EV-2, Volume, Whammy and Wah in a Single Preset

rnjscooter

Power User
Hey everyone, I feel like I read all the threads from a few years back, read wiki, and even found links to wiki's that no linger exist. I have a bit of a learning disability and I learn better from videos, but....

I watched coopers vids on how to make a wah and a whammy. He doesn't really address how to do both in a single preset. In my preset I also added a volume block so now I have all 3 blocks. They are all in series, before the amp, and I think I have to put them all in parallel for starters. I know I don't have it right because it appears the blocks come on together occasionally. Does anyone have or is willing to make a video on how to make these 3 work in a single preset? For instance scene 1 wah, scene 2 volume, scene 3 whammy. I am going to try the mixer thing that Yek wrote out. But it also said you can do this without a mixer and those links seem to end in the dead zone.

I really wish I was smarter when it comes to learning by reading.....

if you're not using auto engage with the wah, then simply run all three in parallel and set their bypass modes to "mute". unbypass the one you want to use in each scene that you want to use it

if you use auto engage with the wah, then it's a little more complicated. you'll need to use a mixer block and control the level of the mixer inputs with the scene controller. place the volume block after the cab and set it's bypass mode to "thru"

put the wah on the main line. put the whammy underneath. put the mixer after the wah. set the whammy bypass mode to "thru". use one of the scene controllers to adjust the levels of the two inputs in the mixer that control the levels of the wah and whammy. they should be inverse - so when one is at 100%, the other will be at zero. when you want to use the volume pedal, the mixer should be set to the whammy input, but the whammy should be bypassed.

volume pedal = mixer to whammy, whammy bypassed
whammy = mixer to whammy, volume bypassed
wah = mixer to wah, volume bypassed

hope that helps

Wow Simeon, thanks for this, I will work on it as soon as I get my daughter to school. Question, cuz I smoked way to much pot in the 80's, what does auto engage do? Does that mean it will be on as soon as i hit the scene button? Definitely don't want that. I THINK I would like each one to engage as SOON as I touch the pedal, but not until? Still trying to sort it all out, because I obviously don't know what it actually is that I am trying to accomplish. I think that gets a little weird with the volume block. I noticed that when I went to the heel position and rested it would go back to full volume

The EV-2 is not spring loaded so I will have to set it to heel always to hear the full scope of the whammy for the last not in a solo
Same with the wah, although I guess the pedal could be in any position and just touching it engages the wah
the volume is a little harder, if I press the scene to engage, then wherever the pedal is at that particular moment would be the actual volume?

I know the EV-2 doubles as a volume, but I don't think in this scenario you can truly use the line in line out part of the pedal to control volume, while still using it as a wah/whammy?

auto engage means the wah will turn on when you move the pedal. the wah will turn off when you put it back to the home position, which can either be toe up or toe down. in your case, i imagine toe down would be best. you can also use auto engage with the whammy, which would be a good idea, because home position for the wah and volume is toe down, but for the whammy, it's toe up

Wow, so that was amazing. How did you guys even come up with that?

Wondering why in the "Y" state, the wah and the pitch have to to have bypass to Mute AND level to -80db.

Why you chose medium speed in Wah and Fast speed in Pitch, as well as wondering what medium and fast position mean, which is what cooper carter uses.

Lastly, as I try to wrap my head around all this, haha, the volume does not have a modifier set to engage, but the block just is on. could it? and is it stupid to think about that?

I guess I like the thought of the pedal being in any position and doesn't engage any of the 3 until it moves.

And lastly, wondering if I could ad a forth, a 3nd Volume behind the amp block for the massive swells. I guess I could do that with just turning the block on or off? hmmm

Wondering why in the "Y" state, the wah and the pitch have to to have bypass to Mute AND level to -80db.

Why you chose medium speed in Wah and Fast speed in Pitch, as well as wondering what medium and fast position mean, which is what cooper carter uses.

Lastly, as I try to wrap my head around all this, haha, the volume does not have a modifier set to engage, but the block just is on. could it? and is it stupid to think about that?

1. Pedal is always able to engage the blocks, so those Y state settings keep it muted.

2. Slow/med/fast determines delay before bypass once source value is in "off" range. "Fast" is probably too immediate for most wah use but may be fine with whammy. "Speed" auto-engage require a certain pedal/value rate change to engage block (vs. a simple value threshold with position type).

3. No reason to use auto-engage on volume block in this example.

It would be a lot easier if you use at least two expression pedals. Especially if one has a built in switch. For example for my Axe FX II/MFC setup I have a switched pedal that I use for the wah and the whammy. I use the built in switch in the pedal to cut the wah on and off and I use a switch in the MFC to switch the pitch on for the whammy and X/Y for pitch 1 octave down. I use a second pedal for volume which is currently a non switched pedal.

For my AX8 setup I use two non switched pedals that have the wah on one auto engaged and the other one is activated by a switch on the AX8 that is set up to cut the pitch on and off and X/Y between whammy and pitch 1 octave down. I'm not using a volume for most presets.

So there are a few ways around it so don't be afraid to experiment!

It would be a lot easier if you use at least two expression pedals. Especially if one has a built in switch. For example for my Axe FX II/MFC setup I have a switched pedal that I use for the wah and the whammy. I use the built in switch in the pedal to cut the wah on and off and I use a switch in the MFC to switch the pitch on for the whammy and X/Y for pitch 1 octave down. I use a second pedal for volume which is currently a non switched pedal.

For my AX8 setup I use two non switched pedals that have the wah on one auto engaged and the other one is activated by a switch on the AX8 that is set up to cut the pitch on and off and X/Y between whammy and pitch 1 octave down. I'm not using a volume for most presets.

So there are a few ways around it so don't be afraid to experiment!

I have an SP-1, but I am trying to lighten the Load while I fly, thats why I thought I would try the EV-2. But yes you are right.

Has anyone made the EV-2 a DIY spring loaded pedal? I know I have seen some guys wrap rubber bands around their expression pedals but I don't think thats the way to go

I've done the multi-function pedal thing, and while it works, I'd honestly say having multiple pedals is worth the extra gear to carry.

I simply found it really confusing and off-putting while performing to try to remember which mode the pedal was in and what effect I was going to get. It does work, but it's just more to think about, and you really need to plan out your set.

For me, knowing that anytime I step on my spring loaded mission pedal that I'm going to get a wah, with any of my patches and scenes makes life way simpler. Same goes for my EB vpjr which always gives volume

Again, totally understand the motivation for single pedal, but sometimes the best things in theory don't work as well in actual use.

I tend to agree with the last poster but think it's also good for understanding the capabilities of your gear by trying out more complex routings and control setups. I recently set up a double function switch to scroll through expression pedal functions (switching through CCs) on two expression pedals connected to my LF+. I had four functions on each pedal. Yeah - it works, but it was a pain in the arse to keep track of where I was at any given time. Tonight I changed it back to two functions per exp pedal and got my mind back. Happy again :)

I have an SP-1, but I am trying to lighten the Load while I fly, thats why I thought I would try the EV-2. But yes you are right.
I hear you loud and clear and that's why I chose the Roland EV-5 for my two pedals in my AX8 setup and as my second pedal in my MFC setup because they're light and very durable!!

hey can anyone help me understand why with my wah on a preset in the x state, my pedal can be anywhere and it engages as soon as I touch it, BUT, and this the BUT, when my whammy is in the x state, and pedal is anywhere BUT heel position, I have whammy pitch going on. It doesn't wait till I touch it. anyone?

You need to use SPD autoengage style in that case. Also make sure the preset is stored w/ pitch block bypassed in this scene.

Be aware that if you leave a scene while a block is auto-engaged, it will be on when returning to that scene. So even though SPD type will avoid what you described, it might still not work exactly how you'd like. (Speed vs. position or the scene revert setting have no effect on this.)

also if I feel the length of the pedal is too long and I and didn't want to have to go all the way toe down or heel down to get to the end of the Wahs or Whammys range, is there a way to set that up?

ok i have had it on medium speed since its creation, and that doesn't work. I will try messing with the scale to see if that changes the range of motion

Back
Top Bottom