Fave XLR cables?

ventura

Experienced
Who's using what and why? Interested in knowing what some decent brands are out there to connect the A2 to FRFR set ups. Maybe it makes no difference at all, maybe it does. Hence the reason for my pondering.

Any information, really appreciated.

Mo

I use Mogami ... because they're expensive? ;) ... I have some 3 ft generics and they sound the same as far as I can tell.

my concern with cheap cables (eg 25 foot less than $5 or so) is only that they break easily. the signal still gets from point A to point B.

i've personally found no benefit from $100+ xlr cables in a live situation. some say there's more tone/signal present, but i just use the normal stuff and adjust my tone based off that.

with more signal present, i'd probably have to roll off the lows and highs and turn down the level, so what's the point :)

hosa, horizon, usually anything around $25 for 25 feet is good.

I use Mogami cables for everything. Guaranteed for life, and they use the best components. Never had one go out on me ever.

Anyone here have experience with Lavacable's product called "The Fountain" ??

I've used Lava in several apps before, and they're quality awesome ropes. Just wondering how things look with these XLR connectors that they offer.

Thanks,
Mo

For line-level signals, only two things matter: durability and shielding. Shielding keeps interference at bay. Durability gives you something you can rely on. If the shielding is good and you're sending a line-level signal, every XLR cable will sound exactly the same as any other.

Steer clear of the really cheap stuff, because it's often not very durable, and sometimes the shielding is skimpy. Any XLR cable that's medium-priced or above will do fine.

For line-level signals, only two things matter: durability and shielding. Shielding keeps interference at bay. Durability gives you something you can rely on. If the shielding is good and you're sending a line-level signal, every XLR cable will sound exactly the same as any other.

Steer clear of the really cheap stuff, because it's often not very durable, and sometimes the shielding is skimpy. Any XLR cable that's medium-priced or above will do fine.
Worthy post.

Thnx,
Mo

Decision made - going with Gotham quad double shield w/ gold Neutrik ends. Seem to be the best balance of defensible quality and tech with price and value.

Back
Top Bottom