Fasten the FM3 to a board with magnets?

Got an idea after seeing the system Blug uses for his Amp1, where you fasten two small Neo magnets to the board and
those then hold the amp1 in place.

Got to thinking that 4 or so of those type of magnets (each holding like 5-10kg's each
depending on where you get them) could hold down the Fm3 with no need for velcro, no need to remove the rubber ends,
and makes for a easy attach/detach (as I would use it both on a board and in the studio). There are some rubber coacted versions
as well that I'd go for to minimise the risk of damaging the surface.

Can't imagine this damaging the actual electronics in the unit itself when placed underneath, but maybe someone at Fractal could weigh in?

https://www.amazon.se/MUTUACTOR-Gum...d1-a831-7592cdf1a237&pd_rd_i=B07WGMLK6P&psc=1

Last edited:
I’d be curious to know how you make out with this. It pained me to take the rubber feet off and stick 3M locking tape to my FM3

Two things such strong magnets (at least strong enough to hold a FM3) would harm; standard hard drives and guitar pickups. Also it might mess up any effects or other items with Hall effect sensors, but that is kind of rare on a footpedal (some potless wahs and other rocker pedals might use this).

I can't think of anything in the FM3 that might be harmed, and if the case is steel, that might protect the innards anyway. But I would never try it until it is cleared by Fractal. If you slap a strong magnet close to a transformer in a power supply, my gut tells me that might be a bad thing. And the FM3 has at least one transformer, and probably multiple ones (every switching supply and most isolating DC-DC converters have transformers).

I used magnets to hold the grill on my F12 cab. I wanted them to hold strong but still easy to pull off the grill. Since I wasn’t sure about strengths etc I emailed these guys and described my situation. They recommended some magnets and that is what I used. They’re perfect for the job.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=1

Neodymium magnets and electronics DO NOT mix. Outside of the possible damage to any nearby CPU/memory components, or the tendency for strong magnets to slowly realign other objects' electrons and make them magnetic over time, there are other factors worth considering:

1. Neos are super strong and will not wanna let go of your device. There is no way to counteract their effect outside of brute force and their strength goes parabolic with proximity. You're 100% gonna ruin the finish on your FM the first time you try to remove it from your board. Either the magnet will get what's underneath the paint, or you'll make mess of things with whatever leverage you're trying to employ.

2. You can get away using very little Dual Lock to anchor the FM down, and the strips are easily removable from the unit with a little alcohol. Mine is held down with 4, 1" strips, and she's not going anywhere.

3. Magnets may potentially cause issues with signal flow, current, or even interference depending on their proximity to electronic devices.

The short of it: please please please don't put magnets on your Fractal!

Source: Worked in coolant filtration for 13 years and had to work around frighteningly large neos. Annual phone upgrades were mandatory. Every tool I own acquired a magnetic charge.

You can wait for Fractal to weigh in, but I wouldn't put rare earth magnets near anything electrical, especially sensitive electronics.

They come in different strengths. I’m not advising using them but at lower strengths it might not be a problem. Look at your average FRFR. The amps are close to the magnetic field of the speakers. It doesn’t seem to phase them.

I spent a little time looking into this and it doesn’t seem to be a bad idea. Modern electronics and magnets mix in many products. Not like the old days with magnetic disks and CRT screens.

@Richard Lainegard check out the site I posted. There’s a lot of magnet tech info to look over. If you want some advice on applications they seem happy to help.

Last edited:
Lower strength are no issue at all. I've been using them for years when I made KickTags and now various other things for Fractal units. Kicktags have been round the world on multiple tours with Vai, Deftones and others (with up to 50 small neos on one board) and no issue whatsoever.

The bigger issue you're going to have is movement. Unless your magnet has enough surface area to grab the metal, it will slide, so your FM3 will move around. If you go for a mega strength super size one, it won't be cheap and could cause issues in removal and, if it's THAT strong, potentially other issues.

I think velcro is the way to go with this. Easier, no risk and still easy to move around. I make mounting feet specifically for this to avoid you having to remove end caps and what not, or you can easily make your own if you have the time/ materials

Here's a link to the ones I provide.

https://www.zenrigs.com/store/Mounting-Risers-p206618095

That’s true about the slippage. You could use magnets to hang pictures, but would need something rigid to stop the vertical slip.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, conclusion is to stay clear of the neo magnets (for this purpose at least),
and I'll try to find a sweet spot for the minimum amount of 3M Dual Lock (black) needed to make it come on/off easily.

Back
Top Bottom