Exp pedal position on patch change

gdgross

Experienced
So I searched for this and found some topics that touched on it, but not a real solution.

I'm using an all access to control my axe. On some patches I have a second expression pedal set up to control tremolo speed, delay repeats, etc.

When I change patches, the axe "knows" where the expression pedal is at and sets the associated parameter accordingly. I don't want it to do that. I want the preset to have a default setting for the parameter, and ignore the pedal position until I move it.

I thought that the all access was sending the pedal position upon patch change, but I just received a reply from Rocktron, and they said that's not the case; it only sends CC info when you move the pedal. So I think that means that the axe itself must be polling the pedal position or something after it receives a PC.

Does anyone know how to disable that feature? Or is rocktron smoking crack?

gdgross said:
So I searched for this and found some topics that touched on it, but not a real solution.

I'm using an all access to control my axe. On some patches I have a second expression pedal set up to control tremolo speed, delay repeats, etc.

When I change patches, the axe "knows" where the expression pedal is at and sets the associated parameter accordingly. I don't want it to do that. I want the preset to have a default setting for the parameter, and ignore the pedal position until I move it.

I thought that the all access was sending the pedal position upon patch change, but I just received a reply from Rocktron, and they said that's not the case; it only sends CC info when you move the pedal. So I think that means that the axe itself must be polling the pedal position or something after it receives a PC.

Does anyone know how to disable that feature? Or is rocktron smoking crack?

There is no way to disable it from the axe-fx. The axe-fx stores the last known value of the external controller it is assigned.

javajunkie said:
There is no way to disable it from the axe-fx. The axe-fx stores the last known value of the external controller it is assigned.

Bummer.

So are you saying that there is no way for any patch to use a default parameter value if that parameter is attached to a controller? It will always move to whatever the controller is at?

Is there any way to get around this? It would be nice if I didn't have to guess what position my pedal should have to be in to get the speed or number of repeats or whatever I want.

gdgross said:
javajunkie said:

Bummer.

So are you saying that there is no way for any patch to use a default parameter value if that parameter is attached to a controller? It will always move to whatever the controller is at?

Is there any way to get around this? It would be nice if I didn't have to guess what position my pedal should have to be in to get the speed or number of repeats or whatever I want.

Only if your foot controller can send it a default value. There is a wish list item for this.

LAYGO said:
Couldn't you send a CC to the same controller on the Patch change?

You can do that with a FCB1010 (UnO), that's my workaround...
Don't know about the AllAccess.

Yeah, I think you probably can. It's kind of a pain in the neck to program that for every patch on which I use a CC pedal to control an effect, though.

Absolutely! It's also much more work and less transparent to change the default values as CCs in the floorboard instead of being able to set them in the Axe directly.

Is this still an issue as I was going to buy a FV300 to use an an external controller for wah or volume. I'm hoping the pedal will be fine also for it's intended use.

Cheers.

rdomain said:
Is this still an issue as I was going to buy a FV300 to use an an external controller for wah or volume. I'm hoping the pedal will be fine also for it's intended use.

Cheers.

I'm pretty sure it's still the same, haven't tried the latest firmware but there's nothing mentioned in the release notes. Post/vote in this wish list thread if you care to: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=796

gdgross said:
javajunkie said:

Bummer.

You could program your presets such that the effect the controller in question is controlling is in bypass mode?

joegold said:
You could program your presets such that the effect the controller in question is controlling is in bypass mode?

That can be done, but the benefit of a feature like this would be that you could have an effect active with specific settings upon preset recall and still have control with the pedal when you want to alter it. For example, a moderate amount of delay (or any effect) that you can change mix/parameters of later, or something like whammy set at 0 shift that's ready to go when you move the pedal (without the awkward jump in pitch you get moving it forward from 0 with auto-engage).

Bakerman said:
joegold said:

That can be done, but the benefit of a feature like this would be that you could have an effect active with specific settings upon preset recall and still have control with the pedal when you want to alter it. For example, a moderate amount of delay (or any effect) that you can change mix/parameters of later, or something like whammy set at 0 shift that's ready to go when you move the pedal (without the awkward jump in pitch you get moving it forward from 0 with auto-engage).

I think it would be cool to be able to toggle it on or off, even though for now for everything that I do it's the good the way it is.

Try putting it on the wish list forum.

Back
Top Bottom