EVM12l and the GT800 FR

Correct!

We had lots of fun trying the different solutions and IR's. What realy amazed me was the sound of some stock presets with the original IR with mic of. Spot on full warm and a massive sound. At last found the fundaments for a real nice fat juicy sound like all the tube gear out there. Axe-Fx/GT800FX/EVM12L that is it. When you strum the guitar with this setup you REALLY strum your guitar and move a lot of air. The balls in the sound are back. This was what I missed from all fancy and some expensive FRFR I have heard and tested. These FRFR solutions sound good. very good indeed. But it has no BALLS and no SOUL.
So for me the Beyma's will leave the building and I am gonna order some EVM12L's. Do some calculations for eventual holes in my smaller TT-cabs and mount the suckers in. So the choise between FRFR and old scool cabs is like the choise between hearing the whole flat freq response or just a part but with fat juicy balls.

Cheers

Correct!

We had lots of fun trying the different solutions and IR's. What realy amazed me was the sound of some stock presets with the original IR with mic of. Spot on full warm and a massive sound. At last found the fundaments for a real nice fat juicy sound like all the tube gear out there. Axe-Fx/GT800FX/EVM12L that is it. When you strum the guitar with this setup you REALLY strum your guitar and move a lot of air. The balls in the sound are back. This was what I missed from all fancy and some expensive FRFR I have heard and tested. These FRFR solutions sound good. very good indeed. But it has no BALLS and no SOUL.
So for me the Beyma's will leave the building and I am gonna order some EVM12L's. Do some calculations for eventual holes in my smaller TT-cabs and mount the suckers in. So the choise between FRFR and old scool cabs is like the choise between hearing the whole flat freq response or just a part but with fat juicy balls.

Cheers

Interesting.

Well, I bought an 80's EV12L last week to load into my Mesa 1x12 Theile cab....looks like I'm going to have to spend some time with this over the next week....

>> Yek, care to share any details on how your EV's with the Matrix compared to the K12 and Verve 12ma?

Well, as a guitar cab the EVM automatically filters the extreme lows and especially high freqs.
This was very apparent when switching between the different cabs/monitors.
With the FR monitors extra measurements are needed to deal with this.
So the guitar speakers make things more simple, one could say.

Tonewise the K12 (which i prefer to the Verve) delivers, it's all in there.
The main difference is the "body" the EVMs (and probably any guitar speaker) add. You cannot record this, you need to hear it when playing through both kind of rigs. It's the infamous "in-the-room" thing. With the K12 you can dial in a rock tone, that has it all: gain, bass, treble, mids. You hit the strings and it sounds good, but it's "flat". Then we did the same thing with the EVMs, and now the tone is not only good as well, but you feel it also, regardless of volume. Sorry if it's seems vague, but that's the experience.

Hi yek,

I was struggling with my sound (Ultra > Verve 12Ma/direct to soundboard), I never was able to dial in that body my old crappy preamp delivered into 2 Mesa Thiele 1x12" cabs. I found it much better with cab sims on but OTOH thought that was wrong...now that you guys are going this way tickles me to give it another try. I actually swapped the Black Shadow C90s for EVM 12Ls (they still need to be broken in), anyway the combination with the GT800FX sounds much better than with the Engl 850/100.
How are you going to translate the results to P.A. ? Miking the cab or going direct and adjusting the global EQ ?

Hi yek,

I was struggling with my sound (Ultra > Verve 12Ma/direct to soundboard), I never was able to dial in that body my old crappy preamp delivered into 2 Mesa Thiele 1x12" cabs. I found it much better with cab sims on but OTOH thought that was wrong...now that you guys are going this way tickles me to give it another try. I actually swapped the Black Shadow C90s for EVM 12Ls (they still need to be broken in), anyway the combination with the GT800FX sounds much better than with the Engl 850/100.
How are you going to translate the results to P.A. ? Miking the cab or going direct and adjusting the global EQ ?

For recording purposes and going direct-to-FOH I'll probably use two signal routings.
The routing that goes to the EVMs ("backline" routing) has either no cab at all (letting the EVMs do their job) or a cab with a neutral mic.
The routing that goes into the computer or to FOH will have a matching cab sim and probably a SM57.
The tones of both routings won't be identical but honestly I don't care. :)

>> Yek, care to share any details on how your EV's with the Matrix compared to the K12 and Verve 12ma?

Well, as a guitar cab the EVM automatically filters the extreme lows and especially high freqs.
This was very apparent when switching between the different cabs/monitors.
With the FR monitors extra measurements are needed to deal with this.
So the guitar speakers make things more simple, one could say.

Tonewise the K12 (which i prefer to the Verve) delivers, it's all in there.
The main difference is the "body" the EVMs (and probably any guitar speaker) add. You cannot record this, you need to hear it when playing through both kind of rigs. It's the infamous "in-the-room" thing. With the K12 you can dial in a rock tone, that has it all: gain, bass, treble, mids. You hit the strings and it sounds good, but it's "flat". Then we did the same thing with the EVMs, and now the tone is not only good as well, but you feel it also, regardless of volume. Sorry if it's seems vague, but that's the experience.

Thanks. I'm very anxious to get the EV12L I just bought into my 1x12 cab now....

I actually swapped the Black Shadow C90s for EVM 12Ls (they still need to be broken in), anyway the combination with the GT800FX sounds much better than with the Engl 850/100.

Hi gitfruit, how will you compare the GT800FX with the the C90s vs the EVMs?

I was thinking of trying an EVM in an Atomic Passive cab. The Atomic speaker is a 12" 200w speaker so the EVM may
Be a good match to that cab plus you have the added feature of an adjustable tweeter.

Any thoughts on this?

Hi Vitchpad1,

as I said my EVM´s are pretty new and need to be broken in, but my initial impression is that the bass is tighter, punchier and the highs smoother than with the C90s. The C90s have this high-end sizzle similar to V30s, if you like a bit of dirt and bite in your sound that´s fine, the EVMs sound "cleaner", almost "jazzier" so to say. I am mostly playing high-gain stuff, so now I can dial in more gain :mrgreen
In combo with the GT800FX I find everything sounding more transparent, details of the few effects I use are more evident, and also additional tweaking that is required...

Many thanks gitfruit, I will definitally try the EVM12l. I will contact TT cabs, as the cabs that they've built for Yek looks pretty good.

If you put a single EVM in the cab, the cab isn't heavy.

Yek,
Thanks for yesterday I had a big grine on my face afterwards. Was thinking sending a PM but other users may find this also interesting. Could you measure the inner size of your cab like I explained yesterday with the diameter of the two holes (sorry forgot the official word)? Could you also check if their are tubes mounted behind the 2 holes by sticking a needle through the cloth on the side of one hole?

i need this to check if my smaller TT-cabs need some modification to to move the lower roll-of frequency

Thanks

Yek,
Thanks for yesterday I had a big grine on my face afterwards. Was thinking sending a PM but other users may find this also interesting. Could you measure the inner size of your cab like I explained yesterday with the diameter of the two holes (sorry forgot the official word)? Could you also check if their are tubes mounted behind the 2 holes by sticking a needle through the cloth on the side of one hole?

i need this to check if my smaller TT-cabs need some modification to to move the lower roll-of frequency

Thanks

Thanks. I'm very anxious to get the EV12L I just bought into my 1x12 cab now....

Let me add this: If the guitar signal goes to the FOH and all you need is a monitor, the K12 does fine. The Verve performed well too that way (when it wasn't broke).

My focus here is the use of the EVM-cab as a backline amp, at rehearsals or in small bars.

Yek,

Thanks

Sure, I'll post these later.
Yeah, yesterday was "enlightning". :)

Yek, thanks for that.

Did the brown delivery truck already stopped at your front door?

You are gonna have a great weekend playing with your new toys!

Please publish your findings here on the forum cause Andy and Matt diserve this.

Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom