Famous users of the amp modeling.

In the ‘famous’ department … Metallica and Def Leppard come to mind, besides Petrucci, that have been using Fractal for years.

Chris Broderick when he was with Megadeth, probably still uses Fractal. It's why I entered the modelling realm beginning with Fractal, Chris showed off his rig for the 25th anniversary of Rust in Peace album tour, and he had an AxeFx II. I saw the tour and he hit absolutely everything Marty did on the original RiP tour, and did it like it was no big thing....he was incredible, and he did it with an AxeFx II. I bought a II that week, and a III a month later. :)

Not all of them use it for live amp modelling though. Petrucci and Vai use it for fx only I think? A lot of famous touring guys do it that way I guess, because they are still used to their amps or prefer the hands on control or sound or feel of a real amp.
True... Although Vai is using the amp modeling at least with the Hydra guitar (which I got to see and hear in person last night on the next to last night of the Satch/Vai tour).

I saw live Curt Chambers (Alicia Keys) with the FM9 going direct i suppose, because there were no amps on the stage.
Kurt Rosenwinkel with FX III, not sure if only for effects, because there also was a Twin Reverb on stage....or maybe on the FX loop of the twin.
Isaiah sharkey in some videos (even with John Mayer) with AX8, not sure if for FX only.
Tim Miller with FM3 / AX8 (one of the best guitarist ever in my opinion :dizzy:)

Nik Kershaw who was always very picky with his sounds. Great musician!
(Nguyen Le, a great fusion guitarist. But is he famous, haha?)

Def depends on who you consider famous as most have said. But, like Cooper posted the Artists page is a good resource. I know a lot of guys and gals out with major country artists / bands from Nashville are rocking either Fractal, Quad Cortex, or Kemper. Keith Urban was rocking a Fractal for a bit, but returned to amps. When you have roadies, I do not think it matters ;) One of my all time fav bands Muse was using Fractal, but a recent pic I saw at a soundcheck / rehearsal, Matt had Kempers loaded up. I think at this point, modeling is so spot on, pick your poison. I love my FM9. I have the Kemper toaster as well. My ear prefers Fractal, but I do have a profile on the Kemper that pretty much nails the Brad Paisley sound and on my FM9 I can get it about 95% there. I am waiting and seeing what Neural does and if they indeed can get the plug-ins to sync with the Quad. If they can do that successfully, I will def get one to try because the country and rock tones I got with their plug-ins are killer.

Back
Top Bottom