Fair Trade?

Can definitely spend less on a controller, and “useable amplification” is cheap enough to get up and running ;) so maybe an extra $400 total.

Can spend exactly zero on it too, his prerogative.

Point was, he possibly has a significant extra cost to consider to enjoy his trade. Sorry that wasn't crystal clear for ya. ;)

My two cents...I picked up my 2nd III Turbo from a guy who said he was touring with it but want to go back to amps and pedals for $1700...when it arrived it was as pristine as mine that hasn't left my desk since it came out of the box...must have the worlds greatest roadies!
You can get this cheaper if you are patient (I'm known for patience:rolleyes:)
Start scoping Reverb, etc. in the mean time put your stuff on the market. You'll need good pair of powered monitors or FRFR and you'll definitely need/want at least a FC-6 if not FC-12.
Also, don't trouble the wife with such things...she probably has enough on her plate and you'll thank her later when she wants something for herself...

Can spend exactly zero on it too, his prerogative.

Point was, he possibly has a significant extra cost to consider to enjoy his trade. Sorry that wasn't crystal clear for ya. ;)
I would likely spend $0 too as I doubt I would even use a footswitch in my office. I mean, it might be cool, but I don’t think I would need it, at least starting out.

My two cents...I picked up my 2nd III Turbo from a guy who said he was touring with it but want to go back to amps and pedals for $1700...when it arrived it was as pristine as mine that hasn't left my desk since it came out of the box...must have the worlds greatest roadies!
You can get this cheaper if you are patient (I'm known for patience:rolleyes:)
Start scoping Reverb, etc. in the mean time put your stuff on the market. You'll need good pair of powered monitors or FRFR and you'll definitely need/want at least a FC-6 if not FC-12.
Also, don't trouble the wife with such things...she probably has enough on her plate and you'll thank her later when she wants something for herself...
I definitely get what you are saying. Maybe I end up making more money by selling off what I have, but it would amaze you how difficult it is to sell off this Lonestar. I bought used for $1500 at GC and thought I paid a reasonable price. Most people are coming in at $900-1000 and I just don’t want to lose that much money for an amp I recently bought.

I would likely spend $0 too as I doubt I would even use a footswitch in my office
It's way better with FC than without it. Changing scenes, on-off drives, etc. Just much more convenient.
But you can buy sub-$50 controllers to try how does it work for you before you but something expensive.

It's way better with FC than without it. Changing scenes, on-off drives, etc. Just much more convenient.
But you can buy sub-$50 controllers to try how does it work for you before you but something expensive.
Recommendations for the cheap alternatives?

I guess also, would the Axe III be a better / more interesting alternative to:

HX Stomp, H90, and Meris LVX / MercuryX?

It's not an alternative to those, not at all. It's the closest thing you can get to real amp, and in many respects it's so much better, as you can have so much stuff packed into a single preset, that you can play for weeks before you ran out of things to try. And all of it will sound head and shoulders above Helix stuff. Just no comparison - that's why it's not an alternative. This is not to say Helix sounds bad - this is to say Fractal sounds way better.

You might have hard time moving your H90 sounds one-to-one into Axe, but with the possibilities you'll have at your fingertips I doubt you'll bother at all.

This said, after the recent updates to modelling I dropped most of my effects and play bare amp and cab blocks, because it is sooooo gooooooood.

I trade a little different, I guess. I don’t need a set of scales so both sides exactly balance. If I get what I want and trade something I don’t mind losing to get that thing I want, it’s equitable to me… whether plus or minus on the value. If value is my point, I sell my gear and buy in cash. “Worth it” can really only be defined by the folks doing the trading!

HX Stomp, H90, and Meris LVX / MercuryX?
Just more complete system. Now having said that, I have a H9, LVX, Big Sky MX and a Walrus Sloer in a loop into the AxeFX...just for variety BUT, you really need nothing because you'll have a hard time finding a better collection of drives, reverbs, etc already at your fingertips.
BTW...the Lonestar model is spot on in the AxeFX...plus the other 320 or so amps.
You'll never regret going Fractal especially for home use...the Axe Edit is worth not having to crawl around connecting cables. Don't even think about the Quad Cortex, Kemper, etc. they'll forever be playing catch-up to Fractal. Good Luck and happy playing!

OP, am I the only one valuing the other guys trade a bit lower?

The Axe Fx is $2499 new, and the SKB is $469 new... I figure if you are looking to sell them you would net around $2100-2200

OP, am I the only one valuing the other guys trade a bit lower?

The Axe Fx is $2499 new, and the SKB is $469 new... I figure if you are looking to sell them you would net around $2100-2200
You’re not wrong, and I feel the same. The long pole in the tent is the Lonestar amp; I’ve had this amp up for sale for a while and very little interest.

A trade is about the best / only way I see myself getting out from under the amp frankly.

You’re not wrong, and I feel the same. The long pole in the tent is the Lonestar amp; I’ve had this amp up for sale for a while and very little interest.

A trade is about the best / only way I see myself getting out from under the amp frankly.
Yea, the amp is tricky, as the used prices are all over the place... This one just sold for $850

https://reverb.com/item/84438914-me...guitar-combo-2005-2020-various?show_sold=true

Probably worth making the trade to get rid of gear you dont need\use, but its not a killer deal.

Yea, the amp is tricky, as the used prices are all over the place... This one just sold for $850

https://reverb.com/item/84438914-me...guitar-combo-2005-2020-various?show_sold=true

Probably worth making the trade to get rid of gear you dont need\use, but its not a killer deal.
Yea I saw that one on Reverb. Actually local to me (ish). I do have a feeling that if I was willing to ship it, I’d be able to move it, but it’s so damn heavy that I just don’t think I could guarantee that it wouldn’t arrive decimated.

I trade a little different, I guess. I don’t need a set of scales so both sides exactly balance. If I get what I want and trade something I don’t mind losing to get that thing I want, it’s equitable to me… whether plus or minus on the value. If value is my point, I sell my gear and buy in cash. “Worth it” can really only be defined by the folks doing the trading!
Plus, sometimes it’s easier to not have to deal with packing and shipping 3x units. Everything gone in one fell swoop.

Convenience has a price yep.

Re controllers - i have a morningstar mc8 not in use because im not playing anything at home that requires on-the-fly changes. Sounds like OP will be in that use case too.

Sounds like OP is taking the deal.

Exactly!

I would likely spend $0 too as I doubt I would even use a footswitch in my office. I mean, it might be cool, but I don’t think I would need it, at least starting out.
Definitely understood. Its a great trade in your favor IMO, and without having to consider the extra $$$ you might have had to spend to gig out of the gate, you're in the catbird seat, brother! Especially with the lastest firmware, its a no brainer. Sounds like you're good to go! Best of luck, hope it all works out for ya! 🤘 :cool:

This 100%.

OP, given that you're already trying to sell the Lonestar, especially with not much interest in it, if I were in your position I'd take the trade. I've made a few trades, none of which I regret. On paper some worked in my favor, others didn't but what I received was something I wanted more than what I had.

Bottom line for me when valuation seems a bit off is did I get what I wanted without giving up something I would miss.

Back
Top Bottom