Error 14 on MFC Update--Help!

Mott

Experienced
I finally got around to trying to upgrade the firmware on my MFC-101 which has been sitting in my closet forever. Using a 5-pin midi from Axe-II to controller using Bome's Sendx. I consistently get it to show on the display that the upgrade is "100% complete". However, I notice on cobbler's how to thread that his display reads "update complete" instead.

I have tried unplugging at the 100%, but when I power up to do the factory restore, I get an ERROR 14 in the display every time.

I've tried slowing down the buffer to a crawl, and that didn't help either.

I was going to use this thing tomorrow on a trip to jam with a bunch of friends, but it looks like that is not happening.

Guess I shouldn't have waited until the last minute.

I've had this problem too.. the only way I found around it was to update directly from PC using midi (2x2 or UNO in my case - I have both).
That works fine using Electrons C6 filer at slowest speed. I cannot get it to update the firmware over USB to Axe-II and thru to MFC.

On the example in my thread I ran from my PC interfaces (RME UFX) Midi out. I have yet to try thru the Axe-II USB or it's Midi out.

Well direct from my Focusrite Scarlett interface , I have graduated from error 14 to only getting an "error 8" as soon as I hit send. Update didn't even start.

My only option was a cheap Hosa midi connector, but it worked a week ago when I reset the factory patches on my Ultra before I sold it.

Of course I included my Uno with the sale of that, so no option to see if that works. :(

My only option was a cheap Hosa midi connector, but it worked a week ago when I reset the factory patches on my Ultra before I sold it.
Sounds like this would be your best approach.
If it fails, you could always try the update the the Axe-II, USB ->MIDI. Make sure you have MIDI THRU and USB MODE turned on first.

FWIW - the "8" might be caused by some INIT sequence being sent by the Focusrite.

I got the error 14 yesterday while upgrading to 1.03. I finally got it to work by adjusting the delay buffer in MIDI Ox to 50. I was able to use Axe Edit to upgrade to 1.02 but the latest version doesn't seem to work with the MFC anymore. I am not sure why some of us are having these issues while others seem to have no problems. I have a Midiman 2x2 anniversary edition using a PC with Windows 7x64. I am able to upgrade my other music equipment with no problems? I wonder if Axe Edit can be modified to handle the firmware upgrades for the MFC-101? At least then we might have a better chance for success.

Mott said:
I finally got around to trying to upgrade the firmware on my MFC-101 which has been sitting in my closet forever. Using a 5-pin midi from Axe-II to controller using Bome's Sendx. I consistently get it to show on the display that the upgrade is "100% complete". However, I notice on cobbler's how to thread that his display reads "update complete" instead.

I have tried unplugging at the 100%, but when I power up to do the factory restore, I get an ERROR 14 in the display every time.

I've tried slowing down the buffer to a crawl, and that didn't help either.

I was going to use this thing tomorrow on a trip to jam with a bunch of friends, but it looks like that is not happening.

Guess I shouldn't have waited until the last minute.

I got a similar result with SendSX. When I retried with MidiOX, things worked better.

Same..... once i slowed down the buffer it worked fine. Using Snoize with the axe ii as midi interface on my mac.

Used Snoize, worked like a charm. And you have to restore then do: Once you done the factory reset (described above) you will need to go into EDIT, SETUP and set AxeFX MODE = II, then EDIT, MIDI and set port to EXPANSION.

Thanks for all the good info guys.

Guys,
for future reference, there's a list of ERROR codes - very well explained - in the MFC manual.
In the 1.02 version of the manual, they can be found on Page 68.

Back
Top Bottom