Eric Clapton documentary - good film

I can see why some are down from it , but it's a story worth being told , and I'm glad I was able to see it.

I don't disagree with this statement at all, but it has been told before, and in a much better way. That was really my problem. It didn't bring anything new to the table that hadn't been said before. It was just another reminder of how terrible addiction can be. That's the only message I got out of it.

I thought it was a great documentary. Many of the different stories have been told about his early days, his days in cream, the Bonnie days, the Domino days and of course his struggles with heroin and alcohol. And of course his infatuation with Patty. I guess the stories aren't different but were all covered in this documentary. The thing that I came away with was how he struggled with abandonment issues because of his mother and it prevented him from ever being happy or satisfied. The story about his mother's family cutting his hair and smashing his guitar was pretty real. The part about meeting up with his mother later in life and her not wanting anything to do with him. And of course him chasing 'Layla' all those years, then finally he gets his girl, and he screws that up. Also consider he lost friends in Jimi and Duane.

It's hard to feel sorry for those that well off, but on a human level, it's a glimpse into a guy with deep seeded demons who overcame them due to personal loss that awakened him. What he's done since that awakening is very redeeming.

I still think he should toss his strat and combo amp and go back to the 355 and Marshall stack. The tone he had in Mayall's band and Cream are the stuff.

Very cool film.
Especially liked the outtakes on some famous tunes.
Notably "Bell bottom blues" where he's trying to find the famous lick.
Very well done.

Back
Top Bottom