EVH 5150 III Stealth Hum

LeBigMac

Inspired
Hi guys, Merry Christmas! I bought an FX8 for Christmas to use with my 5150 Stealth (my wish for the Axe Fx). And I'm completely amazed how transparent the FX8 is. The only Problem I have ist a small hum noise while using the 4CM. It's not big but noticeable. Im using 2 Humanster Cables as described in the manual.
Is there a residual hum you just can't get rid of, or is it something else?
Maybe I'm just spoiled from the Axe Fx, since it's so quiet.
Thank You for the help in advance!
Have a nice Holliday!

i had a stealth and now have a el34 stealth and have no hum problems with or without humbusters. try it in another room you might have a grounding problem on that circuit. i actually use a whirlwind ground lift like pete thorn on my board that the fx runs thru now just because most bars have dirty power, but without that i never had any issue. shoot support a message.

Environment is always a wild card for or hum and unexpected noise, dimmer switches can cause problems, electronics that are adjacent like power warts or computers cell phones I like to use high quality power filters for all my electronics but sometimes I still have problems you may need to experiment with "all" of your connectors I had a radio station that was making its way into my sound and was at a loss for how it was penetrating my sound and found that it was a high end monster cable that was causing the problem, check your gear....

Merry Christmass and happy New Year

First of all, does the head hums with just guitar, cable, amp and speaker at the same settings?

Next: do you get hum if you just run a cable from the send to the return?

Does it hum with the AX8 only in the loop? And only in the front?

Not having to do this kind of troubleshooting on a lot of different guitar rigs is a great plus of the Axe-Fx :)

Hi! Thanks for the replies. The amp by itself doesn't hum. If I connect the FX8 as PRE only or POST only there is also no hum.
Only in the 4CM and weirdly enough, if I reverse the Humanster cable that goes into the input of the amp, the hum gets louder. Not the case with the Humanster cable in the FX-loop return of the amp.

think you might be onto something. have you tried different cables? try not using the humbusters, they may have a bad solder joint giving you a ground loop.

Two thoughts:

1) What do you mean by "hum?" That might seem like an obvious question, but I've heard every sound under the sun get labeled as "hum."

2) Check your overall gain, through amp, AX8 Pre and Post. The more gain you use, the more noise you'll get.

Are they plugged into the same power source? ( should be)That can take care of ground loops/hums. Just another idea.
I have a brand new Friedman Runt 50 amp & had a small amount of hum . I fixed it when I realized I had the amp plugged into one outlet & the FX8 plugged into a different one.

Plugging them into the same outlet & powerstrip removed this hum & ground loop completely.

Try moving your amp to a different room & outlet, turn off lights, TV etc....etc....

Don't rule out anything at this point.

What are your global FX8 settings?

Here are mine for reference.....
46BB80EA-20A0-48BB-8124-AC89F78C3438_zpsza0cyurw.jpg

Good luck chasing this down & fixing it.....

I can send you one of my FX8 rigs to test out as well if needed? PM me your e-mail address if you want it....

X

Thaks for all the advice. An speciall thanks to X-Mann for offering to lend mehis device. I'm in Germany, so that would be preaty complicated. It is nice to be a part of the fractal community.
I contacted G66 for tech support. Right now I'm preaty sure it's the room.
I will go to another romm on Thursday or Friday and check it out.
Let's keep fingers crossed.

Thaks for all the advice. An speciall thanks to X-Mann for offering to lend mehis device. I'm in Germany, so that would be preaty complicated. It is nice to be a part of the fractal community.
I contacted G66 for tech support. Right now I'm preaty sure it's the room.
I will go to another romm on Thursday or Friday and check it out.
Let's keep fingers crossed.
I only offered to send you a few of the FX8 presets that I made that produce no hum through my set-up (Not my actual FX8 unit). I figured with my settings & a preset or two, you could rule out the FX8 & get to the bottom of your hum issue.

I do hope that you can chase this all down & fix it.....

Peace! X

Last edited:
Hahaha X-Mann, sorry for the misunderstandin. I feel so silly.
I was in another Room today, and there was no hum. Everything work very well and sounded expectacular. My favorite feture is the transparency of this unit. 0 tone suck. Thanks for all the help!

Hahaha X-Mann, sorry for the misunderstandin. I feel so silly.
I was in another Room today, and there was no hum. Everything work very well and sounded expectacular. My favorite feture is the transparency of this unit. 0 tone suck. Thanks for all the help!
No worries at all here & I'm just glad that you have everything fixed now.

I only had a mild amount of hum that was reduced to zero after testing & trying out a few different things.

The same power outlet is key even with the Humbuster cables.

I can't believe how much gain I get w/ the Friedman Runt amp & some of the FX8 drive pedals.....& NO noise!!!!! #awesome

I really think Fractal has all the bases covered in their product line right now too!

PM me if you ever need any more help!

X

How do you guys run your amps and your board on the same outlet at gigs on large stages? Most places I play, there's no way to do that unless I run a long extension cord across the stage, which I don't want to do for obvious reasons.

How do you guys run your amps and your board on the same outlet at gigs on large stages? Most places I play, there's no way to do that unless I run a long extension cord across the stage, which I don't want to do for obvious reasons.

i'm guessing the power is going out in a loom. you can get flat fairly small extension cords, take up as much if not less than one cable you are already running out to the board.

Back
Top Bottom