EVH 5150 IIIS (new model)

kgk

A new 5150 variation is out. I wonder if it will show up in future firmware? I hope so! :)

<http://www.evhgear.com/extras/5150iiis/>

According to this website the differences are:

- A re-voiced second channel for more present, defined low-mids and crunch
- Enhanced low-frequency range on the third channel
- Increased gain on channels 2 and 3 to drive your tone to the next level
- Rear-panel resonance controls for each channel giving you even more powerful lows
- Newly added adjustable bias control

Probably nothing which cannot be temporarily dialed in on the current models

According to this website the differences are:

- A re-voiced second channel for more present, defined low-mids and crunch
- Enhanced low-frequency range on the third channel
- Increased gain on channels 2 and 3 to drive your tone to the next level
- Rear-panel resonance controls for each channel giving you even more powerful lows
- Newly added adjustable bias control

Probably nothing which cannot be temporarily dialed in on the current models

Sounds like they want to sell more amps. ;)
More gain? They will end up like the JVM. Totally unusable above 12 O'clock. At least the real amps i have tried.

Yeah I can not think of any reason why a 5150 III needs more gain. I have owned one nice amp but it can get out of control fast. So yeah more gain is just what it needs /sarcasm off

Speaking of 5153, in latest firmware I popped over to the green channel to hear if it's got any usable cleans, and i could not get it to clean up for the life of me. I had to have gain down to like 1, input trim almost off, master at like 2, and i could still get it to breakup.

"S" is for that sound you get when you aren't playing ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss because it has too much gain.

Speaking of 5153, in latest firmware I popped over to the green channel to hear if it's got any usable cleans, and i could not get it to clean up for the life of me. I had to have gain down to like 1, input trim almost off, master at like 2, and i could still get it to breakup.
This is exactly how the original is. I had the pre tube changed on the green channel on mine. Before I had to leave the gain at almost off and raise the MV high.

In the axe, I use the green channel exclusively for my cleans. It sounds like the real deal. It's not too fat, not too thin, just perfect. Haven't tried the other amps on fw17 and 18, but when I got the axe, that's the only clean I liked.

Yes seeing Eddie playing up close was my favourite part of this video also.

So cool to see Eddie playing up close like that. I think Eddie's taste is evolving due to further sensorineural hearing loss. It's ironic too, because a lot of his classic parts aren't as overdriven as everything thinks they are.

I've played with the resonance knob on the new models quite a bit and it's a cool feature. Definitely not worth buying a whole new amp over. And agreed - the green channel you need to keep the gain as low as you can get it and it will still sound chimey (in a good way to my ears). If you approach the green channel like other amps' channel 2, you can have some fun turning the gain up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom