EQ inside of the Cab Block...

mortega76

Fractal Fanatic
Would it be possible to "alter" the Cab "EQ" with a built-in cab EQ? Since the cab block alters the sound so much I think it would be awesome if we could alter that EQ curve within the block... The reason I don't think and EQ before or after would be the same is because if the Cab "signature" is killing most of your high end, wouldn't adding high end EQ before or after just be raising the noise floor?

No, it does not make more noise... it's digital.

Just drop a GEQ or a PEQ after the cab. Trust me, it's like magic.

If I could simply tell folks and they'd try it.... all the problems of the world would go away. Imagine World peace!! :D

Ok... but I wish there was an easy way to "see" the EQ curve of the cab so I know where to start...

mortega76 said:
Would it be possible to "alter" the Cab "EQ" with a built-in cab EQ? Since the cab block alters the sound so much I think it would be awesome if we could alter that EQ curve within the block... The reason I don't think and EQ before or after would be the same is because if the Cab "signature" is killing most of your high end, wouldn't adding high end EQ before or after just be raising the noise floor?
The cabinet block is linear, so is EQ. EQ before or after the cab will have the same effect. And that would be the same as "altering" the actual EQ effect of the cab block if there were such a thing. And the noise floor can be neglected inside the unit because it's floating point. The only real source of noise would be adding very small numbers to very big numbers but even then it's pretty much inconsequential.

mortega76 said:
Ok... but I wish there was an easy way to "see" the EQ curve of the cab so I know where to start...

You can do that with AlbertA custom syx conversion utility .. The only thing - it does display the EQ curve once you have the recorded wav impulse converting into syx ... I am not sure if you could display pre-existing syx though ...

Mik.

Scott Peterson said:
Use your ears.

I mean, really do it. It works.
Agreed. When I EQ, I often will go out of my way to not look (close my eyes and move the knob for example).

Scott Peterson said:
Use your ears.

Fine! I'll do it! Get off me already!

j/k- +1 on an eq at the end of the chain. Money shot.

Phil

When using VST software amp sims, I like the LPF and HPF built into Boogex and use them a lot. Would have been cool to have the same facility within the cab block in the Axe, BUT I agree, the PEQ just after the cab does the same AND much more, so…

Scott Peterson said:
Use your ears.

What? Those weird wiggly things on the side of your head? Do they actually have a use other than to tingle when licked?

Novel concept.
You know, I knew there was some use to this Forum. Wait, I'll have to show that to my wife. She always ask sme what the use is, why I spend those insane amounts of time on here.

Now I actually have an answer!

mik said:
mortega76 said:

You can do that with AlbertA custom syx conversion utility .. The only thing - it does display the EQ curve once you have the recorded wav impulse converting into syx ... I am not sure if you could display pre-existing syx though ...

Mik.

IT displays it for both.

AlbertA said:
mik said:
mortega76 said:

Mik.

IT displays it for both.
But how do we see the curve for stock cabs?

Thanks for all the responses fellas!!! I'm almost thinking of trying out just an EQ block instead of a cab and see how that works... :lol:

mortega76 said:

Thanks for all the responses fellas!!! I'm almost thinking of trying out just an EQ block instead of a cab and see how that works... :lol:

You'll have to sweep them.

AlbertA said:
mortega76 said:

You'll have to sweep them.
Maybe these guys can help?

sweep.gif

Back
Top Bottom