Expression knobs - who's using them?

At least for me, I don't see the value in them. I think the perform pages do what they would do just about as quickly/easily. I think having more expression pedals would be worth more if I actually wanted to do something other than a Wah that way.
Yeah, I use the performance pages too, but I had this cool know from Audio Expressions that I wanted to put on my board lol. I had just the perfect space for it. So, now I have an expression pedal mounted to the board, a knob that I use for room reverb mix (0-30%), and a jack on the side of the board for a second expression pedal, if desired. I like options :)

Last edited:
At least for me, I don't see the value in them. I think the perform pages do what they would do just about as quickly/easily. I think having more expression pedals would be worth more if I actually wanted to do something other than a Wah that way.
I use large knobs on them that can be controlled with my feet (which I can’t do with the perform pages and stock knobs). I have full size expression pedals for wah, volume swells, etc - but for things that I just tweak occasionally I don’t need to take up the space of a full expression pedal but still want something I can adjust with my foot while playing.

The Perform page only affects the currently loaded preset.

An external controller like an expression pedal or knob can persist across preset changes.

the output block idea looks better to me. The only thing is that I would have to assign it in every single preset, isn’t ?I tried to make global changes in wah block assigning it to my expression pedal to make exp1 the default settings for all presets but with no success using Fractool. If I could assign one knob to this it would be awesome
Sure. Just map the expression knob to however you want to control volume.

You could use it to control the level knob in the amp block or the output block (but make sure to set the min/max ranges so you don't start clipping the output), or you could put a volume/filter/etc. block near the end of the chain and use the knob to control that.

I've been using an expression knob to control my lead volume for a long time. Every live preset has a filter block with 0-8dB volume boost. I set the knob at home for 0dB and at noon on default (4dB) for band lead volume. In quieter settings I can turn the lead volume down to about 2-3dB and in really loud environments with both keys and another guitar I've been as high as about 5.5-6dB or so. Works really well.

It would be awesome if Fractal at some point added a global control. Like Manual 1-6 but Global 1-6. That way we could set it on a perform page and not needing an external expression knob. But at the moment, an external expression knob is the only thing that works for a global lead volume control.

I’m thinking to get this big boy with 4 buttons instead 2, cause more is more, right ? 😉😆
But maybe it’s an overkill. What could be a good use for 4 extra buttons ? I just can think about bank up/down since my FC12 didn’t arrived yet

https://ottercustomdesign.com/produ...fc12?pr_prod_strat=use_description&pr_rec_id=View attachment 1229447240d9ba3&pr_rec_pid=8215967957257&pr_ref_pid=8078710309129&pr_seq=uniform
I would do:
  • Main Layout bottom left.
  • Preset Select Layout top left.
  • Tap Tempo bottom right.
  • Tuner top right.
  • Lead volume left knob.
  • Master volume right knob.

the output block idea looks better to me. The only thing is that I would have to assign it in every single preset, isn’t ?I tried to make global changes in wah block assigning it to my expression pedal to make exp1 the default settings for all presets but with no success using Fractool. If I could assign one knob to this it would be awesome
Actually you can assign the expression knob to be a global output volume control.

Setup > midi/remote > I/O

Set the corresponding pedal jack to output volume for one or more outputs.

Back
Top Bottom