Eric Clapton documentary - good film

I recorded it when there was a free preview weekend, just need to find time to sit down and watch it. This thread might get me motivated to check it out soon.

I recorded it when there was a free preview weekend, just need to find time to sit down and watch it. This thread might get me motivated to check it out soon.

I was in the kitchen to grab a quick snack , flipped thru the TV to see what was on while I was eating , and ended up watching for a couple of hours.

Clapton would probably have been a rock GOD, alongside Jimi Hendrix, or Stevie Ray Vaughn. He just had the misfortune to not tragically die at a young age, leaving us to wonder what his career might have done. We know. Some of it was good, some bad, most was meh. In his youth Clapton was God, and nowadays he's just an old man.

In his youth Clapton was God, and nowadays he's just an old man.
Some day, if the real God allows it, you will be "just an old man" and perhaps realize how inappropriate that statement is. It is not just our ability to play, but who we are as a whole person that really matters. And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make. By any measure, Clapton has enriched many lives. And what kind of impact have you had?

Some day, if the real God allows it, you will be "just an old man" and perhaps realize how inappropriate that statement is. It is not just our ability to play, but who we are as a whole person that really matters. And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make. By any measure, Clapton has enriched many lives. And what kind of impact have you had?
Amen to that, bro.

I always tell the young bucks calling someone a "has been"... Has been? You have to have been to be a has been. You're not even there yet. Back in line, junior.

Clapton would probably have been a rock GOD, alongside Jimi Hendrix, or Stevie Ray Vaughn. He just had the misfortune to not tragically die at a young age, leaving us to wonder what his career might have done. We know. Some of it was good, some bad, most was meh. In his youth Clapton was God, and nowadays he's just an old man.
Clapton and Townsend were huge before Jimi hit the scene. Clapton genuinely loved Jimi and was deeply affected when Jimi went to geetar heaven! Very tormented, Clapton knew deep down that Jimi's playing and compositional ideas were almost unattainable and he spent the rest of his life on his Blues quest. Better to be G^d for a while, than never to have been much to talk about...

My introduction to EC was about 50 years ago...listening to my older brother's Cream LP's regularly. Went on to develop an inexplicable, (somewhat mystical) connection / kinship to his music and his life.... probably the single biggest influence on me to pick up, and strive to learn the guitar. For me all along ( aside from the vices / indulgences), he has been a truly extraordinary artist and human being - to say the least. Long llve EC!.

Me being an old man is already closer then I would like. Less then two decades before I hit retirement age.

I can see why you mistook my remarks as some sort of attack on Clapton, it wasn't. Maybe a poorly worded observation. Heroes that are alive can never measure up to heroes that are dead. Dead guitar gods stay guitar gods. Alive ones, they fade away. Or worse disappoint. Man, was I disappointed when I heard Clapton do his unplugged rendition of Layla, turning it from a searing rock song, where he screamed at the universe for his unrequited love, into a comfy lawn chair campfire song. Completely killed it. That is why the dead can never disappoint. They will always stay young, always stay fresh, they will never do poor renditions of their greatest hits, never make questionable decisions. And maybe worst of all, grow old. See your once invincible rock god, your guitar hero, become old, I dunno, maybe it hits close to home, or maybe you just want them to go on forever, not see them fade, get frail and fail before your eyes. I'm happy for Clapton that he got to enjoy the fruits of his labor into an old age, I feel sad for him that he had to survive the death of his own child, but as far as Clapton is God is concerned, in that sense, if he had died young, then he would have truly transcended into Rock God status.

Clapton and Townsend were huge before Jimi hit the scene. Clapton genuinely loved Jimi and was deeply affected when Jimi went to geetar heaven! Very tormented, Clapton knew deep down that Jimi's playing and compositional ideas were almost unattainable and he spent the rest of his life on his Blues quest. Better to be G^d for a while, than never to have been much to talk about...

It's good for Clapton the man that he lives and continues to live. It's always good to enjoy the fruits of ones labor. It's not so good for Clapton the Myth that he continues to live. But no real man can live up to his own myth forever. Also, personally I think that compositional wise Clapton was better then Hendrix. Hendrix was probably the better guitar player and performer, but I think that overall Clapton had better songs.

EC was such a big influence on my music, I'm an old man too, but I came away from this documentary sad.

I don't need my musical heroes to be saints or roles models, but I found Eric in real life to be depressing in a way that made me sad and tarnished my view of him a little bit. It might be the way the film was portrayed that struck a certain feeling for me.

I too just watched this...no doubt that some of his life experiences were tragic. Maybe that's the price he had to pay to become a blues master. Although I love guitar, I'm just glad my life did not turn out like this...to heavy of a price to pay. Still a wonderful film about a talented and tormented man!

Man, was I disappointed when I heard Clapton do his unplugged rendition of Layla, turning it from a searing rock song, where he screamed at the universe for his unrequited love, into a comfy lawn chair campfire song. Completely killed it.
Your opinion of course, and your entitled to it. I really liked the new take on an old classic. And a good demonstration of fresh ideas from an aging "rock god".

I flipped the channels , came upon it , and was compelled to watch the entire film.
It's surprising to see someone like E.C. ; with their fame , fortune , and time spent with other amazing musicians , had also endured many hard times and tragedies.
It was sad , and gave me new found respect for his ability to fight through tough times and loss.
Unlike many musicians ; who chose to end their lives , selfishly and without cause ; just in the past few years alone , E.C. beat addiction , overcame abandonment , dealt with the struggles of friendship entwined with true love , and survived the tragic loss of his son.

I actually really hated it. It was not a celebration of his music, but more of a morbid reminder of the tragedy of addiction. There are a lot better places to read about his personal demons. I was bored.

I actually really hated it. It was not a celebration of his music, but more of a morbid reminder of the tragedy of addiction. There are a lot better places to read about his personal demons. I was bored.

I think Mr. Clapton thought that if he could save one tortured soul from having to go through this like he did (world famous guitarist or not), it was worth the effort! Peace.

Wonderful film, i really dug it. Clapton IS GOD, the man has impeccable vibrato and the old cliche Clapton can say more with one note than most can with a 100.

I came away similar. I personally don't use the word "hate". But I came away morose; not energized like I typically would of an artist documentary.

I came away similar. I personally don't use the word "hate". But I came away morose; not energized like I typically would of an artist documentary.

Most artist's documentaries are not what I would call , energizing OR uplifting. ( Unless it's about Sammy Hagar )

Most end in drug overdose , suicide , or fatal accident.

His life story was sad. A little boy rejected by his mom - that was enough for me.
Thru it all , he fulfilled his dreams of playing music for a living , met and befriended a multitude of famous entertainers. The Beatles.....to name a few. Kicked the habit , and is alive and well.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course. I can see why some are down from it , but it's a story worth being told , and I'm glad I was able to see it.

Back
Top Bottom