Euro red "squish"

aziz

Power User
Euro red used to have this sort of "soft" attack and super thick, almost octavefuzz-like feel on melody notes, which I remember hearing in real 101 head too. It's been much harder amp in last two firmwares, what tweaks could I do to get some of that bounciness again? I've tried Sag and CF comp, they go in the right direction.

I remember someone talking about the GAIN on FW15 has been corrected ("lowered"). Perhaps if you crank the input gain a little bit it will deliver that "spongy" feel again.

Previously high master and high bass was the key. Cathode ratio does something now.

Quite a few ways to add and subtract gain. Just use what you like and add it to your box of tricks and tools.

The goal is to make it fuzzier with only medium amount of gain. Combination of all things got me there: the most powerful fuzzifier is the cathode ratio, turn it down and get very fuzzy and weird amp. Preamp and power tube bias give octavefuzz'ish harmonics to single notes, negative feedback is another powerful mess it up -knob, and sag does what it does. Now I have amp with integrated and incredibly adjustable fuzz! I'll post a clip later, I have a wound in my finger. :(

The goal is to make it fuzzier with only medium amount of gain. Combination of all things got me there: the most powerful fuzzifier is the cathode ratio, turn it down and get very fuzzy and weird amp. Preamp and power tube bias give octavefuzz'ish harmonics to single notes, negative feedback is another powerful mess it up -knob, and sag does what it does. Now I have amp with integrated and incredibly adjustable fuzz! I'll post a clip later, I have a wound in my finger. :(

yes ! a low Negative Feedback can turn amps into "brown" territory. so does Bias. definitely gotta try Cathode Ratio ...

Tried this today. Sounds pretty much like the XTC101b that left my house a month ago.

The model is based off the 20th Anny model IIRC, so a little difference from the 101b is expected.

Did you check the Euro Red presets? They are really nice. I think they are in the 80's of the new factory presets.

are you talking about Cathode Squish or Cathode Thresh (CF Comp) ?

No, cathode ratio. Probably not in Axe edit yet.

Edit: Yes it is there, dynamics page. Also, the fuzziness depends on guitar also, now I tweaked this patch to be nice and fuzzy on my Suhr, and it's way too fuzzy with a dark sounding Ibanez RG. Also, this fuzziness reminds me very much of MesaBoogie Studio22. It too has this +1 octave type thing going on.

Here's what I mean by the octave thing:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom