FAS Custom Amp Models

G-Man Music

Experienced
I was messing around with the FAS Lead 1 & 2 which sound REALLY good, but was wondering what do these and the other FAS custom amps based on? What power tubes do each immulate?

Axisman5150 said:
I was messing around with the FAS Lead 1 & 2 which sound REALLY good, but was wondering what do these and the other FAS custom amps based on? What power tubes do each immulate?

I believe they are modded versions of the Triaxis. Mesa poweramp, I believe.

Thx Java,

Yeah, the FAS lead 1,2 sound very similar to the USA models. In fact after playing around with them, I almost prefer those models over the USA ones. Not that the USA's don't sound good.

But it would be nice to get a little more specs/description on all the FAS custom amps just to give us an idea what their tonal pallette might be.

Either way, I think these custom models are great! If some of you haven't explored them, check them out!

I agree. The reason I almost never use the FAS models is because in my head it's just always easier to start with an amp model of an amp I'm already familiar with.

Specific descriptions for the FAS models would really help, too. Instead of "sounds great for high gain!" it would be cool it it read more like "crunchy and dry highs and mids of the Mark IV with the thick low end of the Uberschall!" or whatever. I don't really care what the recommended music style is, I just want to know exactly what the amp is on a technical level.

Here's what Cliff said about FAS Lead 1&2 on the old forum:

"If you like the USA Leads you might like the FAS Leads as they are derived from the USA models but a little less compressed and focused."

http://www.setbb.com/axefx/viewtopic.ph ... orum=axefx

As for the FAS Modern sim, the manual says it is a hybrid amp. My best guess based on that, and what it sounds like, is that it is a cross between a Mesa Mark series amp and a Recto, but I may be completely wrong.

GreatGreen said:
I agree. The reason I almost never use the FAS models is because in my head it's just always easier to start with an amp model of an amp I'm already familiar with.
While I understand what you're saying which is why I've learned to follow my ears. I ignore what I think it's supposed to sound like and just go by what it does sound like. Case in point - before I switched to the Axe-FX I used MP-1s and the model that allows me to replicate that sound is the USA Lead 2 (Triaxis). I just rolled through presets, found one that sounded close and tweaked it.

Specific descriptions for the FAS models would really help, too. Instead of "sounds great for high gain!" it would be cool it it read more like "crunchy and dry highs and mids of the Mark IV with the thick low end of the Uberschall!" or whatever.
...which is great if you know what those amps are supposed to sound like. I've never played through an Uberschall so all I know is that it sounds good to me for some things.

Matt_B said:
While I understand what you're saying which is why I've learned to follow my ears. I ignore what I think it's supposed to sound like and just go by what it does sound like. Case in point - before I switched to the Axe-FX I used MP-1s and the model that allows me to replicate that sound is the USA Lead 2 (Triaxis). I just rolled through presets, found one that sounded close and tweaked it.
Hey, I follow my ears too... but the Axe-Fx has over what, 60 different amp models? :D I wish I did, but I just don't always have time to sit down and really get to know the specific characteristics of 60 individual amplifiers when I'm trying to create one specific tone at the time. Don't get me wrong, I love that I have as many options as I do, and would only add to the list if given the opportunity to change it, but if I'm looking for a specific type of tone, picking from a list, and don't have quite as much time as I need to fully explore things, I'm going to go with what I already know... and I'd imagine most other people would do the same thing.

which is great if you know what those amps are supposed to sound like. I've never played through an Uberschall so all I know is that it sounds good to me for some things.

I see what you're saying, but neither situation is perfect. I think the lesser of the two evils would be to have the technical description, if only because it would be more specific than a description of the amp sim's purpose. There are a tons of different sounds that could fall under the description of "An awesome mid-gain tone for up-front Rock!" There aren't quite as many sounds that fall under "a mix between a Plexi and a Recto" or "the highs of an AC-30 and the lows of a Twin."

This is useful information:

If you like the USA Leads you might like the FAS Leads as they are derived from the USA models but a little less compressed and focused.

Even if you don't know what an Uberschall sounds like (I don't), it can help to know what family the model came from, and maybe its siblings.

My take:

Metal = Marshall(?) with more gain, more treble, tweaked tonestack (tweaked how?)

Big Hair = Marshall? Peavey? with mid-boost

Hellbeast = radical and unconventional = ????

Supertweed = Tweed + gain

Fusion = no idea - what are the most popular amps for "fusion/blues solo work"?

FAS Clean = Fender/Mesa hybrid (Blackface + USA Clean, as it says in the manual)

FAS Crunch = Marshall/Mesa hybrid?

FAS Lead 1/2 = Mesa with more dynamics (see above)

FAS Modern = cross between Mesa rhythm and lead channels?

I'd like to know more about the Hellbeast - I'd initially guessed from the name that it might be a Reverend Hellhound, but after reading the description that's definitely not the case (and the HH wouldn't make much sense anyway). I'm guessing it's either another hi-gain metal model (a mutant Marshall maybe?) or, judging by the description, something completely new Cliff came up with that's unrelated to anything else. I assume it's for teh brutalz, but some direction (ie, what Cliff found interesting about it) might help.

And it doesn't sound like any of the customs are based on the Vox amps or their offspring.

chase said:
This is useful information:

If you like the USA Leads you might like the FAS Leads as they are derived from the USA models but a little less compressed and focused.

Even if you don't know what an Uberschall sounds like (I don't), it can help to know what family the model came from, and maybe its siblings.

My take:

Metal = Marshall(?) with more gain, more treble, tweaked tonestack (tweaked how?)

Big Hair = Marshall? Peavey? with mid-boost

Hellbeast = radical and unconventional = ????

Supertweed = Tweed + gain

Fusion = no idea - what are the most popular amps for "fusion/blues solo work"?

FAS Clean = Fender/Mesa hybrid (Blackface + USA Clean, as it says in the manual)

FAS Crunch = Marshall/Mesa hybrid?

FAS Lead 1/2 = Mesa with more dynamics (see above)

FAS Modern = cross between Mesa rhythm and lead channels?

I'd like to know more about the Hellbeast - I'd initially guessed from the name that it might be a Reverend Hellhound, but after reading the description that's definitely not the case (and the HH wouldn't make much sense anyway). I'm guessing it's either another hi-gain metal model (a mutant Marshall maybe?) or, judging by the description, something completely new Cliff came up with that's unrelated to anything else. I assume it's for teh brutalz, but some direction (ie, what Cliff found interesting about it) might help.

And it doesn't sound like any of the customs are based on the Vox amps or their offspring.

Except for the Buttery which is only loosely modeled on a Buddha according to the manual.

javajunkie said:
chase said:

Except for the Buttery which is only loosely modeled on a Buddha according to the manual.

Right! Good point. I like that model a lot, actually; I wonder how it differs from the "original".

Back
Top Bottom