Extra synth-like notes on certain amps (solved: those are "ghost notes")

Chromatizm

Experienced
I'm hearing an extra "note" with some amps. It sound like I have a synthesizer running in parallel. Please listen to the clip below and tell me what this is and how to get rid of it. The preset is also attached. If you are not hearing it, please make sure you are listening in headphones.

The notes I'm playing are C-B-Bb-A on 15 to 12 fret of A string but D and E strings are also "doing" this. It is reproducible with any guitar I have, even with strings muted on the 7th fret to make sure this is not any kind of extra sound which you typically hear while playing legato on acoustic guitar or harmonics from other strings. It stays and changes pitch when bending too.

You can hear this extra sound/note/something on CAR ROAMER and FAR Class-A very loud and clear.
On Brit 800 and FAS Wreck it is reproducible when setting Hi/Mid/Pres to 0, otherwise it is masked by higher frequencies.

I wasn't able to reproduce this with any Carol-Ann amps on clean channel, ODS-100 clean, Cornfed no matter how hard I tried. I think I might be hearing this with Tucana when Hi/Mid/Pres are set to 0, but really not sure.
It's obvious with Class-A 30W, 59 Bassguy normal, Plexi 100 normal, Citrus clean, many other I've tried (some might need setting Hi/Mid to 0).
It is less obvious with some, like Brit 800 seems not to have it until you set Treble and Mid to 0, set Drive to 2 and crank up the Master to 6 or 7 - you are starting to hear it, not that loud as with Plexi 100 but it is still there.

If this is a known issue with certain designs, can you please let me know which amps do this?

Attachments

• Dissonant notes.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 0
Thank you @Bakerman ! I remember this article, but didn't really hear those until now. So much to learn.

It is sad that we have it some FAS amps. Also, it seems that not only vintage amps have this - like Brit 800, right?

And thanks to @Wolfenstein98k for the suggestion to change Power supply to DC - solved the issue immediately, I can enjoy FAS Class-A again!

Anyway, thanks a lot. Is there a full list of amps with this behavior? Or a way to set all amps to DC to make sure I never hear this again?
BTW, are there any other effects to the sound when switching AC to DC?

It is sad that we have it some FAS amps. Also, it seems that not only vintage amps have this - like Brit 800, right?
Search the Amp block page in the Wiki for “ghost”.

They’re not necessarily bad, they’re an acceptable part of the sound of amps as they amplify the sound of the guitar and are indications of the modeling’s accuracy. You can get rid of it, but if it’s in the model it’s there because the original amp does it, and removing it reduces the accuracy.

My introduction to Fractal was with an AX8, purchased after having several other brand’s units. The ghost notes drove me crazy, and I eventually sold the AX8. I was playing my combo, which is a very good sounding tube amp, and noticed it also had ghost notes, then felt stupid and signed up for the FM3, and haven’t looked back.

Last edited:
Thank you Greg! I'm really happy that the accuracy of the FAS modelling is this high, that's why I bought FM3 :) And I definitely enjoy a lot of stuff created with those amps, and love jamming with Plexi 100W Jumped. But for the stuff I'm working on personally and especially for practicing with a clean sound, I want it all to be ghost-free, so yeah
MV5BMTgxNTM3MDUxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDgwMDgxMjE@._V1_QL75_UX500_CR0,47,500,281_.jpg

Most of the times I stuck with ODS or Tucana anyway, but it's good to know which amps have ghosting anyway!

Thank you Greg! I'm really happy that the accuracy of the FAS modelling is this high, that's why I bought FM3 :) And I definitely enjoy a lot of stuff created with those amps, and love jamming with Plexi 100W Jumped. But for the stuff I'm working on personally and especially for practicing with a clean sound, I want it all to be ghost-free, so yeah
MV5BMTgxNTM3MDUxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDgwMDgxMjE@._V1_QL75_UX500_CR0,47,500,281_.jpg

Most of the times I stuck with ODS or Tucana anyway, but it's good to know which amps have ghosting anyway!
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-high-gain-patches.167371/page-3#post-2165456

I must admit, when it comes to "authentic" issues like ghost notes, it would be great to have a global setting which removes them (such as "Power Supply = DC" being a global setting).

It's wonderful that "warts and all" are modeled, but some of us introduce enough warts with their playing, and don't need any extra to be added!

I must admit, when it comes to "authentic" issues like ghost notes, it would be great to have a global setting which removes them (such as "Power Supply = DC" being a global setting).
It's not very likely it'll become a global setting, but, you can set it in one Amp block in a preset, then tell the modeler to copy that parameter to other presets that you can define using "Set in Multiple Presets", and you can specify if it's all channels or just one, and the modeler will walk through them sequentially, update then save them.

"Set in Multiple Presets" is available by pressing Shift+Control+Command+Click on the parameter's label in Edit on a macOS system. For PCs you'll need to switch one of the keys, but I don't remember whether it's control or command.

Or, you can set that parameter then save your Amp block to the Block Library and reuse it every time.

Back
Top Bottom