External noise gate

Playing close to the Axe is not a problem. But playing close to a computer/laptop is.

I have an 8 space wood rack with 2 SLA amps, an EQ, The Axe and a power conditioner. The laptop sits on top of the rack. I experience no noise until I am standing by the rack to edit something on the laptop or the Axe and that is when the noise becomes pretty loud. I even have 4 compact florescent bulbs in the room and a dimmer on the other side of the wall 5 feet away.

If I move 3 steps back the noise goes away. I have even turned off the gate on some patches. I have a PRS P24 and no issues.

Last night I tested with only the Axe plugged in. Nothing else. Straight into the Axe with multiple cables/multiple guitars. Front panel headphone out.

Noise :(

silly question after all that testing, i know... but have you tried turning away from the axe while you play? maybe the little lcd or something else is feeding noise to your pickups?

i have never experienced this issue and with all those different guitars i have to suspect it's something with that particular axe unit...

a recording of any type of the noise would be helpful for us.

Turn it up, walk around, turn in different directions, etc. and note any changes in the noise. Use the wireless if you can.

Move away further? I.have to sit at least 5 ft from my laptop to get noisefree.

I'm wondering if the perceived noise floor in the axe is just lots higher than with amps, not in the least because of the way amps are usually aimed at knees and not ears and also the ability the axe has to put the signal under a microscope. You can hear it better so it bugs you more. Especially on headphones, that's the microscope for that.

It's pretty simple. There's guitar signal (S) and there's noise (N). Noise is always there, its just usually not noticeable because the signal is so strong it hides the N. Now when S dies out, there's a point where S level gets so low that N level is noticeable. A gate turns the volume down by a percentage (rate) when the S gets below a certain level (threshold). That level needs to be set at that point where the N gets too noticeable relative to S. There is no way to identify the noise from the signal, so therefor they can't be separated and consequently separately turned down. A gate can not do anything but just turn all of it down. The analog counterparts can not do it better than the axe's gate, because they don't have a way of separating the N from the S either. It's just not so noticeable.

What you CAN influence is the amount of noise introduced to the variable elements in the chain. From pickups, shielding, cables, power supplies, surroundings, etc. but once it's in there, there's not much you can do to get it back out.

I heard the Aristocrats two months ago, you wouldn't believe the noise. Still one of the most impressive gigs I ever attended.

Personally I don't have any problem with the gate, I can sustain notes pretty long, but there is some noise coming in right before the note dies completely and the gate shuts everything down. And total silence after that. Some ampsims seem to induce more noise per gain or be more sensitive to noise as well. But that's after the gate and I haven't tried listening for it since I found the rate was set pretty low as default.

I run a decimator in front of my Axe-II as well. I live in a noisy environment, and manually setting the threshold on every patch sucks. I posted a Wish List thread asking for a global one, but nothing came of it.

Agreed- many factors all mentioned are valid and stuff I deal with exacerbating the noise. As sooo grateful to Cliff and crew for all the FW updates,. but it would be awesome to have a decimator type gate to make all the issues brought up in this thread moot. MG Chris I tried the decimator into the front And in the loop. The front still had noise and the loop did not work at all

Last edited:
One more thing to check is the input level. Are you tickling the red when you strum hard? That improves the signal to noise ratio. Worth a shot. It is a trial and error at this point. Try lowering the gain a bit or turn off the drive block if you are using one. The more gain you have the more you will also amplify the noise. You'll need to find a happy medium for you.

hussamd - Very good point not something i have ever thought of,.. Remind me again how to check the input level----please!
Dutch very good explanation!

The Gate/Expander block has the necessary parameters to perform like the ISP. Use its Sidechain Select parameter.
Thanks for chiming in Yek! Can you expand on this? Prior threads regarding this it was suggested to adjust the ratio and I have along with the threshold as the go to knobs but to get all the noise out they have to come close to half way up and that causes notes to die off very quickly.

Last edited:
Dutch very good explanation!
Yeah, but it only works for ordinary noise. The op in the feedback thread is having stronger interference. Of course noise is always interference, but that is... More. That much is not fixable by a noise gate. Some good advice in that thread. Check input level, cables, lighting, dimmers, ac power. Are you living underneath power lines, near cell towers, street lights, idk...

And maybe your axe is broken. But that's harder to check.

The Gate/Expander block has the necessary parameters to perform like the ISP. Use its Sidechain Select parameter.

As I mentioned in my reply, it becomes a bit more fidly applying the knowledge we have... i.e. what means "Sidechain Select Parameter" and what would utilizing it (and instruction on how) accomplish?

Do you use a power conditioner? Do you have a dimmer or florescent lights? If you use a UPS with your computer try plugging the Axe in it. If you have a ground lift button on your amp try that.

The Axe is very quiet even on high gain patches. I only get a buzz when I get close to it to edit from the front panel then it goes away as I get farther. If you are hearing the buzzing with no guitar attached then it may be a grounding issue in your outlets. How about clean patches?

lololol.... you poor bastards needing power conditioners... I know I'll need one if I tour overseas, but power in Australia is clean and reliable as all hell, even in dingy shitty little venues. Tested and proven with many people using them and then not using them....

Thanks for chiming in Yek! Can you expand on this? Prior threads regarding this it was suggested to adjust the ratio and I have along with the threshold as the go to knobs but to get all the noise out they have to come close to half way up and that causes notes to die off very quickly.

^This^ Glad you are chiming in (as you seem to be the great mystical sage on using these units apart from the creators), but a little more info would help.

It's in the wiki:
Gate/Expander (block) - Axe-Fx II Wiki

There's no way around it. For some tasks you have to invest some time into getting acquainted with the parameters. I hardly know them all. Guys like Javajunkie, Simeon, Bakerman are the real knowledge gurus here.
The Axe-Fx is a pro device. Just like a G-Force, Eventide etc. And that comes with deep editing possibilities and challenges. It's not Sony's My First Modeler. Some ask: Why this difficult? While others keep asking for more parameters and possibilities ... just check the Wishes subforum. Hard to satisfy everyone, for Fractal. ;)

Onto the ISP and gate block.

The problem with lots of 19" gates (G-Major, Rocktron Hush etc.) is that they are placed after the preamp. This way they can silence the entire signal, but it makes them less able to detect the incoming signal correctly, because of the difference between clean and distorted input signals. This is why it's often necessary to use different gate settings for clean presets and dirty presets in those devices.
There are other noise gates which you can put between guitar and amp. While these detect the guitar signal better, they are less capable of getting rid of noise originating later in the chain.

I owned a G-Rack Pro. The great things about it (except for the ground loops), are its internal "vector something" technology, also present in the G-String pedal, and its clever use of signal detection. It comes first in the chain, letting it detect the guitar signal properly, not bothered by preamp gain. But it applies its gating after the amp stage, therefore eliminating all noise.

You can accomplish the same by using the Sidechain Select parameter. You need to use to the Gate block for this. Can't be done with the regular preset gate (Layout menu).

Place the Gate block in the grid. Try right before or right after the Amp block. Now set its Sidechain parameter (SCSEL) to Input. Now the Gate block will use the "global" signal at the start of the grid for best results, while muting all noise amplified through blocks in the chain.

The Low Cut/High Cut parameters probably perform the same task as the Filter control on the G-Rack Pro. But you probably don't need to adjust those.

Attack, Release and Hold are okay at default.

If the Gate block behaves anything like the preset Gate in the Layout menu, set Ratio to around 2.30.

Now adjust Threshold to where the gating is applied to your liking.

P.S. If you are going to use the Gate/Exp block, you might as well disable the preset Gate (Turn Threshold until it says Off). Saves a couple of CPU %.

Last edited:
Thanks Yek,

I get that it's pro gear and that you do need to invest time into these things, just gets a little frustrating when youre taking your first steps into this kind of stuff...

Now if only I can get scenes AND looper support to work natively together on the MFC

Back
Top Bottom