EVH Flanger pedal

ThelmoRego

Inspired
hey guys, anyone have a flanger preset that copies the MXR EVH flanger with the preset button engaged. I've come close but when I use the real pedal, it's just so much deeper and in your face, my preset that I've made sounds close but is more subtle and doesn't jump from the speakers like the pedal.
Thanks in advance for the help.

I've spent a lot of time on this. The closest I've been able to come is:

Type: Analog mono
Rate: 0.451 hz
Depth: 10.7 %
Time: 0.760 ms
High cut: 8000 hz (default for type)
Drive: 4.00 (default for type)
Auto depth: Off

Everything else at default.

Thanks guys, neither one of those sounds right. Here is what I have if you'd like to play around with it. I think it sounds close just missing something.

Pop Flanger
Rate 0.386
Tempo None
Depth 25%
Delay time 0.250 ms
Feedback 69.7
Auto Depth Off
LFO Type Sine
LFO Phase 0.0
LFO Hicut 50
LFO Bypass Reset Off
Thru Zero off
Dry Delay 0.0
Mix 82.7
Spread 82.7

The best one I've seen and its really close is one of the Danzi flangers as Yek suggested, It wasn't easy to find but here are the settings, I think it is extremely close to the pedal when I A/B them. So thank you Yek and Danzi.

Stereo Jet
Rate 0.250hz
Tempo None
Depth 20.5
Delay time 0.549 ms
Feedback 75%
Auto Depth Off
LFO Type Sine
LFO phase 0.0
LFO hicut 50 hz
LFO bypass Reset OFF
Thru Zero Off
Dry Delay 50%
Mix 100%
Level 0.5
Spread 100%

Tone Pg
Low cut 20hz
Hi Cut 12000
Drive 0
None Phase reverse

The best one I've seen and its really close is one of the Danzi flangers as Yek suggested, It wasn't easy to find but here are the settings, I think it is extremely close to the pedal when I A/B them. So thank you Yek and Danzi.

Stereo Jet
Rate 0.250hz
Tempo None
Depth 20.5
Delay time 0.549 ms
Feedback 75%
Auto Depth Off
LFO Type Sine
LFO phase 0.0
LFO hicut 50 hz
LFO bypass Reset OFF
Thru Zero Off
Dry Delay 50%
Mix 100%
Level 0.5
Spread 100%

Tone Pg
Low cut 20hz
Hi Cut 12000
Drive 0
None Phase reverse
Those settings look way off, to be honest. Mix at 100 %? Is the flanger in parallell?

Those settings look way off, to be honest. Mix at 100 %? Is the flanger in parallell?
No it's in series, it sounds spot on comparing it to the actual pedal but if you prefer a little bit more dry signal mixed then of course you obviously have that option.

No it's in series, it sounds spot on comparing it to the actual pedal but if you prefer a little bit more dry signal mixed then of course you obviously have that option.
Sorry, I find that hard to believe. The real pedal has a mix of 50% or thereabouts. That's how flangers, choruses etc without a mix knob work. There are also a number of other settings that are just off.

Sorry, I find that hard to believe. The real pedal has a mix of 50% or thereabouts. That's how flangers, choruses etc without a mix knob work. There are also a number of other settings that are just off.
Did you try it or are you saying that it's off based on what your looking at on here? I don't think 50% sounds good at all, way to much dry coming in. Even my try at it a few posts up was around 80%. Anyway I'm not trying to convince you of anything, I complained that I wasn't happy with my flanger block, yek made me a suggestion and I liked it and thought I would share, if those settings don't work for you then by all means, do it differently and rock out.

Did you try it or are you saying that it's off based on what your looking at on here? I don't think 50% sounds good at all, way to much dry coming in. Even my try at it a few posts up was around 80%. Anyway I'm not trying to convince you of anything, I complained that I wasn't happy with my flanger block, yek made me a suggestion and I liked it and thought I would share, if those settings don't work for you then by all means, do it differently and rock out.

Well, you may like it more, but it's not very close to the pedal. Not raining on your parade, just pointing it out. I did try it out. Again, you may like it more, and that's cool. Yek actually did a EVH flanger block a couple of years ago, and his settings are pretty much identical to mine.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...0-with-an-axe-fx-ii.86610/page-2#post-1062728

Last edited:
I'm really seeing the irony here, since I'd guess that of us "hear" the 1st album in our heads and want to some how reproduce that. But I'm not sure we can know how the mixing influenced that sound. Setting the "mix" higher in the flange block does help. Going above 50% does help, despite the mix of the original pedal being roughly that (or at least that's what I think is being said).

Was there any phasing applied to that first album signal? Are there any web resources that break this down as far as the mixing?

As far as a basic pedal creating the effect, is this close (It sounds somewhat close to me)?

I don't get to this degree of effect no matter how I've tried, nor do the blocks and settings suggested. Until I start to mute the strings properly. Then it gets closer. No doubt the recording and compression of the video helps get even closer... At which point I find I can back off the "mix" setting, to about 43% Lol.

EDIT:
i've read/seen a couple of articles/vids where the Flanger is combined with the phaser, but not continuously, but engaged and disengaged. I'm wondering if anyone knows if this is true and where it happens if so. When I engage the phaser on top of the flange on the single line of Ain't talkin' bout Love, just one beat of it, it makes some sense. Its an alternative to turning the mix up "too high" in the flanger, since it adds a bit of flange coloration on top, making the passage sound like its deep in a 20 foot diameter tube.

Last edited:
Well, a couple of points:

1. Eddie only activated his flanger for certain notes. He didn't play the whole riff of Ain't talking about love with it on, same deal with Unchained. This helps with what to listen for.
2. Personally, I haven't tried to match the phaser or flanger from the actual VH albums, I've used different high quality demos of the gear instead. So no "in the room" clips or clips with excessive plaing etc. Clips with as simple or even static playing as possible and with the amp properly miced up is the ticket. For instance, there is a demo clip on Youtube of a EVH flanger, where the flanger is placed AFTER a distortion pedal and the guy just slams a power chord, makes it that much easier to match the pedal.
3. Something I noticed, not all EVH flangers sound exactly the same with the EVH button engaged. For instance, the time parameter differed from about 0.740 ms to 0.780 ms between different pedals. If this is due to different versions or component tolerances, I don't know. But either way, when somebody posts a EVH flanger preset and time parameter isn't even in that ballpark, then I know it's just way off and not correct. Same with rate, it is roughly 0.450 hz, and I've seen presets with the rate all over the place.

Anybody know what the equivalent controls for the MXR flanger are on the Flanger block? the manual states

MANUAL knob controls the degree of phase shifting

WIDTH knob controls the intensity of the time delay set by SPEED knob (Depth? Spread?)

SPEED knob controls the speed of time delay (rate)

REGEN knob controls the intensity of the overall effect (Feedback?, Depth?)

Back
Top Bottom