Expression Pedal to back of AxeFX or GCP?

JamCam

These are probably common questions, but I didn't find definate answers in the manual:

1) If I'm hooking up my Ernie Ball Jr (as an expression pedal), which is most advantageous for me to do: plug it into the back of the AxeFX or into the expression input at the back of the Ground Control Pro?
2) Furthermore, I need to get a stereo "Y" 1/4" cable (stereo on one plug, and mono on the other two) for that, don't I?
3) Finally, can you use a Boss FS-5U switch for tap-tempo? Woudl this go intot he AxeFX or back of the GPC? And, would it be taking up one of my 8 IA switches?

Thx guys... take it easy on me; I'm a newb ;)

1. Plugging into the GCP saves a long cable to the axe-fx.

2. Yes

3. Yes, it works great. Either the GCP or the Axe-fx.

I plugged both the Boss FU-5S (tap tempo switch) and Ernie Ball Jr into the Pedal inputs of the GPC and made sure they were "on" as far as the GCP goes.
I then went to the CTRL tab (in the I/O menu) and tried to get the AxeFX to learn them, but it's not recognizing them.
I'm sure there's just something I'm missing. Can you help me out?

JamCam said:
I plugged both the Boss FU-5S (tap tempo switch) and Ernie Ball Jr into the Pedal inputs of the GPC and made sure they were "on" as far as the GCP goes.
I then went to the CTRL tab (in the I/O menu) and tried to get the AxeFX to learn them, but it's not recognizing them.
I'm sure there's just something I'm missing. Can you help me out?

Have you assigned the a CC in the GCP?

This is gonna sound dumb, but how do I do that?
I'm new to the whole thing still...

I've tried following the GCP manual, but I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking to do. I don't know what/where to assign the pedals.

In my attempt to have the GCOP calibrate the Exp pedal and tap tempo, I messed something else up.
The AxeFX automatically goes pacth #256 instead of 000. Bleh...

JamCam said:
In my attempt to have the GCOP calibrate the Exp pedal and tap tempo, I messed something else up.

Sounds like you send it a bank change message accidentally. You can fix that with MIDIox.Hook your computer midi out to the axe-fx midi in. Open MIDI ox, go to the 9th icon over (send MIDI CC message), select 0) Bank MSB frim the controller event dropdown, select your channel you are using for the axe-fx and a value of 0. That should reset it to the right bank. I can give you more detailed instructions when I get home.

Here is some info about what the bank select is/does:
http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index. ... ank_Select

It seems that I put the CC# back to 0 and my presets start at 000-003 again; I'm really sure how I did it, but it seems alright now.

Now, I'm back to square one with being able to use the Tap Tempo and Expression Pedals. I still not sure how to calibrate them for use with the AxeFX.

I believe in the GC pro you set the the pedal CCs in each preset. Follow page 19 in the manual.

javajunkie said:
JamCam said:

Sounds like you send it a bank change message accidentally. You can fix that with MIDIox.Hook your computer midi out to the axe-fx midi in. Open MIDI ox, go to the 9th icon over (send MIDI CC message), select 0) Bank MSB frim the controller event dropdown, select your channel you are using for the axe-fx and a value of 0. That should reset it to the right bank. I can give you more detailed instructions when I get home.

unfortuneately, I'm running a Mac, so I can't d/l that program.

JamCam said:
javajunkie said:
JamCam said:

unfortuneately, I'm running a Mac, so I can't d/l that program.

looks like you got it worked out anyway.

javajunkie said:
Did you get it up and running?

yes and no.
I got the FS-5U working as a tap-tempo... but only by placing it in the PEDAL 1 INPUT in the back of the Axe. The EBJr didn't seem to work in the back of the Axe, though.

I think I'm just gonna start from scratch. Before I do, here's a question:
does PEDAL 1/2 INPUTS on the GCP override the PEDAL 1/2 INPUTS on the Axe? Like if I assign a modifier/effect to PEDAL 1 (expression pedal), does that mean it's going to PEDAL 1 INPUT on the Axe? If not, what option do I use to have PEDAL INPUT 1 on the GCP recognize the modifier/effect?

JamCam said:
here's a question:
does PEDAL 1/2 INPUTS on the GCP override the PEDAL 1/2 INPUTS on the Axe? Like if I assign a modifier/effect to PEDAL 1 (expression pedal), does that mean it's going to PEDAL 1 INPUT on the Axe? If not, what option do I use to have PEDAL INPUT 1 on the GCP recognize the modifier/effect?
No. The PEDAL1 and PEDAL2 inputs (on the Axe-Fx's rear panel) are separate controller sources from any MIDI-attached controllers (expression pedals). If you have four expression pedals, you can have all four pedals active at one time (two in the back of the Axe-Fx, and two plugged into the GCP).

When you assign a modifer to PEDAL1, you're targeting the PEDAL1 jack on the back of the Axe-Fx. To use the pedal inputs on the GCP, you'll need to program the GCP to map a pedal input to a MIDI continuous-controller (CC) number (1-128). Then, you'll need to program the Axe-FX to map that CC number to one of eight possible EXTERNAL controllers. You can then assign EXTERNALx to a modifier of your choice.

xrist04 said:
JamCam said:
here's a question:
When you assign a modifer to PEDAL1, you're targeting the PEDAL1 jack on the back of the Axe-Fx. To use the pedal inputs on the GCP, you'll need to program the GCP to map a pedal input to a MIDI continuous-controller (CC) number (1-128). Then, you'll need to program the Axe-FX to map that CC number to one of eight possible EXTERNAL controllers. You can then assign EXTERNALx to a modifier of your choice.

That's probably the answer I've needed all along! Thx.
Now, I've gotta figure out how to do all that without screwing anything else up! heh...

xrist04 said:
To use the pedal inputs on the GCP, you'll need to program the GCP to map a pedal input to a MIDI continuous-controller (CC) number (1-128). Then, you'll need to program the Axe-FX to map that CC number to one of eight possible EXTERNAL controllers. You can then assign EXTERNALx to a modifier of your choice.

I guess I'm halfway there. I got the GCP to read the EBJr in the GCP (Pedal 1 in the GCP).
In the "I/O" menu, I have "External 1" reading CC# 9 (where GCP Pedal 1 was assigned). Now, I put a modifier on my Crystal Delays using External 1 for it's master volume. I got that working ok, but now I can't seem to use the Expression pedal on any other effect on any other patch. What am I missing?

JamCam said:
xrist04 said:
To use the pedal inputs on the GCP, you'll need to program the GCP to map a pedal input to a MIDI continuous-controller (CC) number (1-128). Then, you'll need to program the Axe-FX to map that CC number to one of eight possible EXTERNAL controllers. You can then assign EXTERNALx to a modifier of your choice.

I guess I'm halfway there. I got the GCP to read the EBJr in the GCP (Pedal 1 in the GCP).
In the "I/O" menu, I have "External 1" reading CC# 9 (where GCP Pedal 1 was assigned). Now, I put a modifier on my Crystal Delays using External 1 for it's master volume. I got that working ok, but now I can't seem to use the Expression pedal on any other effect on any other patch. What am I missing?

I think you may have assigned it to the master volume globally. To assign it to an effect, you go to the effects blocks, go to a parameter with a [] underneath it, it enter, assing the source to external 1.

javajunkie said:
I think you may have assigned it to the master volume globally. To assign it to an effect, you go to the effects blocks, go to a parameter with a [] underneath it, it enter, assing the source to external 1.

No, actually, I did assign it to the master volume of just the effect in its block.

How is it that I can still use the expression pedal for another effect on another patch?

JamCam said:
javajunkie said:

No, actually, I did assign it to the master volume of just the effect in its block.

How is it that I can still use the expression pedal for another effect on another patch?

I'm not following then. What can you not do? You do the exact same thing you did with the delay or pitch(whatever you used for the crystal effect - there are a couple of ways). How did you assign it?

Back
Top Bottom