ernie vp jr as expression pedal

esppse

ive been reading on various sites and some people say the 25k ernie vp doesnt work well as an expression pedal and others say the 250k doesnt work well either. that doesnt make sense!

with the MFC 101, which impedance should I choose as an expression pedal?

Thanks
Henry

Honestly, don't use the EB's- the throw isn't right for data.

The Mission pedals or the Boss ones are the way to go.
I say this owning two of the EB's.

can you clarify what you mean when its not right for data?

i see them in use by professional artists all the time though :( i really like the feel of them when i played with one

is there any way to make it function like a normal expression pedal?

Honestly, don't use the EB's- the throw isn't right for data.

The Mission pedals or the Boss ones are the way to go.
I say this owning two of the EB's.

The "throw" (meaning physical angle the pedal moves) is fine with these pedals. The problem is they are volume pedals and therefore have a logarithmic (aka audio) taper potentiometer while you want a liberal [edit: linear] taper potentiometer for an expression pedal.

If you like the feel of the Ernie Ball Jr. pedal and want to use them as an expression pedal then the best thing is to swap out the pot for a linear one and install a TRS jack. All this has been discussed here before see http://forum.fractalaudio.com/mfc-discussion/35300-midi-foot-controller-101-ernie-ball-vp-jr.html

Darryl

Last edited:
can you clarify what you mean when its not right for data?

i see them in use by professional artists all the time though :( i really like the feel of them when i played with one

is there any way to make it function like a normal expression pedal?

I'm not saying they aren't good pedals- they are (I own two remember) but just not for this application.

The "throw" (meaning physical angle the pedal moves) is fine with these pedals. The problem is they are volume pedals and therefore have a logarithmic (aka audio) taper potentiometer while you want a liberal taper potentiometer for an expression pedal.

If you like the feel of the Ernie Ball Jr. pedal and want to use them as an expression pedal then the best thing is to swap out the pot for a linear one and install a TRS jack. All this has been discussed here before see http://forum.fractalaudio.com/mfc-discussion/35300-midi-foot-controller-101-ernie-ball-vp-jr.html

Darryl

Yes, sorry- I was being a bit imprecise with my wording.
What I mean is the pot is the wrong type and all the data change occurs in the top portion of the pot motion.
To me that feels like the throw is wrong- you spend all of your time up at the top portion of the motion trying to be precise where a more uniform taper feels better overall.
The pedals feel great for audio/volume swells when you run your guitar through it but for data it just feels unnatural and imprecise.

I've seen people mod them but never got around to doing it myself.
I'm currently just living with it- I should probably get going with it.

The "throw" (meaning physical angle the pedal moves) is fine with these pedals. The problem is they are volume pedals and therefore have a logarithmic (aka audio) taper potentiometer while you want a liberal [edit: linear] taper potentiometer for an expression pedal.

Darryl

Hi Darryl, someone posted this on another thread...I have already replaced all the pots in my EB pedals (and love them now), but I'm curious and no electronics expert...would putting in resistors like described below accomplish the same thing?

"If you don't want to do the surgery and chase the parts for the pot changeout (there's often metal work involved), you can get a marvelous linear taper with a couple of srategically-placed resistors. Here's a calculator you can use to tell you which resistors to choose. "

Here's the link: Analog Alchemy - EMH

I modded my EB VP Jr for linear rather than logarithmic taper. It was as good as useless before (with the All Access).

Recently the string broke though and it's a complete pain in the arse to fix so I've decided to get a couple of the Boss ones. I prefer them I think. Sure, they're bigger, but if you got shoes on then it's comfortable.

I use a pedal that's never mentioned in these threads--the Korg EXP-2...It's very linear in its 'throw', but its not a heavy-duty style pedal (probably wouldn't be the best choice for a touring setup). However, it is lightweight, and I've had good luck with 2 of them for the past couple of years...FWIW.....

Not sure if the Easy Expression Converter (do a Google search) works as advertised, but if so, it's the easiest solution. I bought one and it doesn't work, but the guy says I may have a bad cable. I've switched to my extra Mission for the week while I wait for a replacement. I'll let everyone know if the replacement functions.

I figured for 20 dollars it was worth the try. I don't really want to take apart the Ernie Ball I have and I just don't like the feel of the mission when used for input volume. It feels great for wah and other expression pedal stuff yes, but not for input volume.

I also tried a Yamaha expression pedal.. I didn't like that one either.

Note that this cable with a built in divider resistance make implicit assumptions about the potentiometer value of the volume pedal. Apparently being designed for ~250k Ohm pots. If you have a ~25k ohm Ernie Ball Jr. pedal this won't work.

While adding fixed resistors like used in this cable you can 'tame' the logarithmic taper its still never going to be linear. My preference is to do these things properly, either buy a real expression pedal or put a linear taper pot in your favorite volume pedal. If you can do basic electrical wiring repairs on a guitar you should be able to do this. If you are not into modifying things yourself and the Mission or other expression pedals or do not rock your boat and the Ernie Ball's do (personally I think the missions are well build but prefer the EB Jr. feel and front cable jack entry) then you can buy Ernie Ball based expression pedals from these companies:

Toneczar
Thru-Tone

Not necessarily the cheapest pedals, but wasting hours messing around with stuff is a waste of time and money. I have no relationship with either company and have never used their modded pedals.

Darryl

Last edited:
Darryl's right on both counts. And while the fixed resisters don't make it truly linear, they come close enough for me that I chose that route over the more invasive pot change.

@Darrly: I actually ordered one of the pots you recommended in an earlier thread (thanks for some great info in that one). But when someone suggested the two-resistors trick, I tried it and liked it.

The Boss and the Ernie Ball look like they have a similar design. Since the Boss works without modifications, what advantage does modifying the Ernie Ball have over just getting the Boss? I haven't seen either in person yet.

I'd been leaning towards the Mission pedals, and still probably am. But I did realize that I'm used to the pedals on my L6 FBV, and these are a little closer to that style. Of course, that doesn't mean I won't adjust to the Mission/Dunlop style just fine.

The Boss and the Ernie Ball look like they have a similar design. Since the Boss works without modifications, what advantage does modifying the Ernie Ball have over just getting the Boss? I haven't seen either in person yet.

I'd been leaning towards the Mission pedals, and still probably am. But I did realize that I'm used to the pedals on my L6 FBV, and these are a little closer to that style. Of course, that doesn't mean I won't adjust to the Mission/Dunlop style just fine.

The Boss and Ernie Ball are both nice but are quite different. The Ernie Ball pedals use a taut Kevlar string (same as Kevlar kite string) to drive the pot, this gives a feel that many people, including me, seem to like (but some folks dislike this feel). You need to play with these to see.

Any of the pedals mentioned should feel better and be more robust than anything Line6.

Darryl

Oh yeah, the pedals on the L6 FBV are certainly nothing that special. The FBV is a nice controller overall, but the pedals don't really have any character. they do have a nice toe switch, and they do get the job done. I was just referencing them as a point of comparison for what style I'm used to. I'll have to see if gc our another local source stocks the two.

Back
Top Bottom