EQ Techniques

sgilsinger

Inspired
Would you guys mind taking a look at this preset and let me know which frequencies to cut to get rid of some of the metallic sound especially on the upper strings.Or anything I can change to improve this preset.I am on Quantum 4 firmware,I play through 2 Marshall 1960 4x12's on stage and run stereo to the board with the XLR's. The preset seems to be missing that tube warmth.Thanks for any and all help,it is greatly appreciated.

Two questions:
  1. Does the metallic sound go away when you bypass the Resonator? Since metallic is what it does......
  2. How is your signal getting to the onstage cabs? I don't see an FX Loop block, which can only mean you're sending the full signal with IRs included to your real cabs and FOH; or else, you've disabled Cab Modeling globally and FOH isn't getting a cab sound. Generally, this means that either your stage cab sound (with IRs going into real cabs) or your FOH sound (without any cab/IR filtering) doesn't sound good.
Disclaimer: I'm inspecting the preset with Fractool, I'm not in front of an Axe-Fx II to open and test it (and don't have a pair of real 4x12s either way).

More issues with your preset. The 3 parallel blocks at the front (Phaser, Comp, Flanger) all have the Thru bypass mode. This means when you bypass Phaser and Flanger in your scene 3 (clean?), your dry signal boosts significantly and you probably even phase issues since the Comp block is still enabled running parallel with dry blocks.

Thanks for your reply,the metallic sound doesn't go away with the resonator bypassed.It sounds like it's a little brittle,like its missing the tube warmth.I run out to a matrix amp then to the 4x12's from out 1 with cab sims for stage volume.I prefer the sound with the sims on.I haven't noticed a phase issue with scene 3,I adjusted the volume for each scene.

High gain isn't my thing so others more knowledgeable in that area would need to speak up.

What I can say is that I haven't needed to add an EQ beyond what's already in the amp and cab blocks, and that usually gets me to the tone in my head.

Maybe start a new preset from scratch with just the FAS Modern and the IRs you're using, and work on just the dry tone without the rest of the preset complexity.

Back
Top Bottom