FASLINK Adapters? (XLR to Ethercon)

Are there any images of what the FASlink looks like or what the advantages of this are over the previous connection methods?

Are there any images of what the FASlink looks like or what the advantages of this are over the previous connection methods?

It lets you use an XLR cable where the ends are more robust than the cat 5 or ethercon connection methods.

Wait... FASlink uses a basice standard XLR cable to carry the necessary data/power using the three pins? Genius!

Regarding size, picture a medium size toothpaste box or a touch smaller (if I remember rightly, 4-5" long, square end big enough to fit an XLR connector.)

Ethernet connection on one end, XLR on the other, and I think they were specific as to function (one to send from Axe, one to receive at MFC.) This was back from Axe-Fest when they were showing prototypes.

TT

In addition to what's above, I believe the main benefit was the use of a common XLR cable. Most gig situations will have an extra XLR lying around if you need one, rather than an Ethernet or long MIDI cable.

I think it's most beneficial with the units with the XLR/FASlink jacks onboard. But the adaptors allow anyone to use it with any combo of gear (but you might lose the adaptor haha).

Lots of stages have XLR based snakes, boxes, tie lines etc.

It makes it easier to put the MFC on the stage without running a separate midi or cat-5 snake.

I think it's most beneficial with the units with the XLR/FASlink jacks onboard. But the adaptors allow anyone to use it with any combo of gear (but you might lose the adaptor haha).

I'm seriously considering picking up an adaptor for my MKII Axe to connect to my MKIII MFC. I'd just mount it via Velcro to the back of my rack. Harder to lose it that way. :)

Back
Top Bottom