Expression pedal behaving weird

Ok I am just programming some patches and after spending hours how to work out MIDI clock sync now the expression pedal is acting up!!!!

I have a preset and within that a scene where the expression pedal controls a few parameters on some of the FX and then now that I go to the original scene where the expression pedal is not controlling anything (and where all the FX that the controller was controlling in the other scene are turned off) the expression pedal decreases volume when the toe is all the way down (just decreases not all the way mutes) and then INCREASES when the heel is down, i.e. exactly the opposite of how a volume pedal should behave. The funny thing is that I never set the pedal to control volume in any of my presets EVER before! Why is it doing this??? I can't see any modifiers attached to it either!!!

Axe FX is a II Mark II

Expression pedal is the Mission Engineering one everyone has

And the firmware was updated last night.

are you using an MFC or is the pedal directly to the axe? if mfc, what XP port? what CC# does that XP port control in the MIDI settings of the MFC?

Ok I am just programming some patches and after spending hours how to work out MIDI clock sync now the expression pedal is acting up!!!!

I have a preset and within that a scene where the expression pedal controls a few parameters on some of the FX and then now that I go to the original scene where the expression pedal is not controlling anything (and where all the FX that the controller was controlling in the other scene are turned off) the expression pedal decreases volume when the toe is all the way down (just decreases not all the way mutes) and then INCREASES when the heel is down, i.e. exactly the opposite of how a volume pedal should behave. The funny thing is that I never set the pedal to control volume in any of my presets EVER before! Why is it doing this??? I can't see any modifiers attached to it either!!!

Axe FX is a II Mark II

Expression pedal is the Mission Engineering one everyone has

And the firmware was updated last night.

It is a lot easier to diagnose if you post the preset. What it the pedal plugged into?

Ok I just realised that it is due to the fact that on the scene that I was controlling parameters, the expression pedal was controlling one of the delay mix levels and the delay was set to "MUTE FX IN", which is what I need it to be set to if I want delay tails to ring out, however when the delay is in bypass mode modifying the MIX level still reduces the level of the dry signal! This is really silly, can't there be a better way of incorporating delay tails ringing out over scene changes that doesn't require you to lose dry signal volume?

This also means that whenever you change to a scene where the delay that is set to "MUTE FX IN" turns off, you are losing a percentage of your dry signal volume depending on where you leave the delay MIX level. Is this correct? If it is its really stooopid!!!

instead of controlling the Mix level with your expression pedal, control the Input Gain parameter. leave the mix set.

But that wouldn't be the same thing, it wouldn't replace the dry signal with the wet.

Also regardless, if I leave the MIX say on 25% and not even control it with the expression pedal, once I switch to a scene where the delay is turned off and the "MUTE FX IN" bypass mode is selected then the scene is by default 25% quieter.

That's the point, the issue isn't the expression pedal, I just accidentally stumbled across this problem because of the expression pedal.

EDIT: Ok I just did more troubleshooting and it seems that the MIX level of switched off FX affects volume only if the MIX is above 50%, so as long as the MIX level of a bypassed FX is below 50% then there is no problem volume drop. This I can live with, but I am still wondering why this happens at all...

i know you've figured out the problem, but if you do need to set that mix to a point where it changes the preset volume when the block is engaged vs bypassed, you can use the Level parameter in the block to compensate for that. add enough level so they are the same when the block is engaged vs bypassed. again, you can then use the Input Gain (a different parameter) to control the level of delay in real time.

Ah yea sure but I mean that is a pretty convoluted workaround, I didn't really want to have another thing to worry about... but yea anyway it seems that there is no other way around it. cheers.

Ah yea sure but I mean that is a pretty convoluted workaround, I didn't really want to have another thing to worry about... but yea anyway it seems that there is no other way around it. cheers.

no prob. but a ton of people use it that way. it might just seem different at first.

Thanks for that, guess that makes sense and I can always run in parallel which is good to know...

My only other question now is I dont fully understand what input gain does on the delay block. I had one patch that was clipping and I turned the input gain down to about 25% and the clipping went away but I couldn't notice a drop in volume, is that normal?

Input gain controls how much signal is input into the delay block. Less input gain should mean less resulting delay. Not overall volume of the preset.

Back
Top Bottom