FAS drive

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
i keep coming across mention of the new FAS drive. What's all the fuss about?

Question on drive blocks, it was my impression that the different drives are just the same block but with the settings changed to match real world drive pedals. In other words you could start with any drive block and tweak the values to end up with any other model. Is this true or is there differences hard wired under the hood for different models?

Question on drive blocks, it was my impression that the different drives are just the same block but with the settings changed to match real world drive pedals. In other words you could start with any drive block and tweak the values to end up with any other model. Is this true or is there differences hard wired under the hood for different models?

That's a good question that @Admin M@ didn't specifically address on a TGP post referenced in the Wiki - http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Effects

They are labeled as "G3 Drives" which indicates some sort of reference accuracy. Also, IIRC, the FAS Boost and the new delay types like Deluxe Mind Guy were added to the Axe-Fx II at the same time. The new delay types got added to FX8 very soon after. It took awhile for the FAS Boost to show up in the FX8, which leads me to assume that the drive types aren't just parameter presets.

Also, the drive knob responds very differently depending on the type selected. There's a lot more to a drive circuit than just the clipping type, bias, and slew limit.

The Drive types are individual models, just like the amp models. Unlike the delays types, which are variations of a (couple of) delay algorithms.

The FAS Boost is pretty awesome. It's now the go-to on several of my presets, though there are a few where I just like the sound of the Fulltone or the Tube Screamer ones better. But it's a really nice boost, and I'm glad they added it. Also love the deluxe mind guy. That's probably my new go-to delay also.

+1 on FAS Boost. it's really transparent. before OD808 was my go to drive pedal but it all changed with the introduction of Fas Boost. great model.

Back
Top Bottom