Faslink, Ethernet or Ethercon ?

mattseed

Inspired
Hi guys I am looking to get a cable to connect my new axe fx to my new MFC III. Now I know they have the new faslink cable option on there but this seems to cost a fair bit and from what I gather the advantage is that it's super solid, however I don't ever play live so that's not really an issue for me. Would I be ok with just a standard Ethernet cable? Does supply power aswell?

Is it just any old Ethernet and what's the difference bewteen Ethernet and ethercon ?.

Thanks guys
Matthew

Any Ethernet cable will work and will supply power.

Ethercon is an Ethernet connection with a locking housing.

Cheers Rex that's exactly what I wanted to know. Is there any type of Ethernet or ethercon that's right or wrong......or is Ethernet, just Ethernet. I have a few that I used to use with my computer will they be ok?

Matt

Cheers Rex that's exactly what I wanted to know. Is there any type of Ethernet or ethercon that's right or wrong......or is Ethernet, just Ethernet. I have a few that I used to use with my computer will they be ok?

Matt

Yes they will be just fine.....

Ahhhh I didn't know the faslink was an XLR. Does that just handle the midi info then and so do you have to power the MFC seperatley?

Matt

No, it will handle both midi back/forth and power. So you will only need a regular XLR/XLR cable but since the Axe FX still hasn't FasLink you will need a FasLink/Ethercon adapter which is not available yet.
In the meantime you can use regular computer-ethernet cable.

Cheers Rex that's exactly what I wanted to know. Is there any type of Ethernet or ethercon that's right or wrong......or is Ethernet, just Ethernet.
Any plain old Ethernet cable will work fine. However, a crossover cable won't work. It's not likely that any of your cables are crossover cables.

I use a 7 pin midi cable and power supply in the back of the axe. Just another option for you.

I used to go this route when I was using a 12 space rolling rack. But when I downsized to a 4 space shoulder rack bag, I had to ditch the wall wart in favor of a Besttronics ethernet cable. I like the ethernet for power, but reliability and the horrible durability of ethernet jacks, makes me want to go back to the midi cable.

I used to go this route when I was using a 12 space rolling rack. But when I downsized to a 4 space shoulder rack bag, I had to ditch the wall wart in favor of a Besttronics ethernet cable. I like the ethernet for power, but reliability and the horrible durability of ethernet jacks, makes me want to go back to the midi cable.

Use this in both ends Neutrik NE8FF Feed-Through Ethercon Coupler | Full Compass and an ethercon cable. Then you will never have any problems with the waek ethernet plug.

Use this in both ends Neutrik NE8FF Feed-Through Ethercon Coupler | Full Compass and an ethercon cable. Then you will never have any problems with the waek ethernet plug.

1. Not sure I understand why the coupler - is it to have "stage length" of the ethercon (2 coupled together)?

2. Do "ethercon cables" have the proper input plugs (male or female) to fit into the MFC and the Axe?
And also the coupler??

I'm ready to get them now, so any help is appreciated! thx

EtherNET cables have a weak plastic end, as they were meant for networking and not constant plug/unplug.

EtherCON cables have a metal shell at the end, similar to a male XLR connector which greatly increases their strength for music applications.

The adaptor linked to above will let you keep a very short Ethernet cable plugged in to the MFC/Axe and adaptor (Gen 1 units without Ethercon) and then use the stronger Ethercon cable.

Always wanted to. Consequently I ordered a best tronics ethernet cable and it worked great for a long time. Then one day I thought I lost it and had to use a home internet cable for a show that night. In process of taking out the cable on the MFC, it broke the clips that hold in ethernet cables and now cables dont "click" when they sit. I dont really have the cash to get it repaired, so getting the nuetrik jacks and a whole new ethercon cable isnt really in the cards either. I just have the ethernet cable shoved in and velcro'd over to keep it working...it kinda works. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The adaptor linked to above will let you keep a very short Ethernet cable plugged in to the MFC/Axe and adaptor (Gen 1 units without Ethercon) and then use the stronger Ethercon cable.

Thanks a ton Chris! I do have an Ultra I will use (so I need the adaptor) and also a A2 unit (Ethercon going direct into it, no adapter needed). Is that correct?

Also, length of Ethercon? For live stage use, with amp & cab back a ways behind me. What are people using length-wise?

With all the new CAT5 driven technology finding its way to live music, several manufacturers have addressed the durability issue surrounding traditional CAT5 network cables.

Duracat, Gepco and Eurocable manufacture a "road worthy" type of cable commonly referred to as "tactical Cat5 cable". Rather than a cheesy PVC jacket wrapped around the cable, they've somehow figured out how to wrap it with a rubberized jacket much like a guitar cable. It also coils just like a guitar cable - another issue with traditional network cables.

To address the cheesy plastic RJ45 connectors used as the "jacks", Neutrik sells an ingenious housing that can be added to an existing cable. The housing looks just like an XLR plug and is called "Ethercon".

Tactical CAT5 cable and Ethercon connectors are the way to go if you're playing out live allot. Investing a few extra bucks will save you major headaches at a gig if someone inadvertently steps on your cable and the RJ45 cracks.

Check out Redco audio. They sell the three brands of tactical cable I mentioned above and will also make any length cable you want with Ethercon connectors if you choose. They even have a pretty slick custom cable ordering application on their website. Eurocable is about $1.00 per foot, Gepco about $.085 and Duracat is about $.045. Bulk Network & Control Cable | Redco Audio

There's also a guy on ebay selling tactical cables pretty cheap and has them in all lengths. Elite Core 10' ft Durable Cat5e Cable w Neutrik Ethercon Series RJ45 Connectors | eBay

NOTE: The Ethercon Male plug on your cable will only fit into the Ethercon female receptacle. So if you have an older Axe or MFC, you'll need to fashion yourself an adapter box using the female Ethercon "passthru" adapter like I had to do

Reactions: sam
With all the new CAT5 driven technology finding its way to live music, several manufacturers have addressed the durability issue surrounding traditional CAT5 network cables. Duracat, Gepco and Eurocable manufacture a "road worthy" type of cable commonly referred to as "tactical Cat5 cable". Rather than a cheesy PVC jacket wrapped around the cable, they've somehow figured out how to wrap it with a rubberized jacket much like a guitar cable. It also coils just like a guitar cable - another issue with traditional network cables. To address the cheesy plastic RJ45 connectors used as the "jacks", Neutrik sells an ingenious housing that can be added to an existing cable. The housing looks just like an XLR plug and is called "Ethercon". Tactical CAT5 cable and Ethercon connectors are the way to go if you're playing out live allot. Investing a few extra bucks will save you major headaches at a gig if someone inadvertently steps on your cable and the RJ45 cracks. Check out Redco audio. They sell the three brands of tactical cable I mentioned above and will also make any length cable you want with Ethercon connectors if you choose. They even have a pretty slick custom cable ordering application on their website. Eurocable is about $1.00 per foot, Gepco about $.085 and Duracat is about $.045. Bulk Network & Control Cable | Redco Audio There's also a guy on ebay selling tactical cables pretty cheap and has them in all lengths. Elite Core 10' ft Durable Cat5e Cable w Neutrik Ethercon Series RJ45 Connectors | eBay NOTE: The Ethercon Male plug on your cable will only fit into the Ethercon female receptacle. So if you have an older Axe or MFC, you'll need to fashion yourself an adapter box using the female Ethercon "passthru" adapter like I had to do
Wow, many thanks for posting those links. Those cables look MUCH better for use on the road for sure.

I use a pigtail Ethernet cable to that ethercon pass through box posted above. Allows me to have an ethercon connector on my cable, pass through box is mounted to my pedal board. (V1 mfc so I only have the midi or Ethernet). It's a great option.

Back
Top Bottom