Faslink problems?

tallcoolone

Inspired
I'm having issues with Faslink since I swapped out my Ethernet connection on my front panel where everything is routed. I guess my #1 main question is does the Faslink do EVERYTHING that the Ethernet did? My worry is that it does not and I have just ripped out my MIDI and Ethernet connections on the front panel.

What kind of issues? The FASLink should do everything that ethercon and midi does. I assume you set your MFC mode to FASLink?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FASLINK does everything except its more reliable and durable in a live environment. Uses standard XLR cables that you can find anywhere if one goes bad - there are always spares at a gig unlike "Ethernet" cables.

I'm having issues betting my expression pedal to work after I updated everything, but that very well could be user error. As long as faslink does do everything Ethernet does (carry update info to the MFC, etc) I am very relieved. I agree XLR cables are better for live use, but ONLY if I can rely on that for everything and not have to crack open my rack case every time there is an update.

Yes I switched the MFC over.

Why did you put ethernet in quotes?

Because its not Ethernet. Ethernet is a really a network protocol, originally developed by Robert Metcalfe at Xerox with help from DEC. The cable that is often used for Ethernet is a twisted pair cable, typically CAT5(e) or CAT6, and usually with an RJ45 connector at each end. The RJ45 connector looks like a phone cable connector (RJ12), only bigger. The Axe-Fx does not implement Ethernet or other networking protocols and transports for communicating with the MFC-101. It does use the same cable though. If you used the "Ethernet" port on either the MFC-101 or Axe-Fx to connect the equipment to your computer network interface I'm pretty sure that you would enjoy the unmistakable aroma of electrical fire as circuits and/or cabling being to burn. Probably pop some capacitors too :) So, there are no Ethernet interfaces on either the Axe-Fx or the MFC-101 and thus the cable isn't an "Ethernet" cable per se and I used the quotes. FAS wisely chose to use ubiquitous cable standards for their gear. Imagine what a pain it would be if you had to use some proprietary cable, available only from FAS, to connect their gear? Or even the dreaded "standard" 14-pin cables used by many of the hexaphonic magnetic and piezo guitar pickups. Ugh. Thanks FAS for all the right choices you make!

I was pretty much a die-hard "Ethernet" cable user until FASLINK came along. Much better idea!
-G

P.S. Ethernet is also commonly found running over Coax cable as well, like those the Cable TV providers use, with a single wire down the center with a braided shielding wire around it, so that is also an "Ethernet" cable.

Last edited:
I'm having issues with Faslink since I swapped out my Ethernet connection on my front panel where everything is routed. I guess my #1 main question is does the Faslink do EVERYTHING that the Ethernet did? My worry is that it does not and I have just ripped out my MIDI and Ethernet connections on the front panel.

The physical cable connection does not make any difference when connecting an MFC-101 to an Axe-FX.
The signaling speed is the same for all cables regardless if it's Category_5_cable or EtherCON or FASLINK.
In this case, FAS is sending MIDI and Power over a standardized, readily available, electrical cable.
They send the same power and MIDI data over the cables, regardless of physical cable design.
And yes, Faslink does everything the Cat_5 or Ethercon cables did.

P.S. The MFC-101 and Axe-FX has nothing to do with Ethernet. Some models use a Cat_5 cable for sending MIDI/Power and we commonly refer to Cat_5 cables as Ethernet cables, but "Ethernet" is not used at all. :)

You guys are hilarious--I rep Commscope and sell about $30m in 4 pair a year. Thanks for the lessons though!

But seriously thanks for clearing up my worries that I was going to need to run a MIDI cable every time I update the AXE. I do need to power up and use MIDI to update the MFC though, right?

Check with Chris K's videos on the proper way(s) to update your MFC-101.
He makes great educational videos.
I also recommend reviewing the notes on the Axe-FX wiki.

You guys are hilarious--I rep Commscope and sell about $30m in 4 pair a year. Thanks for the lessons though!

But seriously thanks for clearing up my worries that I was going to need to run a MIDI cable every time I update the AXE. I do need to power up and use MIDI to update the MFC though, right?

Correcf.

Back
Top Bottom