Bug? Error 14, can't solve the problem (Please, help!!!)

GLDF

Hi everyone,

I've seen the description on how to solve the error 14 problem on the MFC 101 MK3, but I still can't get it to work! I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong, since I'm really, really bad at technical problem solving in general!

I'm using the Axe FX II XL as the MIDI interface

1. I have a MIDI cable connected from the Axe FX II MIDI Out to the MFCs MIDI In!
2. I also have the FASLINK cable connected that I use to power up the MFC.
3. I have USB Adapted Mode to "ON" and Send Realtime Sysex to "NONE" on the Axe FX!
4. While having everything powered up (MFC showing Error 14) I go to Fractal Bot, to SEND, I choose the MFC-101 MK3 and Axe FX II MIDI Out
5. I lower the MIDI Buffer Delay to below 90 ms (been down to about 40 ms)
6. I load the .syx file, and I begin to load it! It completes, says the update is completed and that it should say on the display of the MFC that it is. But it doesn't, it still displays Error 14!

I really appreciate help on this issue! I'm kind of bad at this stuff and I always worry a lot, so any detailed description for dummies on what I can be doing wrong is highly appreciated!

Thanks a lot

// Luca

EDIT: I also tried powering it all up while holding down footswitch #1 to get to FM Update Mode, but while loading the .syx I get error 17 instead.

Last edited:
Hey!
I had exactly the same problem. In the very same configuration (XL & MFCIII with FASLink & Midi connected). So I will tell you what I did. No garantie that it works. And if something strange happens ... don't blame on me ... :D

For some reason I pressed button 6 while powering on. So the MFC booted at least. Not full functionality (stomp switches didn't work). But I was able to make a backup of the MFC with Fractal Bot. I deleted the MFC i.e. restored factory settings but that didn't kill the error 14. So I reinstalled the latest firmware and dumped the backup. Everything fine since then. Ah, the buffer was good at the default on the Fractal Bot 150ms I think ...

I'm not sure if I should give you the advice to try the same ... at least at your own risk. :? :)

Good luck!

Hey!
I had exactly the same problem. In the very same configuration (XL & MFCIII with FASLink & Midi connected). So I will tell you what I did. No garantie that it works. And if something strange happens ... don't blame on me ... :D

For some reason I pressed button 6 while powering on. So the MFC booted at least. Not full functionality (stomp switches didn't work). But I was able to make a backup of the MFC with Fractal Bot. I deleted the MFC i.e. restored factory settings but that didn't kill the error 14. So I reinstalled the latest firmware and dumped the backup. Everything fine since then. Ah, the buffer was good at the default on the Fractal Bot 150ms I think ...

I'm not sure if I should give you the advice to try the same ... at least at your own risk. :? :)

Good luck!

Hmm... Sounds like there should be a less risky way to solve the problem, but I guess I'll put that option aside in case I don't get it to work some other way =/

The point is, that I don't know, what actually happens, when I press button 6 while power on. All the other steps are "standard". Maybe I'm over-cautious ...

The point is, that I don't know, what actually happens, when I press button 6 while power on. All the other steps are "standard". Maybe I'm over-cautious ...

But if I just take the MFC-101 and restore it to factory settings (Not really sure how to do that), should that solve my problem? Or do you think I will still be stuck with the errors?
Because if it would eliminate these errors, it would be worth it for me. I don't really need to do a backup of MFC-101 settings as long as I have all of my presets etc. on my Axe FX & Axe FX settings.

I'm going into panic soon from not solving this problem (and I have upcoming gigs), so if could only be sure of this, I might try to just restore the MFC-101 and re-set the settings on it from scratch.

Unfortunately resetting didn't do it for me. So I suspect it will not do it for you either. Error 14 is a problem with the firmware. If you can manage to install the firmware once again, you should be done. I saw the AXE stuck with Error 14, so that no actions were possible. The powering on with pressing button 6 was by accident. I didn't remember correct, which button to hold to reset. If you haven't programmed your MFC you don't need a backup, that's correct.
I hope you get it sorted out! Maybe you should contact customer service.
Good luck!

From the firmware upgrade guide:

What does ERROR 14 mean?
Error 14 is a rare problem that occurs after the MFC-101 a failed firmware update. Once this occurs, you can start over to achieve success, but the MFC-101 will “time out” if the update is not completed quickly enough, causing the unit to display ERROR 14 again. Decrease the MIDI Buffer Delay setting in Fractal-Bot (In step 1 “READY”) to 90ms or lower to speed the firmware transmission process.

Good luck!

I was getting Error 14 on my MFC today when I attempted to upgrade the firmware.
Spent several hours trying to figure it out..... extremely frustrating, as there seems to be no real resolution to this.

For me, I went and got a USB Midi interface and it worked after several tries and playing around with the Midi buffer in Fractal Bot (worked at 60ms for some odd reason!?).
It wouldn't upgrade while using the Axe FX 2 as the Midi interface no matter what, even trying almost every buffer setting, different cables etc...

Last edited:
When I try to update to FW 3.06 it says its not the right kind of file???? Cmon! MarkIII.... ive been at this for 2 hours...ugh.

Why doesnt anyone from Fractal follow these issues and give a straight solution? Upgrading FW through the Axe Fx should be a breeze, not like an early 1990's Microsoft Windows experience!

i don't own a midi interface. Haven't needed them for over 6 years.
Do we really need a external midi interface for updating the Fractal gear??

Error 14.... error 18.... error 17...... i NEVER should have started this upgrade!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom