Expression Pedal Caib. Feedback to user?

PhillAnselmo

Inspired
Hi,

Do you get any visual feedback of the min max values when you calibrate your expression pedal, connected to the axe ii directly? When I use the mfc I can see then altered min max values, but with the axe nothing happens. The screen displays a message that I should move the pedal, but afterwards the calibration page looks the same as before calibration. The pedal is working, but that there is no feedback confuses me.

Cheers
PhillAnselmo

Edit: the headline should be .... Calibration .... Not caib :)

I haven't tried this yet. I guess if it is working fine there is nothing to worry about.

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

I don't think you need the feedback during calibration. What is important is when you are on the controller page, with the graph. Does toe down go all the way up and heel down go all the way down?

Thx. But it seems that there is something wrong with calibration or I'm doing something wrong. I tested the range by adjusting the poti on the boss and set it to around 50%. That means that i start at a min value around 50%. then I calibrated again and now in the controller page I can't get the full range. So calibration is not working for me.
Could somebody try the same thing?

Cheers
PhillAnselmo

just tried the same thing and i get the same result. when i'm on the controller page with the graph, when i turn that knob on the pedal, my lowest volume changes on the graph.

i'm guessing that the axe (and other gear) knows that volume pedal has a variable minimum value or something. it seems like what you want that is just not how it works.

why do you want the minimum to be 50 on the pedal itself? was it just to test if it was actually calibrating? if you really want your lowest to be 50, change the "MIN" value on the controller page.

if you were just testing if it calibrated, again, just make sure on the controller page with the graph, when you go from bottom to top of the pedal, the dot in the graph moves all the way from low to high.

That is the point of calibrating as I understand it. Not all pedals have the same range. E.g. If the range is from 0 to 127 and your pedal moves the range from 5 to 120. Then to calibrate your pedal should result in getting the range 0-127 on the controller page. The thing with the poti is just to check some extreme values to test whether the calib. Is working. If your pedal is just a bit under the extreme values 0 and 127 you don't see whether you are reaching the extreme values on the controller page. Have you recalibrated the pedal after moving the poti?

I did recalibrate just as you did.

It's true that some pedals are as you described and that's the point of calibrating. But it seems that changing a pot does NOT change the pedal's range for calibration purposes. It seems like it should work, but it isn't how it works.

Probably something to do with capacitance or something. The pot probably doesn't change the capacitance of the output but just sends a different value out, which doesn't affect calibration.

Weird.

Regardless though, my pedal was correctly calibrated for the full range with the pot turned to 50% as I calibrated and then it worked fully when I turned the pot back to full. So it's definitely working correctly.

Last edited:
There's a limit to how far from the absolute minimum/maximum the calibration values can be. So even if you calibrate with the min. vol. knob at 50%, you'll find it needs to be lowered to something like 20% to get the full range of dot movement. If you test again but only bring the dot up to 10-15% w/ the min vol knob before the second calibration I think you'll find it does adapt to that new minimum.

Here's a way to verify the dot reaches minimum/maximum. Assign the external as a bypass modifier with these settings:

Start 0%
Mid 100%
End 0%
Slope 0%
Scale 100%
Offset 99.6%

If it bypasses the block with pedal at min/max the dot range isn't limited.

edit: Realized this is the Axe II section. That info was based on what I found w/ the Ultra. For the II you should be able to do the bypass modifier test with start/mid/end at 49.9/100/49.9, everything else at default.

Last edited:
Just came back from my rehearsal room, so i can't check your (Bakerman) suggestion. But what i have tried is the following: I used the same settings (range min to 50%) and calibrated the pedal with the MFC. And this time when i check the controller page i get the full range from 0-100% even with the poti at 50%. So i expect the same behaviour of the calibration process with the Axe.

makes sense, phillllll, but i guess there is a range that the axe-fx can do on its own, and 50% is just too far. generally speaking, most expression pedals aren't off that far, probably only by 5% in either direction.

i mean, they just added a freakin mono tape delay what do you want?!! haha just kidding.

Back
Top Bottom