Eric Johnson Tone - Cliffs of Dover

The Coup De Gras would be if GuitarTripp was Eric Johnson, then so many hearts would be broken at once.

I am am eagerly waiting for this patch and looking forward to getting it. Great playing either way, and I am not good enough to know the difference between EJ and what was played here, nor do I care.

I do give props for GuitarTripp for speaking his mind, I don't know if the internet threat of "everybody here hates you" carries any weight from the AOL chatroom days. You can just close your computer laptop screen and everybody goes away.

In summary, great job playing and looking forward to the patch! (And DVD actually)

I really think ,,, u cant go any farther than Rick talking about technique and gettin it right ... Of course thats just what I think

Bases loaded GRAND SLAM

I leave the forum for several weeks and this..

Where is the backing track for that if I may ask and
I dare ask the patch settings.. ?

Spot on and well played..

I guess the next question is Shawn Lane have you started to climb that peak yet ?
I sure hope you to..

Great ears sir and better hands.

Im inspired.

This is the greatest invention for guitar in my 52 years of life ..
I have been playing all night long..
for the past week and sleeping when I want too.

I found this cocked wah setting last night that opened so many more doors of sound with just the wrecker patch.

Im going back to see if you put the patch up for this it would be in stone if you did here.

Bravo for the spectacular playing and ears !

Peace

I would ask which reverb and delay setting right off the bat here cause to my ears its about spot on..
What pickups are you running in the relic may I ask ? Tone cap on bridge ?
Great sounding pups and guitar BTW !

USED YOUR EARS DIDNT YOU ?

Very well done! I liked the way he did it and it was very convincing. For some to critique it to the N'th degree seems to be pointless. If it sounds good and people like what they hear then it's good enough.

Honestly, I agree with GuitarTripp... the OP is CLEARLY extremely talented and has everything so VERY close. I would think he posted to show what he has done and how far he has taken it but possibly to get constructive criticism on how to take it to the next (final?) level. I might not be possible, I mean I agree completely with the very small nitpick's that were pointed out - some chord voicings (maybe not even the voicings, but fingerings used on the voicings?), some slight tense choppiness on the EXTREMELY difficult picking / plucking technique and YES, the tone is definitely more GRITTY than the original...
I personally think the video is so close that blowing smoke up the guys ass does him a disservice, the performance and what is required to try and pull this of is THAT good... I mean, he nails the timing (free time) on the outro solo PERFECTLY!
If the guy had another I don't know, 1000 hours to spend on perfecting this ONE SONG I would suggest he could nail it further and make it more fluid so everything was completely second nature. OR, make it more his own would might be BETTER but clearly would not be an exact replica.
In any case, amazing job - playing and tone were superb if not nailed 100%... and, I agree with GuitarTripp although I feel his delivery and DEFINITELY his replies to some posts were extremely lame.

Excellent stuff. Nailed the vibe and feel of the recording. Sure, some clams and not as smooth as the CD, but hey, I've heard Eric play it much sloppier in some live recordings.

(But still we do not see a preset...)

To all the controversy:

I believe that so many basement/office guitarists are consumed with 'nailing' exact tone and playing style of their hero's. Thus they offer (possibly unwanted) 'constructive criticism' over one or more parts of the performance. This is what they want to do, and I have no problems with someone who's main focus is someone else's style. Go proud if you have no interest in developing your own, but respect that others are maybe just interested in 'getting close'.

Sidebar:
I was in a pub in Abq around early 90's (I guess...it was a blur), and a guy with a Randall amp, a few pedals, and an Ibanez *whatever 80's cock rock machine*, TOTALLY nailed the vibe and tone while keeping it his own. In that po-dunk town, it was very impressive.

So respect each other's sides here. Yes, for me 'right hand bounce' is *for me* a silly thing to hear someone say say to this clip. But it just show's his focus which is on Eric's EXACT style and tone. Nothing wrong with that. I see just as much dedication to Eddie's tone. For many of us, we like to get as close as possible, and still retain the 'me' in the equation.

Now, about that preset?

R

R, thanks for reviving this post. I feel like I just awoke from a coma. How did I miss this thread??? Dude, that was some killer playing. I remember learning a fraction of that tune for a medley once and it took a lifetime to get it right; and I stuck to the EASY parts. I'm another lifetime away from even trying to play the hard bits.

Pa...pa....pa....pa....patch please.....

Back
Top Bottom