EV1 or EV2?

GuitarEC

So, I'm coming close to my Waitlist date (HURRAY!) and starting to research the inevitable accessories to go with it. I was thinking about going the Temple Audio Pedalboard route, but for right now, I'm not exactly touring or gigging enough to justify that expense. So, I'm looking at hardshell padded road cases for the FM9, 2 expression pedals, and a few cables.

Looking at Fractal's offerings, I'm trying to size up a case (MAN those EV1s are big). Would I be better off going with the EV2? Can folks tell me their thoughts/opinions/experiences between the two?

I've had EV1's in the past and love 'em. For my current setup though, I opted to have 2 EV2's instead of the EV1's They are great also, and if you want a smaller footprint, that's the way to go. I do like the long throw of the bigger EV1's though.

I've had EV1's in the past and love 'em. For my current setup though, I opted to have 2 EV2's instead of the EV1's They are great also, and if you want a smaller footprint, that's the way to go. I do like the long throw of the bigger EV1's though.
Did you find the longer throw of the EV1 gives better resolution/control when you had them, or is the difference negligible?

all depends on what your pedal platform will be. Ev2's will work in any situation but if you have room and want larger throw I'd say go EV1's.

The EV1 is about the same size as the ubiquitous Ernie Ball volume pedal seen on pedalboards forever. It is large, but not overly so. I tried an EV2, but it felt like a mini-pedal under my foot. As you can see by others’ comments, that isn’t everyone’s experience! I preferred the feel of the Mission pedals, and might just stick with them.

I did, however, get an EV1 to try with my FM9T that should be arriving on Jan 31st. I’ve tried it here and like the feel of it. I don’t think one or even two of them with an FM9 would be too large for me, as I don’t use other pedals on the floor. Like @Chewie5150 says, it really depends on your preference and space.

Both work great! I did have a couple of EV-1's on my FC12 and FM9 boards as my vol pedal, I've since sold them and I'm using a couple of EV-2's instead as I needed to free up some space. I actually prefer the EV-2's now they are very comfortable to use.

Did you find the longer throw of the EV1 gives better resolution/control when you had them, or is the difference negligible?
The EV-1 and EV-2 have exactly the same throw.

You work an expression pedal by flexing your ankle at different angles, so “throw” is determined by the difference between the minimum and maximum angles.

Line up an EV-1 and EV-2, side-by-side. Put both pedals in heel-down position. You’ll see that both pedals are at the same angle. Now put them both in toe-down position. Again, both pedals are at the same angle. The throw is identical.

I went back and fourth between the EV1 & EV2 also. I opted for a pair of EV1 pedals mounted next to my FM9 on a Temple Audio Duo 34 board. Fits perfect!

I actually have a couple of both. It will come down to personal preference.
I really like the feel and control of the EV-1.
The size of the EV-2 is convenient. I have a small board with the EV-2 mounted to it.
But I just grab whatever fits my mood at the time.

FM3 PRS T.jpg

I went back and fourth between the EV1 & EV2 also. I opted for a pair of EV1 pedals mounted next to my FM9 on a Temple Audio Duo 34 board. Fits perfect!
If things turn more serious (start regular gigging/travel) that's the route I'm going - Temple Duo 34 with hardshell case.

I had a single EV1 plus a Dunlop for a years. I went for two EV2s for my FM9 Temple Trio 28board as the EV1s are a little heavy and would not fit in the horizontal layout - it works Ok but in hindsight I could have got away with one , plus a footswitch. The layout and Temple Trio 28 I chose makes my EV2s a little close together so I occasionally activate the wah when I mean to ride the volume. The EV2s are great, but they obviously need a bit of space between them. Back to the drawing board

Both are great. Between the two I prefer the EV-2s because of the size. The 1s just ate up a bit too much real estate for my liking. The 2s are not quite Mini-pedal small but I do understand why sone people think they're too small. I think the sweet spot is probably right between the two.

FWIW, I ended up using a pair of Moog EP-3s which are kind of that sweet spot size for me. I like them well enough that I sold all my EVs. If Fractal ever comes out with an EV-3 or something that's right in the middle I'll probably switch to those. I do love Fractal.

the other week I was in the same position deciding between the two sizes. I decided to get the EV-1's. I have the Temple Audio Duo 34 and the EV-1's fit nicely especially cuz the 1/4" jacks are at the top allowing you to put the pedals close together

Attachments

• FC12.jpg
    FC12.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 101
I had a single EV1 plus a Dunlop for a years. I went for two EV2s for my FM9 Temple Trio 28board as the EV1s are a little heavy and would not fit in the horizontal layout - it works Ok but in hindsight I could have got away with one , plus a footswitch. The layout and Temple Trio 28 I chose makes my EV2s a little close together so I occasionally activate the wah when I mean to ride the volume. The EV2s are great, but they obviously need a bit of space between them. Back to the drawing board
This is my thing, that I can only get them so close together before my wide width foot starts doing a double-pedal dance. This is one of the reasons I often use only one. In the space my foot requires, the EV1 or Dunlop fits so I might as well use the one that feels better.

Back
Top Bottom