Expression Pedals will not reach 10 at toe down position

Hi,
I just got a Dunlop Volume X pedal and when I use it on Expression mode, even After Reading and trying what it was said on thé forum, I can't reach 100%..
I've pressed Enter, try it multiple times and nothing helped.
I use an FM3

Did you have any tips ? It's pretty annoying..
I have the Dunlop Volume X as well and got it to calibrate by stopping just short of completely toe down. If the completely toe down value is 9.3, I stop around 9.0. Works every time for any pedal I've calibrated with FAS devices.

I have the Dunlop Volume X as well and got it to calibrate by stopping just short of completely toe down. If the completely toe down value is 9.3, I stop around 9.0. Works every time for any pedal I've calibrated with FAS devices.
But how do you do this ?
I plugged the pedal and the value is automaticly in, If I stop it anywhere, it doesn't change anything

But how do you do this ?
I plugged the pedal and the value is automaticly in, If I stop it anywhere, it doesn't change anything
Once you've moved the pedal to the ends of its sweep, you can't change either value without exiting calibration.

It requires a Two step process:

1. Enter the calibration mode, press the pedal completely toe down and write down the value (i.e. 9.3) then exit the calibration mode.
2. Place the pedal at the halfway point of the pedal's throw/motion then enter the calibration mode. Rock the pedal back to the completely heel down position, then slowly move to the toe down position, stopping just short of the value in step 1. Press Enter to save calibration.

This has worked without fail with any expression pedal or volume pedal (used as an expression pedal) on any FAS device.

This shouldn't be required at all. The whole point of calibration is the map the actual sweep of the physical pedal's response to a 0-100% range.

Lots of people seem to ignore pressing ENTER after going thru the steps and that causes the calibration to not be saved correctly.

I've just try again ans curiously, thé calibration won't go at 100% but when I've try some whammy or wah, everything is okay.

And I still Ask myself why I want a wah, it never suit my kind of guitar playing 😅.

Thanks everyone !

The calibration graph does not have to go all the way to the ends. That's the point. It takes whatever the min and max readings the pedal gives and then sets those as the new 0% and 100% points respectively. You could calibrate the pedal with just a tiny movement in the middle of its sweep if you wanted and that range will still give you the full 0% to 100% sweep in a modifier.

Check the graph in a modifier window. The dot should go all the way from one side of the graph to the other when you sweep the pedal through its full range. All the way to the left is heel down and all the way to the right is toe down.

Last edited:
I've just try again ans curiously, thé calibration won't go at 100% but when I've try some whammy or wah, everything is okay.

And I still Ask myself why I want a wah, it never suit my kind of guitar playing 😅.

Thanks everyone !
None of the expression pedals I've used go all the way to 100% during calibration. As @mr_fender said, the FM3 takes the sweep of the pedal during calibration and converts its range to 0-100% in the unit.

What does that mean? I think maybe you don't understand what calibration is doing?
I understand calibration, my experience with other brands of expression pedals never quite made the full 0-10 on the calibration markers. It was always a little short. But I see now from the posts that you can get it to work, it just takes extra steps.

The range of movement you see during calibration is not really important. All properly working compatible pedals will calibrate just fine and give you the full 0% to 100% range in a modifier. You can test it for yourself by moving the pedal only half way during calibration. That half of travel will still give you full modifier range after calibration.

This shouldn't be required at all. The whole point of calibration is the map the actual sweep of the physical pedal's response to a 0-100% range.

Lots of people seem to ignore pressing ENTER after going thru the steps and that causes the calibration to not be saved correctly.
You're right, it shouldn't be required. Hasn't been my experience though which is why I've adopted this method which, as I mentioned, has worked every single time. I'm not going to chase my tail trying to make it work the way it's supposed to when I can use a method to get a pedal calibrated successfully the first time.

If I wasn't pressing ENTER, using my method wouldn't work either.

I understand calibration, my experience with other brands of expression pedals never quite made the full 0-10 on the calibration markers. It was always a little short. But I see now from the posts that you can get it to work, it just takes extra steps.
It still sounds like you don't fully understand...

The expectation of needing to get all the way to 10 on the calibration bar is wrong.

If you get from 0-10, the calibration will "scale" that from 0-100%.

If you get from 0-9.5, the calibration will "scale" that from 0-100%.

If you get from 0-8.7, the calibration will "scale" that from 0-100%.

The point of calibration is to measure the actual full range of the pedal and then compensate based on that.

It still sounds like you don't fully understand...

The expectation of needing to get all the way to 10 on the calibration bar is wrong.

If you get from 0-10, the calibration will "scale" that from 0-100%.

If you get from 0-9.5, the calibration will "scale" that from 0-100%.

If you get from 0-8.7, the calibration will "scale" that from 0-100%.

The point of calibration is to measure the actual full range of the pedal and then compensate based on that.

Exactly. And just to add that these deviations that need compensation do not happen because some expression pedals are better than others, or because they are less "compatible with the Axe-FX" than others. It happens because there is no standard value for the potentiometer that the manufactures can use at their pedals. Hence the need for calibration.

As explained at the user manual, the Axe-FX can take any linear resistance taper from 10-100 kOhm (after you press enter, of course :D ).

season 2 s02 GIF by DREAM CORP LLC

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom