Fancy displays on products - Yay or Nay?

But even then, do you know and routinely perform hundreds of songs? I can’t even comprehend how I’d manage more than a few dozen. Not to say there aren’t people who need more, but they’re probably a tiny minority.

But even then, do you know and routinely perform hundreds of songs? I can’t even comprehend how I’d manage more than a few dozen. Not to say there aren’t people who need more, but they’re probably a tiny minority.
It's not unusual to have hundreds of songs in your repertoire if you're in a cover band.

Why so obsessed with the idea of limiting the number of presets, just because YOU don't need that many? As said, there are those who do. Me included. Having a ridiculous amount like lets say 5000 saveable presets won't hurt you, if you only use the first 10. Having only 50 would severely hurt me and dissuade me from buying Fractal gear. Considering that on the Axe II they've consistently increased the number of saveable presets with every upgraded version I reckon Fractal knows there is a market for that. Maybe even all those famous artists that they work with telling them more is more. Having less presets isn't going to sell more units, having more presets is.
512 though?

Who knows? Why limit it when you can 5000? Or 50.000? Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. I remember getting my first self assembled PC. It had a 5 Gig HDD. Man, I thought I was NEVER going to fill up that much space. It filled up quicker then I thought. Who knows what the future will bring, but a device that has room to grow will stay relevant longer then a device with no more room to grow.

No, I don’t have a problem with more presets. It’s just that the additional complication of adding a hard drive to AxeFX seems like an overkill for no perceptible benefit. Things are complicated enough as it is. 🤣

Reactions: JTI
The arguments of those who do not need more presets is a dull Déjà vu occurring since the times of the Axe-FX Standard.

It doesn't require a hard disk. It doesn't steal processor power, Don't be afraid, it doesn't bite, It will not harm you, You don't use them if you don't need them...

Last edited:
The arguments of those who do not need more presets is a dull Déjà vu occurring since the times of the Axe-FX Standard.

It doesn't require a hard disk. It doesn't steal processor power, Don't be afraid, it doesn't bite, It will not harm you, You don't use them if you don't need them...

Subtle lol.

To hell with more presets, gimme dat proper glitch.

No, I don’t have a problem with more presets. It’s just that the additional complication of adding a hard drive to AxeFX seems like an overkill for no perceptible benefit. Things are complicated enough as it is. 🤣
Nothing complicated about it. hook a external hardrive up with your presets then call them up when you want them. easy enough.

AxeFX probably doesn’t even have an OS in the traditional sense. :)

Is this thread about fancy displays, or that it would be nice to add a memory expansion of my kind?

Btt, I consider the current (FX III and FM3) display quite fancy. There are some interesting ideas here on improvement, especially the OLED one looks cool to me. But I think a good user experience does a need a good enough way to see what you are doing, and a working way to input those changes. For the smartphone argument: I loved my old smartphone with a (hardware) QWERTZ-keyboard (yep, not from an English speaking country), where I could type blindly based on the haptic feedback. On the other hand, there is stuff which is easier to do (on a smartphone) using a finger (e.g. scrolling a webpage). So: different applications have different sweetspots for input devices, but having a not matching input device for your application is a nightmare.

I'd rather have more effects compared to more presets, ymmv.

Nothing complicated about it. hook a external hardrive up with your presets then call them up when you want them. easy enough.
The biggest size of an Axe FX II preset is 13kb, Assuming a device has storage space for 512 presets that 6,7mb worth of presets. That's frickin' nothing. It's the size of an MP3. I doubt it will eat into any available room for future firmware upgrade.

.... So: different applications have different sweetspots for input devices, but having a not matching input device for your application is a nightmare.
This. I like the knob and button approach, but it seem that touch screen is best on navigation.
So if touch screen display were to be added, navigation button could be removed. Free space for additional footswitch...

Back
Top Bottom