Eric Johnson says the ever-expanding world of guitar gear has resulted in “so much option anxiety”

It’s been like this for over 20 years. Just choose something and play.

That's really it. If anything, age has taught me that you get used to using what you have, and in the end, there really isn't a whole lot of difference. If anything, I've tried to simplify as much as possible. I've even, and I know this is really pushing it, but maybe getting down to like, two or three guitars.

In a way, I was happier when I had my first shitty guitar and that Peavy amp. Anything else was out of reach, so I didn't worry about it.

It's no wonder the world is dominated by headlines.

If anyone actually read the article, he's not giving anyone advice, he's not even giving his opinion on other guitarist, he's referencing himself when he started writing his newest album.

During a recent appearance on the Boomerocity YouTube channel, Johnson explains how he has responded to such hurdles with a back-to-basics next record that will be “a little bit more straight ahead, and not tons of pedals and gimmicks and stuff"

“Everything's just gotten so... There's so much option anxiety, as far as gear, and then the whole digital technology and everything, It's just gotten so crazy. I thought, 'Well, we need just to return to raw basics; just playing straight up into the amp, you know?'”

It's no wonder the world is dominated by headlines.

If anyone actually read the article, he's not giving anyone advice, he's not even giving his opinion on other guitarist, he's referencing himself when he started writing his newest album.
And it's not even an interview...it's a post about an interview that he did, so you don't even get the full context of what he's saying.

Weird sort of ladder kick from Johnson. Big fan of his and I do agree with him but it's funny how he set a new standard for wet guitar tones and now he's saying we should just plug straight into the amp lol.

"Ladder kick"?

Is that a direct translation of a non-English idiomatic expression, or a piece of regional English vernacular that I've never heard before?

Eric is plugging straight into a Tweed Bassman for the first set of his current tour. I believe he wrote and recorded several new tunes this way. I can’t wait to hear them.

On another note my friend just bought Eric’s 56 Strat tonight and ran into so random dude who plays an Axe-Fx.:)
IMG_0835.jpeg
IMG_5594.jpeg

IMG_5589.jpeg

Well, I read the whole snIppet and took it exactly as it was meant. While he’s not giving an opinion on other guitarists, he is giving an opinion. I see nothing wrong with commenting about it.

First EJ was an idol to me and at one time spent inordinate amounts of time trying to cop is tone and playing. I have seen him live more than a few times. My comment was basically addressing (with tongue in cheek) that sometimes standing from the top of the mountain things have a different appearance versus when you’re a mere mortal looking up. I think mainly he was addressing what it must be like being a young guitarist starting out. I’m 59 and can immediately see all the repetition in marketing and products. Also the ridiculous prices of things that are basically simple distortion pedals, etc.. I haven’t thoroughly considered what a mess it must be to wade through for many younger musicians…or anyone.

I was basically done with my tone quest for 10 years or more until I decided to give modeling one more try. Mostly due to physical limitations that was making it become impossible to be my road crew and player all in one. The FM3 came out at the perfect time. I had heard of Fractal (probably Dweezil Zappa) and many guitarists that I loved were using them. However, early on (early 2000’s sometime) the price and my dislike for modeling kept me from exploring further. So when my body was revolting and a more accessible (price and size) product was available I snagged the FM3. This set off a new era of tech exploration that has been intellectually rewarding as well as just plain fun.

Reminds me of the scene in a Steve Martin movie where he tells a woman standing in the frozen food aisle she's so hot she needs to leave before she melts everything
Was this from “My Blue Heaven” where he plays a mafia guy who’s going to testify against his mob family and is in protective custody with Rick Moranis as the FBI agent assigned to keep track of him.

As in climbing up a ladder and then kicking it over so no one else can come up after you. Like benefiting from something and then chastising others for doing the very same.
Ah, k, cool, thanks! I somewhat understood the general idea of it more or less correctly from context, but had no clue of the origins of the phrase. Thanks for the info! There's a lot of ladder kicking going on the last 40 years or so, it seems....

Back
Top Bottom