Ethernet cable blues :(

Hi people,

I'm sure plenty of you have found that the port in the back of your MFC is a bit "average" (for want of a better term) at holding the ethernet cable in. I reckon in the right situation, a moderate breeze could possibly dislodge it...

Has anyone come up with something or know of a product that helps with this?? Short of holding it in there with blu-tack/duct tape or making a custom steel bracket of some sort, I'm at a loss to think of anything that will work. bending the clip at the end of the cable out helps a little bit, but only for so long.

Not a huge issue as throughout our live set, I only have a few scene changes and even then, I can get away with playing our whole set with 1 sound if need be, but it's still a hassle I'd like to see rectified one way or another.

your cable is disconnecting? not a problem for me. as long as the "clip" thing on the actual cable is sticking up correctly, it stays in there.

your cable is disconnecting? not a problem for me. as long as the "clip" thing on the actual cable is sticking up correctly, it stays in there.
This. If the tab on the plug is doing its job, it'll take a pretty mean-spirited yank to dislodge the cable. And if the table cable gets tugged that hard, I want it to break free before it topples my Axe to the floor.

It may be time to get a new cable, or at least reterminate the old one.

the cable is fine (used it in my computer & ps3 to test & it was ok) - the plug in the back of the Axe 2 is fine, but the plug in the back of the MFC is sub-par at best. If I hit the MFC with my foot the wrong way, it can (and has done) disconnect. Bending the clip out a little *sort of* helps, but only a little

Try checking the boot of the cable is not interfering with the plug being able to seat correctly.
+1. I had to back off the boot a bit to get mine to seat. I also ended up getting an Ethercon coupler to allow me to use the more robust connector.

...the plug in the back of the Axe 2 is fine, but the plug in the back of the MFC is sub-par at best. If I hit the MFC with my foot the wrong way, it can (and has done) disconnect. Bending the clip out a little *sort of* helps, but only a little
Are you saying that it's easier to knock the cable free from the back of the MFC than to knock that same cable end free from your conputer?

In other words, if you flip the cable end-for end, does the problem follow the cable plug or does it stay with the MFC jack?

I have to give mine a good push to get it to click. But once it's in there, it's hard to get out. I like it like that.

1) Theres no boot on the cable I'm using - so no interference
2) the problem is with the MFC connection point, no matter what end of the cable, it can (and does) come out quite easily.

Also wobbles a lot inside the socket as well - thought maybe it was a dodgy connector, but I've tried a few different cables, all have the same problem. For now it's just a case of bending the clip out a bit more so it holds in there better until such a time as I feel brave enough to open it and fit a new ethernet socket to the board the fits the cables snug.

I imagine mine is an earlier one (maybe???)

Push it in all the way. It should lock in. If not contact FAS support and send it in to be fixed.

Push it in all the way. It should lock in. If not contact FAS support and send it in to be fixed.

It does lock/click, what I'm saying is that the cavity/socket itself seems cavernously big for an ethernet cable so it wobbles and comes loose really easy - maybe U.S./Eu ethernet cables are have Bigger plugs than AUS ones - doubt it though.

freight from Australia to FAS support would probably cost more money/stress/hassle than waiting till the warranty is expired (probably has by now - will check) and fitting a new socket myself.

I've trained myself to be careful with it so it doesn't happen, but I cant account for others walking by or the random crowd member who gets his hands/beer too close to the MFC/cable

Yep, sounds like a bad jack on your MFC. Depending on how it's mounted and connectes to the electronics, it may not be a simple fix. It would be good to discover your options before the warranty runs out.

it didn't worry me much up until recently (I basically stopped using it)

now I'm in a situation where I could almost pass for a tap dancer - yet this problem still occurs.

As mentioned - the cable I use has no boot/cover, it fits nice and snug in my other ethernet devices at both ends, fits fine in the axe fx at both ends, but it seriously is a matter of knocking the cable by accident or pushing the board and it can disconnect...

I know that it's NOT a mark 2 board (they came out a mere 3 months or so after I got mine), warranty is well and truly run out. anyone hear of any mods/fixes for mark 1 FMC's that might help this??

Last edited:
If you still have waranty, deff call Support and have it fixed.
If not I would exchange the plug myself.
It is pretty simple if you know how to solder. If not, any tech guy could do it for you.

awesome, thanks, this could help ail my woes...

As for warranty, WAY outside that now - also, I think our support in Australia ends up meaning he product gets send O/S/ anyway - so lead times would be ridiculous compared to a DIY job

Repairs in Australia are done locally by Totally Technical in Brisbane. They may or may not need to order parts from Fractal in the US, which would obviously affect the repair time. I believe their standard (non warranty) labour rate is AUD$110/hr, including GST, and their minimum fee for quick jobs is $55.

Repairs in Australia are done locally by Totally Technical in Brisbane. They may or may not need to order parts from Fractal in the US, which would obviously affect the repair time. I believe their standard (non warranty) labour rate is AUD$110/hr, including GST, and their minimum fee for quick jobs is $55.

retrofitting an ethercon socket will likely take at least an hour (im going to guess closer to three), plus the freight there and back is going to run up a bill fast approaching a few hundred dollars - not really something I'd enjoy doing. If the ethernet cable keeps it up, I'll switch to running a midi cable/psu - as much as I'd rather not

Back
Top Bottom