External pedal question

addedc

Experienced
I imagine this has been answered before but I could not find the solution in the manual or in a forum search.

I am trying to use a latching boss FS-5L to switch on a null filter boost and a non latching FS-5U for tap tempo.
I have the filter connected to pedal 3 and the tap tempo connected to pedal 4. On the I/O tap, I have tempo tempo set to PEDAL 4 and FILTER 1 bypass set to PEDAL 3. (I didn't set the following as they are default, but External 1 to 4 are Pedal 1 to 4, respectively).

On the Pedal page I have 3 set to Latching and calibrated it (which worked) and 4 set to Momentary (calibration also worked). I am using TS cables.

The external pedals are not working. Am I missing something? And does anyone know if the tempo light on the AX8 still works if you use an external control? Thanks in advance for any help.

If you are using global assignments in the I/O: CONTROLLERS page, like TEMPO TAP set directly to PEDAL 4, you'll want to set EXT CTRL 3 and EXT CTRL 4 to NONE, rather than the default PEDAL 3 and PEDAL 4. Assigning a pedal to one of the External Controllers blocks it from working with direct global assignment to other options. The 12 External Controllers are used within presets as modifier sources.

Also. You won't have a tempo light if none of your F switches are assigned to tap tempo. The light is assigned by assigning an F switch to tap tempo.

Also also. The manual indicates that you don't want to use a momentary switch for tap because any value sent counts as a tap. With a momentary switch, each tap of your foot sends an ON and then an OFF signal, so you'll end up with double time.

If you are using global assignments in the I/O: CONTROLLERS page, like TEMPO TAP set directly to PEDAL 4, you'll want to set EXT CTRL 3 and EXT CTRL 4 to NONE, rather than the default PEDAL 3 and PEDAL 4. Assigning a pedal to one of the External Controllers blocks it from working with direct global assignment to other options. The 12 External Controllers are used within presets as modifier sources.

Also. You won't have a tempo light if none of your F switches are assigned to tap tempo. The light is assigned by assigning an F switch to tap tempo.

Also also. The manual indicates that you don't want to use a momentary switch for tap because any value sent counts as a tap. With a momentary switch, each tap of your foot sends an ON and then an OFF signal, so you'll end up with double time.

Thanks very much, Philip. That NONE is a bit elusive in the menu but I found it. Mahalo from Hawaii!

Thanks very much, Philip. That NONE is a bit elusive in the menu but I found it. Mahalo from Hawaii!

Sorry, but another question arises. I decided to use the momentary switch to control some delay parameters instead of Tap Tempo. I think it's going to work well, but it is acting like a latching switch instead of momentary. I have it configured as MOMENTARY in the pedal control screen and calibrated. Does anyone if there is some other menu option I need to change? Pedal is a BOSS FS-5U, unlatching.

Sorry, but another question arises. I decided to use the momentary switch to control some delay parameters instead of Tap Tempo. I think it's going to work well, but it is acting like a latching switch instead of momentary. I have it configured as MOMENTARY in the pedal control screen and calibrated. Does anyone if there is some other menu option I need to change? Pedal is a BOSS FS-5U, unlatching.

Try the CONTINUOUS type if you have a momentary switch that you want to act as a momentary switch. Those pedal options require voodoo and a degree of crazy. :)

Thanks. It sort of works as a Momentary switch after I set it to Latching and back. But it's backwards. The effect goes on until I step on it. I think I will just try using one of the IA switches on the 8.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks. It sort of works as a Momentary switch after I set it to Latching and back. But it's backwards. The effect goes on until I step on it. I think I will just try using one of the IA switches on the 8.

Appreciate your help.

If you're just assigning modifiers to delay parameters this isn't really an issue, since the min & max values can be adjusted. Trying to assign the pedal directly to a block's I/O menu bypass is a different story, but the workaround would be setting as an Ext Ctrl then using a bypass modifier within the preset/block.

Back
Top Bottom