FAS Class-A is...Even Better than the Real Thing

I haven't spent much time with the FAS Vox. Thanks for the heads up. In general I agree with you trb - the FAS models I have used are consistently fun - I'm surprised there's not more discussion about them.

FAS Modern III is still my live amp model and has been for a few years. Feels like a blend of Mark/Recto.

If I had my way there would be only FAS models but too many people demand reproductions of existing amps.

This thread got me messing around with the Class-A and Supertweed models, and they are feeling great to me. So much easier to dial a good tone in than some of the tweed / class a amp models, and the "feel" is really satisfying to play with. I'm not at all a high gain guy, so I wonder if there would ever be any plans to make other custom FAS models, like a blackface or a JTM or a Supro, or whatever else I'm not thinking of right now.

So much easier to dial a good tone in than some of the tweed / class a amp models

I'm finding that too. On the FAS Class A, the gain level doesn't really seem to mush out the amp as you turn it up. Takes boost, overdrive, and distortion pedals really well. I could easily use this as my only amp model in my P&W playing. The cleans are really nice too.

The FAS models typically remove or minimize the undesirable characteristics of those old amps. Guitar tube amp design was nascent in the 60s and 70s and designers didn't fully understand the impact of overdriving tubes. One of the biggest issues was blocking distortion which is excessive bias excursion. When the grid conducts it shifts the bias point and in those old amps it can shift so much that the tube goes into cutoff prematurely.

More modern designs employ grid stoppers and smaller coupling capacitors to reduce bias excursion.

The FAS models typically remove or minimize the undesirable characteristics of those old amps. Guitar tube amp design was nascent in the 60s and 70s and designers didn't fully understand the impact of overdriving tubes. One of the biggest issues was blocking distortion which is excessive bias excursion. When the grid conducts it shifts the bias point and in those old amps it can shift so much that the tube goes into cutoff prematurely.

More modern designs employ grid stoppers and smaller coupling capacitors to reduce bias excursion.

That makes sense, even with my extremely limited understanding of what’s really going on. I wonder if there any other 60s / 70s designs that would benefit from being “modernized” this way. Thank you for the response!

Interesting. I remember I used to feel like I had to go to a Plexi for that Marshall sound etc. It’s like I had this sense of authenticity in my head that I had to go to a particular amp model. Now I will just pick Fas Crunch or Fas Class A or Fas Modern II and be done with it.

I love all the FAS amps and use them a lot, but all the time I have spent in the modeling realm has given me a deeper appreciation of the “warts” of the repro-models as well.

When you have a physical tube amp, that unsavory characteristic can seem limiting, but when you have the ability to tweak things in real time or access other sounds in an instant, you grow a deeper fondness for that unique thing that’s inherent to the design.

A tweed amp flubbing out and imploding on itself brings a happy tear to my eye.

I love all the FAS amps and use them a lot, but all the time I have spent in the modeling realm has given me a deeper appreciation of the “warts” of the repro-models as well.

When you have a physical tube amp, that unsavory characteristic can seem limiting, but when you have the ability to tweak things in real time or access other sounds in an instant, you grow a deeper fondness for that unique thing that’s inherent to the design.

A tweed amp flubbing out and imploding on itself brings a happy tear to my eye.

I'm sorry, but your avatar disqualifies you from having a credible opinion here. Perhaps until and unless you show us a video of you reproducing the keyboard solo from "Muskrat Love" on guitar via the AxeFX III.

Back
Top Bottom