Expression pedals

rickster71

Experienced
Whats the difference between mission and fractal expression pedals? I see a lot of people using mission than fractal and is there different expression pedals for different things? Im still learning

Different sweep/feel to the pedal movement.

The Mission pedals have a shorter sweep. If you've used a Crybaby/Dunlop wah it's exactly the same chassis.

but as for the pedals there more less all the same right because you program it with the patch what to do right?
Yes, it's the same inside. Just the sweep is different.

The EV pedals have a longer 'throw' like a typical volume pedal, and are therefore a fair bit easier to set to a middle-ish value.

The Mission one is great for wah or things you'd sweep mostly from one extreme to the other, as the pot turns quickly between 0 and 100%....

20200530_113017.jpg

EDIT: Updated pic. Finally got around to filling in the logo and lettering on pedal #4....

Last edited:
I think its because there was a shortage of Fractal Expression Pedals in the color of black.... possibly a shortage of both colors available... but definitely they had no black pedals during a time when the 3 came out.

makes more sense to be using a Fractal EV-1...right...thats why its oddly curious to you

You see a lot of Mission pedals as they were one of the first marketed to Fractal users, among others, early on. It was years later the EV series came out. I'm considering picking one up for the layout of the jacks.

You see a lot of Mission pedals as they were one of the first marketed to Fractal users, among others, early on. It was years later the EV series came out. I'm considering picking one up for the layout of the jacks.

That's what I assumed but couldn't find a concrete release date on the EVs to confirm. But anyone who owned earlier Fractal gear and bought pedals before the EV came out, they'd still own them. No reason to replace them if you're happy with the Mission pedals you already own.

Yes, it's the same inside. Just the sweep is different.

INCORRECT…
...Not the same inside.

From Fractals home sight:

The EV-1 is an EXPRESSION PEDAL, perfect for use with all Fractal Audio Systems products and many 3rd party devices.

Unlike most expression pedals it has a true linear response with 'Planetary Gearing' and a long, smooth pedal throw.

The EV-1 doubles as an analog volume pedal, with separate IN and OUT jacks connected to an audio-taper pot..........

INCORRECT…
...Not the same inside.

From Fractals home sight:

The EV-1 is an EXPRESSION PEDAL, perfect for use with all Fractal Audio Systems products and many 3rd party devices.

Unlike most expression pedals it has a true linear response with 'Planetary Gearing' and a long, smooth pedal throw.

The EV-1 doubles as an analog volume pedal, with separate IN and OUT jacks connected to an audio-taper pot..........
Pretty much what I was alluding to in my post. Electrically identical inside, but with a longer 'throw'....

Unlike most expression pedals... The Planetary Gearing in the EV 1 is a big performance difference and more reliable compared to the other gearing method/design... Much smoother! Just sayin'

Unlike most expression pedals... The Planetary Gearing in the EV 1 is a big performance difference and more reliable compared to the other gearing method/design... Much smoother! Just sayin'
True, and covered in the commentary about longer throw and easier to hit a middle setting.... :)

Back
Top Bottom