Eric Johnson Tone - Cliffs of Dover

Wow, it was unbelievable how easily it seemed that tune was for you to play! It was great. The only bad part is how it makes me feel about my playing, which isn't even within the same universe as yours.

WOOOAA Man!!! You are the... Van Damme of the six strings!!! ahahahha :lol
Just kidding... really great tone Man... maybe just a little bit more gritty (but i like more than the "damped/smoothed" original!)... and superb playing!!!

Honestly, the playing is 'ok'. You can hear the choppiness between each note...need to work on the right hand bounce. Just sayin'...

'guitarmike'...youtube an Eric Johnson video...you'll see the 'corrected method'. I'm not saying the playing is 'bad'...I actually said it was 'ok'. Apparently I'm not allowed to provide constructive criticism on this forum! My statement was that he needs to work on his right hand 'bounce'...it is a key part of EJ's tone. I'm a diehard EJ fan, so when I hear something not right, I'm going to say something ;-) Also, some of the chord voicings are not correct, and I'd have to say the tone has too much gritty distortion, if you want my honest opinion. You guys are too quick to circle jerk each other instead of providing real feedback.

'guitarmike'...youtube an Eric Johnson video...you'll see the 'corrected method'. I'm not saying the playing is 'bad'...I actually said it was 'ok'. Apparently I'm not allowed to provide constructive criticism on this forum! My statement was that he needs to work on his right hand 'bounce'...it is a key part of EJ's tone. I'm a diehard EJ fan, so when I hear something not right, I'm going to say something ;-) Also, some of the chord voicings are not correct, and I'd have to say the tone has too much gritty distortion, if you want my honest opinion. You guys are too quick to circle jerk each other instead of providing real feedback.

The playing is an 'interpretation', its a cover. This is not Eric Johnson. As is, the playing itself is excellent and the tone is excellent. It may be an 'ok' interpretation of tone and playing to you, but that doesn't change the skill or quality of the performance. Constructive feedback is always useful, but it needs to be done it context. Asking for your own 'corrected version' is valid. What is your reference point for your comment? Only EJ's playing? If you haven't done the time to learn to execute the song and tone yourself, then your constructive comment is just based on opinion. I have an opinion of the 'interpretation' myself, but the playing and feel and tone are excellent independently of the interpretation. Besides, encouragement and recognition for well-played and well practiced musicianship is not circle-jerking. It is appreciation. Very valid.

I went back and re-read the original post and did not see where it said "Hey guys. Here is me playing Cliffs Of Dover note for note and with a tonematch so precise that Eric himself said he thought he was listening to the original recording" So, I don't see it as anything but someone showing us a clip of the way they play the song. They didn't ask for tips on improving the tone to sound more like Eric, or tips on how to play it more like Eric, just a "here's me doing it" clip.

Honestly, the playing is 'ok'. You can hear the choppiness between each note...need to work on the right hand bounce. Just sayin'...

Why do you conclude that you are not allowed to provide constructive criticism? You indicated that there was something not quite right about the "right hand"; I just asked that you show us a correct right hand method. I would love to see it and I believe this is a reasonable request of any one offering a critique.

The guy who posted this did a real good job in the opinion of most. Definitely better than I - or any of my guitar buddies can do. And...wait for it...probably better than you can do, with all due respect. (show us a better right hand).

I appreciate the guys who have the balls to post interpretations of songs like this (he also promised a patch) because the don't have to share. It really is a courtesy and a positive contribution, and in my humble opinion, it is "dickish" not to be courteous back.

No offense intended - just offering some constructive criticism.

That's funny! I posted an audio clip once and was slammed beyond all belief! I post some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism and you guys flip! I CAN say this, I DO have the technique down. I wouldn't even consider posting myself playing any EJ stuff for you, because I have no need to justify my abilities to you or anyone else. What bugs me is you guys are all stating, "omg you nailed his tone and you nailed the song!" I just disagree! That is all. Like I said, not bad playing, but not great either. Not sure if you saw the FB post where EJ's fiancé posted this same video, but there was a lot worse feedback than I've given...some of them were so bad that she ended up deleting them!

CONSTRUCTIVE criticism can come from someone who is at least at your level. Otherwise it's ironic.

There is a difference between talking and walking.

Back
Top Bottom