FAN NOISE

kabong

Inspired
When is the quiet fan going to be available? The one in my Ultra is not terrible, but it's definitely noticeable when playing quietly. :roll:

If you're in Europe, G66, the distributor there, replaces the fan.
I don't think I've heard anything about Fractal doing that stateside.

(p.s. apparently my server's down right now, so images probably won't load on that thread temporarily)

whatever G66 use, it's perfect. completely inaudible.
just wish i could find a fan that quiet for my computer :|

I don't recall Cliff saying he was going to replace the fans. Perhaps at some point Fractal will use up the stock of leaf blowers and switch to something quieter but I don't ever recall them promising to swap out existing fans.

For now, I agree it is a DIY project. There is a lot of good info in this very active thread:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3678

kabong said:
If you replace it yourself, doesn't that void the warranty? :?:

I emailed Fractal support. They recommended a replacement fan and told me that the warranty would be unaffected.

To be on the safe side, I suggest that you do the same.

hideous said:
whatever G66 use, it's perfect. completely inaudible.
just wish i could find a fan that quiet for my computer :|

Mine certainly isn't inaudible.
Fairly quiet but I expected less noise with a G66 replaced fan.
Not that I care too much about the noise. It is low enough not to be a problem.
At least I can hear that the fan is running, are you sure yours is actually working?

S.R.

I just replaced a fan in a buddy's Ultra (I've left mine stock). It was a VERY easy procedure and only took a few minutes. As recommend elsewhere in the forum, I used the longer screws (6/32 - 1 1/4") and 5/32 ID rubber O Rings (as substitute washers/vibration dampeners). Fan was much quieter, but you could hear it working (the blades turning).

I never thought the old fan was much of an issue, myself... Had some fun at my buddy's expense... We decided to jam through our Axe-Fx's and we had already had his switched on (with the new silent fan). I looked at him with serious expression and told him to prepare himself as it was about to get REAL loud--he backed up out of the room a bit and put his hands close to his ears in preparation of covering them--I switched on my Ultra with the stock fan and smiled at him. :lol:

Of course, this set the stage for plenty of jokes regarding the mighty roar of my fan and the tombstone whisper of his for the rest of the session. Good times. ;)

Maybe I'll reconsider now that I saw how easy it was to replace the fan, but the old fan didn't really bother me before as it doesn't affect the direct recorded sound (which is how I use my Ultra). Also, if I'm playing through my ref mons, then I'm usually loud enough that it is a non-issue.

Cheers,
-Matt

The fan isn't very loud in the Ultra. When I'm playing, the fan in the ART SLA-2 power amp is much louder, making the point moot.

Now if someone can tell me how to change THAT fan out for a much quieter one, I'd appreciate it very much. It caused me to mic my cabs from another room for making IR's.

jerotas said:
The fan isn't very loud in the Ultra. When I'm playing, the fan in the ART SLA-2 power amp is much louder, making the point moot.

Now if someone can tell me how to change THAT fan out for a much quieter one, I'd appreciate it very much. It caused me to mic my cabs from another room for making IR's.

Before I bought my SLA1 I rented several SLA1s and 2s from a local store.
There was great variance with regards to fan noise between them all.
I took back the 1st SLA1 I purchased and replaced it with another unit that had less fan noise.
If your SLA2 was recently purchased locally you might try sim.

Mine current unit's fan is whisper quiet. I think it might got to a faster more noisier speed if and when it heats up though.

Back
Top Bottom