jdiz86

I've been using the axe fx II xl+ as an audio interface since purchasing it about 6 months. I have an old Fast Track Pro (FTP) that I used for recording previously by micing my amps, but since having the axe fx it's been collecting dust and I haven't really though about using it... until purchasing a pair of studio monitors.

I would like to not have to turn on my axe fx to listen to music out of my monitors. But I'm wondering if i would be doing myself a disservice by connecting to FTP when recording? Will it reduce the quality of the signal and recording?

The FTP is the only audio interface I've owned, and my knowledge of what a quality DAC or pre-amp is is pretty limited. I recently resurrected the FTP and noticed it has spdif connections on the back panel, which was a surprise. So I've ordered some spdif cables online to try it out, but haven't received them yet.

My recordings involve me recording my guitar and bass via axe fx and using superior drummer. I would like to add vocals at some point too. Is the FTP a serviceable device for my purposes, or has the world of audio interfaces evolved to such a degree that I should consider moving onwards and upwards? Once I connect spdif to the FTP, am i automatically using the sound card in the FTP? I imagine the axe fx's is far superior.

Please help me out :) I'm thinking of the scarlette 6i6 or perhaps the audient id14. I feel like spdif is key in an audio interface. less conversions and cables. but maybe both of these options are more than i need as well. confused.

It’ll be more than fine. In the world of hobbyists, project, and even many “pro” studios, AD/DA conversion is FAR from the weak point in the recording process. A talented engineer with a couple decades of experience under his belt can produce a better quality recording using a computers built in audio 3.5mm jack than most, even if they were they using a $50k signal chain of the greatest converters, pre’s, and outboard gear they can get their hands on could. I can promise you fall into the latter category, so focus on technique and don’t worry about the gear at this stage.

Just hook them both up and see if they fight with each other. I run the FX and a Focusrite 18i8 and it is a nice way to go after to get the ins and out figured out. The FTP should be fine if the drivers are up to date on the AVID side of things.

Back
Top Bottom