FAS Boost

Oooooh, now I'm excited, Can't wait to get home tonight and load 1.02. I have been struggling to get a boost that works without colouring the tone too much. My "other" band "Coastal Drift" is a much quieter affair than "The Bight" and as such I need something to just drive the Tele without getting a distorted tone. I'm hoping this is the pedal to do it :)

Aren't the mxr distortion + and dod 250 nearly identical? You should be able to switch the distortion + plus to silicone diode and keep your gain low and output high to get close to the dod

There's no S/H in the axe is there?
Yeah, you can throw a random filter over phasers and the like and come reasonably close, but the dirty robotic depth is missing. That's the key. No digital emulation that I've tried has been able to nail it yet. But it may be out there or untapped, I don't know.

Oooooh, now I'm excited, Can't wait to get home tonight and load 1.02. I have been struggling to get a boost that works without colouring the tone too much. My "other" band "Coastal Drift" is a much quieter affair than "The Bight" and as such I need something to just drive the Tele without getting a distorted tone. I'm hoping this is the pedal to do it :)

Why don't you just use a filter block or the input trim? Those will boost without any colour.

I tried it in front of the Vibroverb Sim with a SRV Strat and I was really blown away. Then I searched on the forum for it and found this thread. I have had a gold Klon until 2010.This pedal was able to lift an amp very well, but with my more British styled amps it had something in the mids, that I didn't always like, I think with Fenders it's a better match. I haven't heard those mids in the FAS Boost, but I've tried it with the Vibroverb! I think the FAS Boost isn't an accurate model of a Klon, but it has the same 'part of the amp' qualities without any coloring. I really would like to know on which pedal it is based on!

...I think the FAS Boost isn't an accurate model of a Klon, but it has the same 'part of the amp' qualities without any coloring. I really would like to know on which pedal it is based on!

Just so there's no confusion, no one said it was a model of a Klon.

FAS did not give and information as to what the FAS Boost model is based on.

I posted the Klon comment as a joke based on previous forum posts, threads, discussions, and arguments requesting a Klon model. Requests for a Klon have been a hot topic in the past.

Last edited:
I replaced my T808 OD blocks with FAS Boost.
Default settings except Drive between 3 and 4.

FAS Boost sounds better than T808 OD with clean amps.

FAS Boost is comparable to T808 when used with higher gain amps, but adds a little more bite, probably because of its higher Hi Freq value.

I replaced my T808 OD blocks with FAS Boost.
Default settings except Drive between 3 and 4.

FAS Boost sounds better than T808 OD with clean amps.

I did the same, default settings with pretty much the same Drive settings. Sounds fantastic in front of my AC30 block.

Ideal +1. I mostly use edge-of-breakup tones and like a drive pedal that pushes things just over the edge into solo territory without a major tonal difference and this drive block fits the bill perfectly! I used it at rehearsal Wed night and it was perfect. Looking forward to using it live this weekend.

It's not based on anything. It's my take on an ideal boost pedal.

So here is a question. Using the drive block as an example, do you have a specific algorithm for each effects type or is the effect 'created' as a result of the parameters that are set within the drive block?

For example, I noticed that the parameters for the SDD-Preamp and the FAS Boost are the same, but the default values for each are different. Assuming the amp. settings are the same and everything else is constant, is the tone difference a result of; a) only the difference in the parameters, b) a difference in the algorithms used or c) a combination of both?

Thanks

So here is a question. Using the drive block as an example, do you have a specific algorithm for each effects type or is the effect 'created' as a result of the parameters that are set within the drive block?

For example, I noticed that the parameters for the SDD-Preamp and the FAS Boost are the same, but the default values for each are different. Assuming the amp. settings are the same and everything else is constant, is the tone difference a result of; a) only the difference in the parameters, b) a difference in the algorithms used or c) a combination of both?

Thanks

That's a great question. I always felt that effects like the delay block for example, were simply one algorithm with different settings to create the digital, analog and tape delay types. Not separate algorithms for each type.

I've been trying pedals in front of the Triptik Classic this morning and this one is among the best for boosting the sound without losing the nice mid-gain clarity of the amp. Good job, guys. Hard to add that sort of boost and edge without garbaging up the original tone. I like it.

Back
Top Bottom