Famous users of the amp modeling.

Mark Vollelunga have been using Fractal for many years.
Had no idea, before I wanted to learn a few Nothing More songs and studied his gear.

I tried to excitedly tell my local-producer friend about @Admin M@'s As I Lay Dying comment above since we're both fans, and he insists it's a misunderstanding of some sort, and that no band would use an Axe FX 3 if they had physical amps available in the studio. It's nonsense to him.
Anyone know how I can prove to him that big time artists are indeed using the Axe FX 3 in studio these days?

Listen through about 6:05
Hearing it from someone in the inner circle should convince your friend.

Listen through about 6:05
Hearing it from someone in the inner circle should convince your friend.

Wow, this is absolutely fascinating. Shadows Are Security was a massive inspiration to me back in the day, really cool to hear they flat out resurrected the tone for the newest album. But his phrasing is a little odd here, as he seems to imply he wasn't part of the recording process. It's no secret that Phil has always done the majority of the guitar tracking, but I'd assume Ken at least had some direct knowledge of the album's tone.

Very cool info either way.

Wow, this is absolutely fascinating. Shadows Are Security was a massive inspiration to me back in the day, really cool to hear they flat out resurrected the tone for the newest album. But his phrasing is a little odd here, as he seems to imply he wasn't part of the recording process. It's no secret that Phil has always done the majority of the guitar tracking, but I'd assume Ken at least had some direct knowledge of the album's tone.

@susiunearth just posted a thread here the other day ;)

That’s what I understood too. Audi says Sneap was of the view that in case a real amp broke down, they could use the Axe FXIII to punch in. He doesn’t say they used it on the album.

Still, they use it live, and that counts for something.

I tried to excitedly tell my local-producer friend about @Admin M@'s As I Lay Dying comment above since we're both fans, and he insists it's a misunderstanding of some sort, and that no band would use an Axe FX 3 if they had physical amps available in the studio. It's nonsense to him.

Anyone know how I can prove to him that big time artists are indeed using the Axe FX 3 in studio these days?
This should just about sum it up incase someone else refered this... My bad
https://www.fractalaudio.com/artists/

The issue with that list is that we don't know how exactly those artists use it. I can imagine due to the convenience of Fractal units that most of those artists are using them for live play, but we don't know for sure who is using them in the studio and to what extent.
Hell. youtube them... they tell you in there own words they use them.. chris caffery himself just recently did a talk with leon todd.. as far as studio work same situation.. I aint famous (wish I were ) I use them in my studio :cool:

Andy Summers...... Robert Fripp ....... Adrian Belew........ I'm not sure when it comes to sonic guitarists you can get more "famous" - interesting to hear that Tim Miller is using Fractal - he is utterly outstanding, and again by my definition truly "famous" in any way that I appreciate! The guy from The War on Drugs has a gigantic (but surprisingly logical) amp/pedal setup which sounds amazing, but he coyly pointed out that the whole rig is also modelled in a Kemper sitting behind the amps for when it all has a conniption and stops working.....

Last night a random feed on my Instagram was a clip of Jennifer Batten on a Brazilian TV show ripping away on guitar and as the camera panned over a clear shot of the AF3 in the background. Not sure if that was hers or the house' gear or what....

Last edited:
If anyone can convince Angus Young, then FAS has done it :)

I would be interested to know whether there are really studio technicians who let musicians play on tube amps but process the signal in the AXEFX unnoticed.

Back
Top Bottom