Expression pedal won’t reach 10 value

As I read this I wonder if it has anything to do with the tolerance of the potentiometer used in each pedal. Could a +/- 10% pot inaccuracy (and/or dirty jack and/or dodgy cable and/or… what have you) add up to the anomaly you’re experiencing?

Reactions: D20
I have the same issue. Never quite gets to 100%. I'm not using it as a whammy or anything that I'd need the extra 0.04 units, but it has puzzled me for a while. I'm using an FC-6, with the expression pedal plugged directly into the FC-6. I recently changed the vol pedal to be a global vol pedal so I don't see it or experience it like I did before.

Oh also using Moog EP-3 pedal(s). They're real inexpensive $49... but very usable.

I traded my FC6 here with another Fractal user on the forums for an FC12. I'm using a Boss FV500H for all of my expression pedals.
Can firmware upgrades do this? I don't remember having this issue when I first got my Axe Fx 3.

As I read this I wonder if it has anything to do with the tolerance of the potentiometer used in each pedal. Could a +/- 10% pot inaccuracy (and/or dirty jack and/or dodgy cable and/or… what have you) add up to the anomaly you’re experiencing?
As I understand it, the entire point of running calibration is to take that stuff out of the equation.

Try recalibrating starting with the pedal at heel down, but only push the pedal about 3/4 of the way toe down. Does the value still stop shy of 10 afterwards?

As always, verify you are calibrating in the correct menu as well. Pedals to the FC pedal ports, use the FC Controllers menu to calibrate. Pedals to the Axe III's rear panel, use the I/O menu to calibrate.

Had the same problem with my Boss FV500 and Axe 3, but no issues with the EV1 or EV2. Still a mystery to me why calibration wouldn’t adapt to the Boss.

Just a shot in the dark, but Fractal says to use a pedal pot between 10k and 100k ohms. Most 3rd party expression pedals use 10k pots. If your 10k pot is a bit out of spec and is actually only say 8.5k or 9k, then perhaps that's just a bit too low to calibrate reliably. The EV pedals use 100k pots I believe, so even if they end up a bit below 100k, they are still within the recommended pedal range. The pots I used in my converted VP Jr pedals are both 20k pots and they calibrate perfectly.

If you've got a multimeter, you can measure the resistance between the ring and sleeve contacts to see the pot's actual value. You can also measure between the tip and sleeve as you very slowly sweep the pedal and see if it smoothly moves between zero ohms (or at least close to it) and the value of the pot (or close to it).

Last edited:
I have 4 actively connected Mission EP1s but none of them currently serve a function requiring them to reach absolute value of 10.

I am going to check them all later to see if they get there.

Those are 10k pots.

Following up on my previous post: all 4 of my pedals have the exact same issue. They reach exactly 9.92 at toe down.

I have a vague memory that there was an FC firmware update related to this... But I don't recall for sure.

I forgot to check which version I'm but I know it isn't the latest.

Reactions: D20
Back
Top Bottom