External Switch settings

craiguitar

Power User
Hi,
I've attached a single external switch with a TRS Jack to the MFC, and programmed it to 'Scene Incr.' Which will toggle up through scenes. This works well. However, on occasion say when powering up the unit, the Axe-Fx will poll the switch and change scenes automatically. Not a major issue in itself, but can catch me off guard. So is there a way to have the Axe NOT poll the switch? In other words the switch would be entirely passive?

I found that there are many less than perfect ways to use a latching external switch to control Scenes or other things that really require a momentary hardware switch. You can mess with MIDI (Auto Off, Hardware, Toggle) and Hardware (Momemtary, Toggle) settings in the MFC-101, and even drag external controllers into service on the Axe-Fx to get you there but none of them is perfect. I eventually broke down and just changed out my latching switch (in my Mission SP-1) with another momentary switch. Well worth the minimal effort. The MFC-101 can use a momentary switch as Momentary or Toggle but the inverse is not true. The part I purchased (I'm sure there are many more) was a PB-147 10A MOMENTARY PUSHBUTTON, SPST N.O. from AllElectronics.com for $3.75 and I see that the price has dropped to $3.25 since then. It's robust and I'm really happy with it. Here's a link: Momemtary Switch. You can either use a soldering-iron and solder the wires (recommended) or use clips - you can get either or both from your local Radio Shack or whatever.

Swap out the switch. You'll be glad you did.

Thanks guys, I'll probably stick with the switch I have for now, and swap it for a momentary one when I have the cash. At least for now it works kind of OK.

I found that there are many less than perfect ways to use a latching external switch to control Scenes or other things that really require a momentary hardware switch. You can mess with MIDI (Auto Off, Hardware, Toggle) and Hardware (Momemtary, Toggle) settings in the MFC-101, and even drag external controllers into service on the Axe-Fx to get you there but none of them is perfect. I eventually broke down and just changed out my latching switch (in my Mission SP-1) with another momentary switch. Well worth the minimal effort. The MFC-101 can use a momentary switch as Momentary or Toggle but the inverse is not true. The part I purchased (I'm sure there are many more) was a PB-147 10A MOMENTARY PUSHBUTTON, SPST N.O. from AllElectronics.com for $3.75 and I see that the price has dropped to $3.25 since then. It's robust and I'm really happy with it. Here's a link: Momemtary Switch. You can either use a soldering-iron and solder the wires (recommended) or use clips - you can get either or both from your local Radio Shack or whatever.

Swap out the switch. You'll be glad you did.

Good idea to swap the switch. This makes sense, because the existing switch / box I am using was a self build anyway, so , I picked up a Momentary switch from Maplin(Our version of Radio Shack, incase you don't know). I'll swap out the switch when I get time. At least for the time being, the latching one is doing its job.

D'oh! Sorry about the assumption that you were in the USA. Is "Tandy" still active in the UK? If you could post the part #/link for other UK folks who want to pick one up.
Thanks
-G

D'oh! Sorry about the assumption that you were in the USA. Is "Tandy" still active in the UK? If you could post the part #/link for other UK folks who want to pick one up.
Thanks
-G

That's OK. I think what used to be "Tandy" is now "Maplin", but you'll see a lot of stuff in there marked up as "Radio Shack". It's basically the same store.

Anyway here's the link. Momentary Footswitch

Back
Top Bottom