Closed Exclude FX bypass from Amp and Cab channel change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scenario:
I want to switch an amp & cab channel at the same time, like I would do with an A/B switch in front of two or more real amps.
The change should not affect my stomp box FX states.

Solution 1:
Flag on a block's bypass saying "ignore scene changes".

Solution 2: (Favorite solution 🤘 )
Option to link cab to an amp channel change.

Solution 3:
Assign multiple channel selects to one footswitch.

This setup more or less is similar to Eric Johnson's live setup. See @12:14

Last edited:
Many similar threads already in the Wish section of the Axe-Fx III forum.

Many similar threads already in the Wish section of the Axe-Fx III forum.
Yes, I noted them, but development for Axe-Fx III and FM3 doesn't seem to be aligned (e.g. global blocks). Besides my favorite solution would be number 2. If there is any better option to address wishes that would affect both devices please let me know. I am quite unexperienced in this whishlist and only interested in the FM3 development.

You can do this now with a Control Switch. A Control Switch can't directly change channels, but it can send up to 4 MIDI commands, and Channel switching for AMP 1 and CAB 1 can be assigned MIDI CCs. If you don't have any other MIDI gear, you can loop the MIDI out to the in. If you do have MIDI gear, you need to make sure you've hooked up in and out cables, and enable MIDI thru on the other MIDI gear.

I tested this, it works great. The Control Switch MIDI commands are global, as are the Channel CC assignments, so this works across all presets.

EDIT: Missed an obvious issue. The channels still change with scene changes. As does the CS state. So the MIDI solution only applies if you don't plan on using scenes, or if it's acceptable that scenes will alter your amp/cab channel state as expected.

Last edited:
Thank you for this suggestion and your testing efforts!

It definitely is a good workaround and would do the job.
But still it is a workaround and a potential source for errors.
Since I play in 5 cover bands with 3 different setups (depending on stage size) I would have to set lots of checkmarks in my packing and setup lists.

In this scenario my intent was using scenes for "genre selection" (e.g. "Rock'n'Roll / Country with Slapback", "80ies with Chorus, Compression and timed delay" etc.) and then switching amps (e.g. 80s with AC-30 or JCM800). As solution for clean/distorted sounds I use an expression pedal modifying gain and level at the same time.

But you actually showed a 4th solution: Allowing modifiers on channels would also be great. Then a control switch could do the job internally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom