FAS Modern. Boost or no boost?

rsf1977

Fractal Fanatic
I keep going back and forth with the boost on the FAS Modern, what are you guys doing with it?

I've always liked subtle boosts. They tend to tighten up the bass just a tad and can always add some cool touch sensitivity, so where a light touch will produce a little bit more of a "crinkly" sound and feel as opposed to a more rounded off, less defined one.

I don't have all that much experience with the FAS Modern amp sim, but if it's similar to other rectos, then being familiar with them I'd at least say a boost couldn't hurt.

I see what you are saying about thetightness and the crinkle. Crinkle is a really good description

I use a TS circuit on the front end set quite flat but that is it.
Never use the onboard boost in the model as it is 12db IIRC- too much for me.

Man, I go back and forth on it. Sometimes I think it sounds good, sometimes I think the OD pedals on the Axe add a bit too much compression and edge to my signal. Mostly, I settle for putting a GEQ in front of the amp sim and boosting 500 and 1000 a little bit, cutting some of the lows and ultra highs.

I use a TS circuit on the front end set quite flat but that is it.
Never use the onboard boost in the model as it is 12db IIRC- too much for me.

Keep in mind with the new firmware that the boost is now adjustable. :)

I usually keep it off and boost with a TS instead, but I'll try that on my main metal patch now that you guys mentioned the improved pick response. Thanks!

I usually keep it off and boost with a TS instead, but I'll try that on my main metal patch now that you guys mentioned the improved pick response. Thanks!

oh really, i didn't even realize. that's good to know, thanks!

Incorrect. The boost in the amp block is the same as it has always been, just has a knob graphic now and can have a modifier assigned to it.
Input Trim is the adjustable input boost/cut.
That being said, I like to use the boost on the FAS Modern and set the gain low. :)

Incorrect. The boost in the amp block is the same as it has always been, just has a knob graphic now and can have a modifier assigned to it.
That being said, I like to use the boost on the FAS Modern and set the gain low. :)

that's what i'm doing now as well. It just has more bite and aggression

Thanks for clarifying this. I was having a hell of a time trying to find info on it in the forums and wiki.

I like no boost for the fact that there is less "hair".

I agree. I hardly ever use and even try to avoid using the boost (in the amp block) on most models because it makes it sound too "hairy" or "fizzy" for my tastes. There are a few models that I raise the input trim on just slightly.

On most high gain amps (including the FAS Modern) I usually set up a drive block before the amp with drive at 0 and level around 9 and keep the gain low in the amp block (usually 2-3).

Back
Top Bottom