Eric Johnson says the ever-expanding world of guitar gear has resulted in “so much option anxiety”

LOL, sort of ironic coming from Eric Johnson. As much as I love him and agree to an extent, Eric still has other guys to haul is gear around. He might have a different viewpoint if he was carrying his stacks and amps by himself.😉
I agree. I am so tired of some of these guys giving their opinions. As much as I love Tom Bukovac (sp?), he is the same.
Just like I am so tired of the Tube amp and feel BS.............Feel is IN YOUR HEART and HEAD, not your gear!

Last edited:
Honestly though, I can see why he says that. It's true.

If I could sit and play around every great piece of gear for a while, and try to boil it all down, I would still probably have that same indecision/anxiety (so to speak). I definitely was getting that with the IR rabbit hole. But that has as much to do with being selective about production value, as many other things.

In some ways, life was easier when I was focused on classical guitar...

I get what he's saying. There was a time you played the guitar you could find in the store, same for the amp, and a few pedals. The plus side is that you got to know the things you used better, and (often) the only opinions you heard were from you or your band. Today is different and, while I'd be among the first to say we're living in a paradise of choices, the diversification does create a lot of choices that can be hard to wade through... especially for a newer player.

In the end, the best way forward is what @chris says. Pick something and play. Once you do that for a while with one set of gear, you'll be educated as to what works for you and doesn't when GAS strikes and you want something new. I have many times found myself contemplating gear and had to admit to myself "Rick, you don't need a new guitar, you need to learn to play the one you have better!"

In Eric's case, he actually can play, so maybe he has time to get overwhelmed with things he could actually use. ;)

Back
Top Bottom