External pedals FM9

• Thread starter TheElaborateDream
  • Start date
T

TheElaborateDream

Hi there, I plan on using a couple of external time base effects and a couple of overdrives with the FM9. I just want to make sure I am doing this correctly and maybe see if you all had some tips as well or things I should be looking out for.

My setup is the FM9, power amp and cab.

I am currently setting up my time based effects DD3 and RV6 in output 3 and I would like these placed after the amp itself. I have output three cranked all the way if I understood the manual properly. Does this look correct as well as the settings? I am getting sound, but I just want to make sure I didn't miss anything that may be important.

What I would also like to do is add my TS9 and another drive pedal in front of my amp. I am not sure if it is okay using output 2 for this since it's not setup for unity gain?

Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 5.32.54 PM.png

You have your loops in parallel. Maybe you want that for Delay and Reverb, maybe not.

You almost certainly don't want it for Drive pedals.

On a completely unrelated note, your forum user name pokes a bit of OCD in me as I want to read it as "The Elaborate Dream".. but you've got an extra "T" in there (Elabortate).

You have your loops in parallel. Maybe you want that for Delay and Reverb, maybe not.

You almost certainly don't want it for Drive pedals.

On a completely unrelated note, your forum user name pokes a bit of OCD in me as I want to read it as "The Elaborate Dream".. but you've got an extra "T" in there (Elabortate).
Thanks, yeah it was a mod mistake, but didn't bug me enough to want to ask them to fix it.

In fact, the loops are in parallel with shunts. THat means you'll always have dry signal in your path, even when you've your pedals are kicked in.
Thank you. I will move them from parallel. Other than that, that's all I need?

Thank you. I will move them from parallel. Other than that, that's all I need?
Looking closer at your I/O settings, I'm not sure whether using +4 on Output 2 is good here or not. I mean you can adjust the Output block Level and the front panel knob, but I'm thinking the Drive pedals probably aren't expecting that level of input.

Also not sure about the Sum L/R on the outputs - I haven't used external loops, but since your inputs are Left only I'd be likely to match those.

Looking closer at your I/O settings, I'm not sure whether using +4 on Output 2 is good here or not. I mean you can adjust the Output block Level and the front panel knob, but I'm thinking the Drive pedals probably aren't expecting that level of input.

Also not sure about the Sum L/R on the outputs - I haven't used external loops, but since your inputs are Left only I'd be likely to match those.
Much appreciated. I think you are right about he +4. I will experiment with this when I get my other pedalboard.
I will have to do some digging the Sum L/R. The external outboard section in the manual is a little confusing to me right now.

Similar to the OP question, I’m wanting to incorporate an external drive pedal for a particular scene using OUT 3 / IN 3 that are currently placed in series. However, when I bypass these blocks for other scenes (where I don’t want overdrive) I have no signal.

Not sure what I’m doing wrong here?

Just bypass the In 3 block and leave the Out 3 block engaged when you want to bypass the loop.

Or you can place Out 3 & In 3 in the same column with the previous block connected to both, and only In 3 connected to the next block. (This allows additionally bypassing Out 3 for a thru-style loop bypass, but that generally shouldn't be too important when there's no delay/reverb in the loop. You can still save a column this way and bypass In 3 though.)

Here's an example with loop 3 in which i have the ADG1SE delay.
I have per preset control switch attached to In3 Volume and VolPan1 level so I can change the delay mix with 2 values for each scene.
Another switch turns off Out3 when needed. VolPan 2 is usually off/mute.

Attachments

• fm9loop3a.png
    fm9loop3a.png
    325 KB · Views: 36
I was wondering as an alternative to this setup, would it be possible to run my drive pedal in front of the FM9 instead and incorporate something like this to control bypassing for scene switching?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/one_control_true_bypass_looper.htm

I may be hearing things, but the pedal just seems to sound better in front
That loop switcher doesn't have external control of any kind so it won't switch automatically with scene changes.

Ideally you'd want a midi controlled loop switcher for that. Alternatively you could use something like a Suhr micro midi control and a loop switcher with a TRS control (something similar to the JHS Switchback)

Back
Top Bottom