Fattening the sound

Pete

Inspired
Whats the best way to fatten a sound with just adding EQ or BASS etc?

I have a sound I like and it sounds good... but I just want to "fatten" it.. sort of like a doubler/double tracked kinda thing.

Thanks very much! :)

Pete

More mids fatten a sound. The other quick approach is a short delay (anything between about 30mS and 150mS) set at a low level - enough to make a difference but not so much that it's an obvious delay effect - maybe make the delay tone more middle focussed as well.

well that's two questions

"how can i fatten a sound with eq"...and "how can i fatten a sound by double tracking"

if you like the sound, then i wouldn't mess with the eq

the enhancer (both modes) is one way to "widen" a sound - use after the cab block

the chorus can also fatten up a sound - pick one of the stereo types. mix at 50%, but depth low

the detune in the pitch block is another method. pan the detuners hard left and right. set on to +5ct and the other to -5ct. play with the mix control to get the amount of depth you want

or if you want to simulate double tracking, then place a volume block on the main line after the cab. turn the balance control all the way to the left.

underneath the volume block, in parallel, place a delay block. select digital mono. set time to 12ms, mix to 100% and turn the echo pan parameter to 100

if you want something more subtle, then use a short delay as suggested. pick the digital stereo type and set "ratio" to 97%. this will give it some width. also try adding modulation

I don't like using an EQ to fatten a sound, instead I normally start by tweaking the tonestack frequency (it will add/remove meat to taste) and then fine tune bass mid and treble. After this I normally go with a chorus or a very short delay.

There was a trick that someone mentioned a while back. Try adding a second speaker cabinet and use the 1x6 oval (that's right). It must be very midrange rich, because it really does a (good) number on the tone of the patch in terms of 'beefiness' .

Pete

Another low-cpu-cost method is to add a filter block. Set it to a fairly narrow Q, start with gain of 6db or so, and sweep the frequency back and forth to find the sweet spot. The majority of guitar frequency response is centered around 500hz or so.

You can also use this method for subractive EQ - set Q to the narrowest width, gain maxed, then sweep the frequency until you find the one that sounds worst. Then reduce the gain until it sounds right.

I used to use the ADA MP1 back in the 80's, and a couple of rigs since. The originals had a particular annoying frequency, around 600 - 800hz IIRC, adding an EQ to cut that made a night and day difference in the tone.

i do double tracks(record twice and pan Left & Right 100%). it makes the guitars sound nice and big.
also forces you to play more consistantly.
i run a guitar group-track with a modest stereo widener and fxSend comp so you arent fighting with everything else. i used to use chorus to fatten the track, but i wound up with it sounding muddy (i like a crisp/articulated sound, myself).
trying to use eq always messed with my tone.
any other method ive tried was kinda transparent in comparison.
IMO, of course!

but then again, i dont know if you are talking about running a live rig or recording...

for a live rig, use a 5150's fx loop as your power amp.

or tweak your settings. i can get major meat out of the axe>ss amp>mesa recto 212.

Whats the best way to fatten a sound with just adding EQ or BASS etc?

I have a sound I like and it sounds good... but I just want to "fatten" it.. sort of like a doubler/double tracked kinda thing.

Thanks very much! :)

Pete

Hi, I had good results with the ULTRA adding Early Reverb, eventually you can associate an envelope control to the ER level so to soften a bit. With the II using the room level parameters (& cab choice & settings of course) absolutely does the job for me.

Back
Top Bottom